Red YJ Build

#TRUTH

I can't believe it was really that bad. I mean I can cause it was but I'm officially done with leafs.

Yup, that was my only non-negotiable requirement for the new rig, absolutely no leaf springs! ORIs ride great so far ;)

So today was a long, busy day. Picked up a trailer that was forsale on the forum since I’ve been hunting for one for some time now.

When I got home, work started on the Jeep. The rear shock towers are in, the axle is fully welded minus bump pads and limit strap mounts. The axle is painted and I’ll just spot clean the areas needed for the bumps and straps. Trimming under the tub is done and I’ll be able to keep the fuel cell as it is. I did find that the shock towers I ordered were too short. I had to make filler plates below them in the frame. This also means sacrificed up travel. Without cutting up into the wheel wells, I was only able to squeeze out 5” of uptravel. I’m not overly pleased about that but it’s far better than it was (since the leafs were so stiff) and also much better than the rear of my old XJ where it was only 2-3” at best.

hopefully tomorrow the frame side brackets and links will get fully welded and then it’ll be time to set it on it’s own weight and measure for spring rates. I’m concerned that with only 5” of uptravel, the combined rate is going to be very soft to keep the current ride height. It’s looking like I’ll need a sway bar to help with some of the anticipated body roll that will come with those soft rates.

D2FF6C12-240C-4688-B0DC-DE2E906B621A.jpeg
3A514481-B2EF-4FAB-B79C-F4AC1EF21C85.jpeg
3702B5F6-3447-4940-B3A3-245B6A3E7352.jpeg

271301E5-AF70-4372-AFF8-F96FD62ED1BB.jpeg

Well progress has been made but not at the pace I was intending. My wife and I have started the search to purchase our first home so a lot of time has been dedicated to that endeavor. But, the rear suspension is now done. The fuel cell and brake lines are on. Exhaust has been welded up, and the harnesses have been reinstalled. Next on the list is to brace the front frame. Harlan showed that I did not brace it well enough and it bent the front (from the motor mounts forward) upward. I’ll be pulling that back down and then running tube from the shock towers to the frame just in front of the first tub mounts. The sides of the frame will also be plated and the two items together should produce a more rigid front end.

626A1320-32B6-4C4E-83F9-F71293E63FF9.jpeg
993DC6D7-A331-410F-931B-D02D3BE486A9.jpeg
CECAAA59-8D22-4700-93AE-8384A4F71EE9.jpeg
A3CEAFFD-8058-4042-988C-8F60757EE6AB.jpeg
0BC28A24-304E-4B00-9B72-D3AAEBB27C1E.jpeg
2F3452C2-95D8-4CC4-9BA1-C3B0DC78DAE3.jpeg

Tonight I got the front reinforced from the coilover tower to the frame just in front of the first tub mount. Also took it for its first real test drive. All I can say is wow. Never again will I have leafs. I should have done this from the beginning. Also, I’ve determined I want a rear sway bar. The body roll now is much greater with the rear suspension allowing the Jeep to move freely

90823DE4-3014-44B5-BA61-C8AAAEE16F51.jpeg
60AADB37-B2FA-4AD2-BD62-5988940DA438.jpeg

Thanks man. It's a tough market right now. Every house we have looked at has gone for at or above asking and most have accepted an offer in less than 48 hours of listing. I hate it because it's basically impulse buying.
Keep asking around and find a friend of a friend selling before it’s on the market.

Got out to Uwharrie this past weekend for a shake down run. Learned a ton about this rig and made some changes to the spring preloads which drastically increased it's ride quality. Also learned to make sure the shocks are charged when extended as I only charged them when they were at ride height. Once getting everything dialed in to the best of my ability/knowledge (not saying much there) it was amazing how well this thing rode. Made a couple speed runs from one end of Daniel to the other and it was like riding on a cloud the entire time. I can only imagine what a completely tuned and dialed in suspension would feel like as we only scratched the surface. No pictures were actually taken by our group since we were just enjoying ourselves cruising around but someone did snag this pic as we rolled past.

IMG_4142[1].JPG

No real updates as of late. I've been spending a good bit of time behind the wheel driving this around town when I need to run quick errands. Ever since I got this thing up and running, I've noticed the smell of it running rich. Well, after a trip to Lowes one day, the check engine light came on. Ran the codes and, sure enough, O2 sensor detected a rich condition. After doing some digging, there's two things I'm going to do. 1) replace the injectors as these are the original ones from the factory. Bought some 4 hole injectors to replace them and they are in the garage awaiting installation. 2) check the return line to the tank for any obstructions. I'll likely just unhook from both ends and run some air through it. Because this Jeep sat for so long, I suspect some of the old fuel has probably gummed up the return line.

I've also been fighting an intermittent fuel gauge. The frame side wire harness tested good and I'm able to manually influence the gauge with resistors at the connector going to the sending unit. The sending unit checked out fine by simply ohming out the wires as I moved the float so I'm somewhat stumped. It could just be a connection issue at the sending unit but I haven't done any more digging into this since the first attempt. It's not a deal breaker but it would be nice to have some sort of observation of fuel level without needing to go open the cell and look.

So I replaced the injectors and blew out the return line last week. Out of curiosity, I pulled the dip stick and noticed it was VERY full and the oil smelled of gas. Definitely had a stuck injector after finding that. I then changed the oil and drained 8 quarts out of the motor :eek:. I have a habit of always checking my drain pan after an oil change and this was not a pretty sight. There's no bottom end noise and oil pressure when rolling down the road is good. Hot idle is a little low, around 20-25psi, but I'll just send it and keep an eye on pressure and noise, as well as inspect again at the next oil change (if it gets that far since this oil only had 200 miles on it). It seems my future plans of LS swapping this thing may come sooner than planned.

IMG_4276[1].JPG
IMG_4277[1].JPG

No bueno :popcorn:

Got some more seat time this past weekend at Good Evening Ranch. It was a blast and the jeep performed very well. There are some items I want to change/address before the next trip. The seats need to be leaned back a couple degrees, cup holders need to be reinstalled, all links need to be tightened/have jamb nuts tacked, and I'd really like to get the AC charged.

EKTD2433[1].JPG
IMG_1793[1].JPG
IMG_1799[1].JPG
IMG_1805[1].JPG
IMG_4340[1].JPG
IMG_4314[1].JPG

Went to Uwharrie Father's Day weekend and took my parents to ride with me. Was an easy day of cruising the trails. I did notice that the power steering pump as whining all day and it was almost impossible to turn on pavement with the hubs locked. I believe the factory pump is now dead (not surprising because it has never been replaced). So, I ordered a PSC pump and reservoir that should be delivered today (thanks @tobaccoroad4wd) and I plan to install this weekend. I also bought a CJ tailgate and Swag tailgate kit from Justin and got that installed last night. I did learn that painting in the humidity makes for an awful haze in the paint but a heat gun can remove it.

IMG_4401[1].JPG
IMG_4398[1].JPG

Oh I also ordered a set of soft jaws for my vice so I can disassemble the rear bumps and limit them finally. Since install they have just been sitting there, uncharged and acting as solid bump stops. Also ordered a Joe's racing steering wheel and disconnect that should be here tomorrow.

Got the new PSC pump and reservoir installed this weekend. Of course, anything that could go wrong did. First I found out I ordered the wrong pulley and had to get a replacement from the parts store just to get it back together. Then I found out I ordered the wrong steering wheel disconnect and had to order another. Finally, the PS cooler I had decided it didn’t want to come free of the return line and it broke at one of the weld seams so I had to get a replacement. After all the set backs I got it all together today and bled the system. Steering is nice and smooth but still difficult with the hubs locked, stickies, and on pavement. But, the pump doesn’t whine so at least there’s that. The new steering wheel disconnect should be here this week.

0F74ED21-4B70-4038-8197-513B1F4AC814.jpeg
10CCAFDC-9504-46B1-8648-B120CEDFA167.jpeg
25612FFA-1480-4ECE-9EC9-E586E2CD3F47.jpeg
3BD2213F-1BA5-4B3D-BE74-4354A568F1A8.jpeg

Headed to Kairos this past weekend. Didn't wheel much because the driver side hub decided it didn't want to stay in one piece and I left my spare at home. While winching out the windshield met a tree. Since the trails were ended early for me, it just meant more time spent at the river. It was a blast of a trip and I can't wait to go back (even if it's just to hang by the river). The new steering did work very well so that's also a positive. I've already called G2 and they have a new set of hubs shipping out tomorrow and should be here Friday. I will say their customer service was great.

IMG_4438.JPG
IMG_4439.JPG
IMG_4448.JPG
IMG_4449.JPG
IMG_4450.JPG

Last edited:
Replacement hubs came in and got them installed about a week or so ago. Since then, the Jeep has sat untouched until today. Had some free time when I got home from work so I pulled the rear bumps and finally pulled them apart. Tomorrow at work I’ll make spacers to limit them. Spoke with the mfg a few months back and they just use 1.75 DOM so that’s what I’ll use. These will be limited from 4” to 2” bumps.

ABC79195-75C6-4EB5-A5AA-3DC448E1AFF3.jpeg
DE44E974-8E63-4899-952B-BECB3D666823.jpeg

Back