Rutherfordton Nc Ford 8n retrieval and Resurrection. I hope!

The sheet metal. A little rusty.
6F3921B7-C7FE-43BB-9499-31155E7BE98C.jpeg

So smells like varnish in the tank. Good sign it holds gas. Needs a rim for sure. Starter appears to be locked up. Needs a carb and a radiator. Of course all new ignition parts. Going to be an adventure.

I seent it with my own eyes this afternoon, and it would look pretty darn decent with the sheet metal on and a new right rear wheel and tire. Calcium whatchamacallit must have eaten that wheel up, because the rest of it just looks normal outside tractor rusty.

I've got a '55 Ferguson TO-35.

There's lots of good places online to get parts for the old Fords and Fergusons. They've got a huge following.

You can’t go wrong with what you have in it.

Pulled the starter today. She's done. Found half wires to the brushes and the brushes were well worn. So in an effort to see if she will run I ordered a starter, carburetor, and ignition parts. Once I see if she will run I'll start looking for other things I know she needs. The inner piece of the rim is toast. My neighbor came to help unload and said he thinks he has one I can have. It will need a radiator too. So until next weekend I'll put a tarp over her and wait.

@ghost i had to buy a rear rim for mine, I found one in SC on Craigslist for $50, he had another one let me dig and see if I still have his number
Is this guy near me or more near Charlotte?

Starter, carb, and tune up parts are here. Installed the starter and put some Mystery oil in the cylinders to turn it over. Nothing but thumping from solenoid. I replaced it
So we have a new starter new solenoid and I ran a ground wire to battery for the solenoid. The solenoid that was on it wasn’t what I was expecting. It also has a keyed starter switch instead of the button. I think the keyed switch is wired wrong to starter and the resistor that is on this one.

New starter installed.

3EFD0CD3-C202-450C-9D88-4AEE8584DD98.jpeg

Old solenoid was clicking only some times so I figured I'd replace it.

17E8A81D-965B-4004-8E82-91A7A985EA18.jpeg

New solenoid wired like the old one.

6F455866-9BF0-41A2-AF91-BA30686AB688.jpeg

Keyed switch. Has a start function and button start is not wired in. I'll trace the wires and figure out where they are all going.

35174B88-F4D2-4BB5-AB81-E3C39296E0AC.jpeg

Also the switch has 5 poles but only 3 are used.

There are two wires to coil one is tied into the hot side of starter solenoid. Other goes to the second post on the solenoid. Labeled I on some images I’ve googled. I’ll steal one and post it.

32025132-6155-4485-8011-94C23AE26DA7.jpeg

I would just attach a jumper cable to the the battery and hit the starter terminal with it to see if it is going to turn over. Unless you are specifically trying to turn it over with the key.

I would just attach a jumper cable to the the battery and hit the starter terminal with it to see if it is going to turn over. Unless you are specifically trying to turn it over with the key.
Yes my neighbor came down in his WIlly's and we were looking at it and testing things. Ends up the 12.xx volts on the battery were not enough to turn it over. Jumped it with the my jeep and she spins good! We tested compression with a finger and found two lacking. Added some oil and one came back. Stuck valve. After some more looking we think the one cylinder with no compression is a stuck open exhaust valve. For giggles we hooked up two of the wires to plugs and they sparked.... I'm feeling good now about this thing. When I get back at it I'll open the valve adjust part up and see if I can get that one free. Then on to carb and fuel and tune up parts.

Last edited:
Hey...at least it's not a 6 volt, positive ground system!
My grandfather's Super A is pos ground.

Funny story about my cousins 40's Ford panel van. She couldn't get it running after her boyfriend replaced the battery. She asked me to look at it. Turns out he hooked it up traditionally, but it was a pos ground. Killed the brand new 6v battery of course.

Back