RLF Shop Thread

Sometimes you gotta wait because your younger self wasn't ready for it.

I learned 14 years ago that working on vehicles for a living took all of the enjoyment out of working on my own crap, which is a full-time job in and of itself. That's why I know plumbers with leaks, body shop guys with dents/bad paint, and lanscapers with normal looking or shaggy yards. Your stuff doesn't pay and you don't feel like doing it.

So when I can finally step out and work for myself, I'll probably be running equipment clearing land and digging stumps. I'll probably have a shop and do something sorta like @mcutler does...just nowhere near his skill set. From what I gather, he works for himself and that's his full time job, but he pumps out the amazing stuff as he has time as a "side hustle" and just makes all of us jealous because that's the kinda guy he is :D :flipoff2:

I happen to enjoy running equipment and made good money doing it in my free time. It never felt like a job whether I was doing it for someone or at my house. So, it should be a good "job" that will allow me to tinker and still do the stuff that I like to do. Fix stuff, solid axle swaps, motor swaps, build transmissions, welding jobs, and machine work.

If I was able to stand school, I'd have been a legal drug dealer, made bank, and done whatever TF I wanted. Alas, I am destined for blue collar and I'm cool with that.

That's why I know plumbers with leaks, body shop guys with dents/bad paint, and lanscapers with normal looking or shaggy yards.
"The shoemaker has no shoes"

Who are you that's so wise in the ways of science?!

Random connection, but reminded me of this...

cd2gqjyfxka21.jpg

Well I hate to see this happen because you were def a breath of fresh air from what I've seen and experienced from other shops and I really appreciate you taking care of the people that I sent your way. I had a couple small projects of my own I was hoping you could help with but they are a ways off so maybe you could fit them in. But kudos to you for figuring this out now and not when you're covered up and and can't see the forest for the trees.
I've been self employed for over 35 years and I think that if I had taken another route not in my line of work long ago I just may have been a lot better off by now. Not that I'm in a bad way, I've done well but I may have developed better personally with more outside influences...or I may have said screw them and did what I wanted to anyway! :laughing:
Good luck Chris!

Chuck Schumer Im Talking GIF by GIPHY News

Was going to post about the work you did today. Still extremely impressed by the work done man. Nice to finally have someone I can trust to do a good job on my junk. Thanks again man. Ill definitely be needing more services in the future. Ill make sure and reach out well in advance when the time comes.

Chuck Schumer Im Talking GIF by GIPHY News

Was going to post about the work you did today. Still extremely impressed by the work done man. Nice to finally have someone I can trust to do a good job on my junk. Thanks again man. Ill definitely be needing more services in the future. Ill make sure and reach out well in advance when the time comes.
Yeah I'll definitely still take work on in the future, just need to get back to wheeling before I do take anything back on.

Appreciate it, the Yukon was a bit of fresh air being different than most things I've had in the shop.

Not much to add Chris other than I've enjoyed looking at your work and builds, you do great work man! I do understand about the whole "self employed" thing. Some days, not many, but some I do get overwhelmed with being self employed and I totally hear you on the whole "not enough time for your own rig" thing, I still struggle with that above anything else. But good luck in your new adventures and glad you'll be getting back out to the woods!!

Man, I'm glad you were able to land back on your feet.

Main take away I see from this endeavor is that you were able to do it, were successful at it and decided to change focus/priorities after a while. Most definitely not a failure.

I also see and hear no negative feedback from anyone and this is something to be absolutely proud of.

Thanks for sharing the projects in this thread and keep doing it please, this is very cool.

I hate to see it but I'm glad you're able to make the decision based on what you want. You were an honest shop that did GREAT work. If it means you'll get your rig done and back on the trails I'm happy for you.

What would you suggest I swap into my TJ? An 8.8 or a JKD44?
TJ D35 has higher MOT than a stock 44. That's probably your best bet.

Just over here sounding like a drug dealer...just give him a little taste of the 1 ton life to get him hooked :D

Good thing is...once you go that route, you won't be able to afford any other habits!

Most people wind up going that route eventually anyway, so if you start with that, you save yourself the money of destroying all the 44s during the process šŸ˜‚

Just over here sounding like a drug dealer...just give him a little taste of the 1 ton life to get him hooked :D

Good thing is...once you go that route, you won't be able to afford any other habits!

Most people wind up going that route eventually anyway, so if you start with that, you save yourself the money of destroying all the 44s during the process šŸ˜‚
While I dont disagree, there is something to be said about learning to drive on small tires and axles.

While I dont disagree, there is something to be said about learning to drive on small tires and axles.

You mean finesse and moderation? Pffft...who needs any of that? Just send itttt :D

I agree though. I'd rock stock axles to their limits (in something sub-6000 lbs šŸ˜‚) and see what they could do, but skip the mild upgrades or full axle swaps and just go right to the tons! Unless you know for sure you can leave well enough alone. I don't exactly have that ability for some things šŸ˜¬ I'm also always messing with full size trucks, so it makes more sense to go ahead and go D60 front right to start with in that case.

Pavement duty and an occasional trail experience on the UNF level. Which is really all 35 inch tires are going to accomplish on a regular basis.....any of the mentioned axles below tons will work.

Let's face it. Unless you plan to go outside UNF or forestry roads the trail feature go from blah to wooompah!
Unless you want to go well West of the creek called the Mississippi.

Coolaid isn't for everyone.

Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe shit. This was the later, guessing I didn't get near enough preheat in these before I started welding and this is now looking like a problem for tomorrow me after dinner.
20221122_220751.jpg

Damn I missed a lot! Sorry I never got back to you about my trailer, wedding planning and other projects ate up all my spare pennies and time.

Happy to hear you got an opportunity to bring some fun back to your hobbies though! I love working on stuff for fun, I couldn't ever work for a paycheck though.

Back