Red YJ Build

Over the past week I’ve been working on the wiring and interior. I got a switch panel knocked out, wired up the arb, installed rear 6x9 speakers and pods, installed a marine amp, installed cup holders, and got some sound deadening/hear sheilding laid under the carpet. Now it’s just some little things hear and there and she’ll be ready for a good shakedown run.
9772A9B5-44CF-4CC4-86A1-C891F4AD0758.jpeg

A865F3CC-63C2-4F4B-9711-AAC84B46A66D.jpeg

8C8A5EAE-8FD1-42EE-8F75-3F9A4325F02A.jpeg

3C55298D-8BB1-40D7-9F0C-8332616DE0B4.jpeg

9B51B36F-AA8D-4D54-B6A9-90C2DD72C048.jpeg

So the rig made it's first real wheeling trip (Harlan). For the most part it was a success and it was a point and shoot rig. Had to winch once at the top of Grape Vine and got denied at the waterfall. Other than that, it walked almost everywhere. There were some set backs on this trip. Day one I lost the driver front brake line. Day two the hose going from the thermostat to the heater core split. Day three the driver side leaf spring bent. I'm also fairly positive the front frame rails bent upwards at some point during the trip. None of these things were all that damning on the trip but what was the worst of it all was the ride quality. The rear leaf springs were so stiff it was miserable to drive at any kind of speed. It would kick the jeep around and no one (myself included) really wanted to ride in it.

As soon as I got home I got the jeep washed off and cleaned up. Took inventory of all the damages and started putting a list of "fixes" needed. Once that was complete I set off to ordering everything needed to 4 link the rear. @Chris_Keziah hooked me up with a fairly large order from Barnes and I also ordered some 14" Fox coilovers. The Barnes order came in Saturday and the coilovers should be delivered tomorrow. Then it's off to the races to tear down the rear and do it the way I should have from the get go.

Not many pictures were taken this trip because we were all too busy actually wheeling. Even with all of the above issues, it was an awesome time with awesome friends.

IMG_3846[1].JPG
IMG_3853[1].JPG
UWZSE7253[1].JPG
IMG_3860[1].JPG
IMG_3861[1].JPG

Do you miss the automatic trans much?

sometimes. But, having the ability to keep it in whatever gear I want for as long as I want is nice. I can’t say I’ve been in a situation yet where I thought to myself “I wish I had an auto”. Ultimately I’ll end up with one again but that’s because it’ll be behind an LS

sometimes. But, having the ability to keep it in whatever gear I want for as long as I want is nice. I can’t say I’ve been in a situation yet where I thought to myself “I wish I had an auto”. Ultimately I’ll end up with one again but that’s because it’ll be behind an LS
I might have to let you drive mine. An LS with a strong manual behind it is a whole different kinda love. ;)

Well I’ve been dragging my feet with this build lately. Finally got around to replacing the JP seats with some XPs. To do so I have to completely cut out and redo the seat frames. All that’s left to finish up is install the harnesses and remake the center cup holders/cover plate.

Tonight the tear down of the rear started. No pictures of that taken but the leafs, shocks, and front leaf hangers have been removed. The shock towers and frame side mounts have been welded together and are held in place with C clamps while I run some numbers for link triangulation, separation and anti squat. So far I’m able to get 51* of triangulation, 10” of axle side separation, and a 53% anti squat. Targeting 6” of up travel which means the fuel cell that’s recessed will have to be moved and the rear crossmember below the rear seat will need to be removed.

196F357F-2984-4CFC-BECA-8696BCCE0837.jpeg
64EDA90E-543E-41E1-8721-D962757785DE.jpeg

Looking great, wanna bring that welder over and make my XPs fit in my YJ? :D

Not really much to show but I’ve gotten the frame cleaned up and link mounts tacked in. The axle is out, cleaned, truss welded on and link mounts tacked on. I’m not the greatest welder but I’m getting more comfortable with this machine and techniques.

Next steps is to put the axle back under the Jeep and double check my link lengths. Then it’ll be time to cut some tube and cycle the axle for clearances and full bump.

0A11967F-EB87-4759-AD52-0610A29CFA18.jpeg
1832D47E-86CF-407C-AD98-31EA699BB0E6.jpeg
95D2F74A-205E-475E-BE6C-D8E94C68B86A.jpeg

Not really much to show but I’ve gotten the frame cleaned up and link mounts tacked in. The axle is out, cleaned, truss welded on and link mounts tacked on. I’m not the greatest welder but I’m getting more comfortable with this machine and techniques.

Next steps is to put the axle back under the Jeep and double check my link lengths. Then it’ll be time to cut some tube and cycle the axle for clearances and full bump.

View attachment 340922View attachment 340923View attachment 340924
Looking good buddy!

He’s right, we leave a week from tomorrow hurry up.

That link mount seems really low. Can you get your angles right if you inboard that mount?

I’m using the Barnes 4 link brackets where the upper is tied into the lower. It’s the same that was used on Troy’s. It does hang down lower than I’d like but it’ll help keep my lowers less than 10* from horizontal at ride height

What you doing with them old seats @adamk

all of my old seats are either gone or spoken for.

Huge shout out to @Chris_Keziah at RLF for saving my night and about a week or so on this build by getting me out of my tubing pinch.

got all the links tacked together and started cycling the suspension. I’ve got some obvious places to trim under the tub and along the fuel cell mount. I’m going to try my hardest to keep the recessed cell but, if I can’t, the floor will get patched and the cell will move up into the cab fully.

also started mocking up coilover placement. They’re looking like they will have to mount behind the axle if I want to keep from cutting out any of the wheel well.

97A45322-42F3-4DC3-ABB7-2FFB5D000FD0.jpeg
5B60C1EA-A76D-4D8A-8FF7-40693498CEFF.jpeg

Huge shout out to @Chris_Keziah at RLF for saving my night and about a week or so on this build by getting me out of my tubing pinch.

got all the links tacked together and started cycling the suspension. I’ve got some obvious places to trim under the tub and along the fuel cell mount. I’m going to try my hardest to keep the recessed cell but, if I can’t, the floor will get patched and the cell will move up into the cab fully.

also started mocking up coilover placement. They’re looking like they will have to mount behind the axle if I want to keep from cutting out any of the wheel well.

View attachment 341002View attachment 341003
All of this is making me regret not linking mine

i should have listened to everyone from the get go and linked it then. But, I’m here now so it is what it is. I HATED the way those leafs rode

Yep, it truly was the worst riding Jeep I ever rode in.

Back