Random Thoughts.....

Dealing with titles in a casual professional work environment is funny.
A large % of people have PhDs. We pretty much all go by and call each other first name, except for some of the admin staff that come from military or other formal backgrounds, which I assume is just a training/comfort thing.
Nobody is the pretentious guy and corrects anybody, "Oh thats DOCTOR so and so" we just don't care.
But what about the opposite?

I have a coworker that only has 2 Masters degrees (MBA and Bioengineering), In many ways my intellectual superior. We are co-mentoring some interns.
She keeps referring to him as Dr So and So. Its difficult to know how to tell her, "Um, he's not a doctor." without seeming like a pretentious ass myself.

This is why first names are nice, just avoid it. But now I'm at the point where this young lady is a long term friend of my son, and since she was 7 I have been Mr or Dr. It hard to change.

Dealing with titles in a casual professional work environment is funny.
A large % of people have PhDs. We pretty much all go by and call each other first name, except for some of the admin staff that come from military or other formal backgrounds, which I assume is just a training/comfort thing.
Nobody is the pretentious guy and corrects anybody, "Oh thats DOCTOR so and so" we just don't care.
But what about the opposite?

I have a coworker that only has 2 Masters degrees (MBA and Bioengineering), In many ways my intellectual superior. We are co-mentoring some interns.
She keeps referring to him as Dr So and So. Its difficult to know how to tell her, "Um, he's not a doctor." without seeming like a pretentious ass myself.

This is why first names are nice, just avoid it. But now I'm at the point where this young lady is a long term friend of my son, and since she was 7 I have been Mr or Dr. It hard to change.
Nope, idc what degree you have. Your parents gave you a name and imma call you that. The kids principal tried to correct me for calling him by his first name, didn’t go the way he expected

Nope, idc what degree you have. Your parents gave you a name and imma call you that. The kids principal tried to correct me for calling him by his first name, didn’t go the way he expected
Buddy of mine became a med doctor a few years ago. Somehow in conversation it came up about whether I'd call him Doctor Blahblahblah, and I said "sure, as long as he calls me Engineer Blahblahblah, otherwise he's just gonna be Zach" ;)

Buddy of mine became a med doctor a few years ago. Somehow in conversation it came up about whether I'd call him Doctor Blahblahblah, and I said "sure, as long as he calls me Engineer Blahblahblah, otherwise he's just gonna be Zach" ;)
Yea wife works in dental field, she said some require them call them doctor “x” but she just calls them by their name and rolls on. Now her doctor doesn’t wanna be called doctor “x” so she calls him “doc” to mess with him. At the end of the day everyone puts their pants on the same way. I mean we don’t go to food lion and refer them to as cashier “x”

Austin Powers Typography GIF

Yea wife works in dental field, she said some require them call them doctor “x” but she just calls them by their name and rolls on. Now her doctor doesn’t wanna be called doctor “x” so she calls him “doc” to mess with him. At the end of the day everyone puts their pants on the same way. I mean we don’t go to food lion and refer them to as cashier “x”
My wife also works in the dental field and her first office she worked at, the 2 doctors insisted they refer to them as Dr. The office she works at now, every one calls the doctor by her first name... Much better place to boot too.

My wife took the boys to a kids birthday party at some bounce house place in Clayton today around lunch. Before she left, she placed an instacart order and proceeded to drive past no less than 4 grocery stores to get home. I'm not real sure how I feel about this 🤣

I hear all these stories about growing up in the 70's and while I didn't grow up in that era, I had to be the best time to be a kid/teenager. I grew up in the 90's and I thought that was awesome, but I still can't imagine what it would have been like to grow up during the 70's. Seems like the freedom itself was glorious all on its own.

I hear all these stories about growing up in the 70's and while I didn't grow up in that era, I had to be the best time to be a kid/teenager. I grew up in the 90's and I thought that was awesome, but I still can't imagine what it would have been like to grow up during the 70's. Seems like the freedom itself was glorious all on its own.
The 80’s were pretty rad.

Yea, 60’s were awesome. No color TV, no cable or satellite, no cell phones, party lines on your home phone, no microwaves, walk or bike to grade school, to name a few. The list could go on for a long time. Glad I was part of that era for sure

Yea, 60’s were awesome. No color TV, no cable or satellite, no cell phones, party lines on your home phone, no microwaves, walk or bike to grade school, to name a few. The list could go on for a long time. Glad I was part of that era for sure
My daughter is 6 and trying to get her to go outside is almost like pulling teeth. If she had some kids her age in our neighborhood that she could go and play with, I think she'd def do it. But I literally drive around neighborhoods and see NO kids riding their bikes or anything... they are all inside...

My daughter is 6 and trying to get her to go outside is almost like pulling teeth. If she had some kids her age in our neighborhood that she could go and play with, I think she'd def do it. But I literally drive around neighborhoods and see NO kids riding their bikes or anything... they are all inside...
Glad my boys are geared towards being outside. It's like pulling teeth to get them to go in for bed!

While it was 25+ years ago... my son loved computers/video games/TV *badly*.
We explained that's all good, but only at a ratio of chores/"school work" and *outdoor activities*... pay into that "bank" and you can withdraw the "interest" afterwards (never beforehand = welfare), so spend 4 hours doing chores/homework/biking/digging cat turds outta the sandbox AND ONLY THEN was he allowed to nerd out 15-30 mins. While we'll just say some things were done in haste/half-assed (especially cleaning his room 🙄), he understood what it took to get the "prize" and was decent... until he hit the terrible teens (you hath be forewarned) 🤣

Any time my wife or I see a kid or especially a group of kids out riding their bikes around the neighbourhood, we can't help but comment how cool it is to see that. ...that's sad.

I'm convinced all the kids in my neighborhood are allergic to the sun. The only time you see them is waiting for the school bus, or walking home after getting off the school bus. We have lived here almost 11 years and it has been the same way the entire time. My son is 13 now and has never had any friends in the neighborhood to play with.

I'm convinced all the kids in my neighborhood are allergic to the sun. The only time you see them is waiting for the school bus, or walking home after getting off the school bus. We have lived here almost 11 years and it has been the same way the entire time. My son is 13 now and has never had any friends in the neighborhood to play with.
Yeah, its weird. Most that I am seeing now are walking with a hoodie on with the hood over their head, looking down at their phones and they just exist. Even in high school before I had a cell phone, we would hang out and talk about whatever and see whos parents weren't home and go to their house and eat and I just feel bad for my daughter because, I want her to be able to go outside in our neighborhood and just play. Trying to get a playdate with one of her friends from school is almost as hard too.

This is one thing that i am very much looking forward to in the spot where i will be building a house (hopefully) soon. Its a small "neighborhood", with about 6 houses on a gravel road, but there are at least 5 other kids in the age range to play with my kids. All the lots are 15+ acres, wooded, and the kids are very much outdoor play types. All the them play in treehouses, have farm critters, creeks to play in, dirt bikes, etc like kids did when i was growing up. I truly think it will be a great place for them to grow up, even though it isn't a traditional neighborhood with lots more kids living there.

When I was buying our land, my mother in law was very concerned that our kids wouldn't have other kids to play with. I told her exactly what y'all are saying. Most kids in a neighborhood would play with the neighbors on online games and not face to face, so being near other kids is irrelevant with todays youth.

As luck would have it, a young couple bought one of the houses my land is behind, and has a little boy almost the same age as our youngest.

My son is 13 now and has never had any friends in the neighborhood to play with.
When the kids were 10, 8 & 6 we specifically moved INTO a neighborhood thinking it was best for the kids. Picked a great section on a corner with a cul-de-sac behind us. That part of the neighborhood was underdeveloped and we had NO immediate neighbors on either side or behind us (for YEARS) but plenty of houses just down the street towards the main neighborhood rd.
We joined the pool, did all the normal things the rest of the family's with kids our age did. But NONE of my kids were friends with anyone in the neighborhood. Ironically my kids all befriended other kids that lived in homes with acreage NOT in a neighborhood, and usually several miles from us. Of course those friend always planned sleep overs at halloween at our house #becausefullsizecandybars and #rolexwatchesfortreats :shaking: but the kids in our neighborhood were all stuck up twats and my wife and I didn't attend HPU so we were the rednecks of the neighborhood :laughing:, and while we SAW Molly Corbett at the pool (yeah she turned heads) we were never part of that clique (thank heavens)

When kids (me) were in school in the 70's, we weren't overloaded with homework. I keep hearing friends complaining about their kids having 4-6 hours of homework at night. Back in the day, I got all mine done at school. Homeroom, lunch, breaks between class, and it was all done. Except the usual typing up a termpaper on Sunday night because it's due the next day.

I don't think kids are any smarter now because of it.

I am thankful for Facebook. In the past, people didn't know any better and would believe anything they were told.

Again, back in the day, all the neighborhood kids hung out, we biked, played together, hiked in woods, built forts and threw dirt clods at each other, played football, etc.literally every day it was nice out. To be cooped up in the house was like jail to us. I feel the internet and it’s byproducts are the main reason society has changed. Take all of that away I think the world would be a lot happier place.

When kids (me) were in school in the 70's, we weren't overloaded with homework. I keep hearing friends complaining about their kids having 4-6 hours of homework at night. Back in the day, I got all mine done at school. Homeroom, lunch, breaks between class, and it was all done. Except the usual typing up a termpaper on Sunday night because it's due the next day.

I don't think kids are any smarter now because of it.
Homeschool FTW.

Back