Rutherfordton Nc Ford 8n retrieval and Resurrection. I hope!

That sombitch was heavy just rolling it. Broke out the HF 1” socket set.

FB2D1E61-9E6F-41AE-B45A-5BC104985E18.jpeg

876B1FCB-AD4D-4866-9BC3-90BEB2CD2581.jpeg

Got the intake gasket in. Tomorrow I’ll mount the hood and tank. Hopefully a test drive.

Last edited:
Ok popped the cover to check the hydraulics. I’m not sure what’s going on here.

Ok popped the cover to check the hydraulics. I’m not sure what’s going on here.
View attachment 368106
Looks like the fluid slinger is slinging fluid.

Probably low on fluid and definitely has water in it. Drain it, spray it out with brake parts cleaner with the drain open, then follow with WD40, then ideally squirt some correct hydraulic fluid in there for a final wash down before closing off the plug. Then fill it up and go to town. You may still have to do another drain/refill cycle to get it good and clean, but it's an old 8N so it doesn't have to be perfect. If that doesn't fix it, you will probably have to pull the top cover and replace some seals.

Ok so drained it out. I didn’t clean like Mat said because I just checked back here. Went to TS and bought a pump and 5 gallon bucket of oil. Plan to drain this down to see if relief valve is open.

Attachments

• IMG_3424.MOV
    12.6 MB
  • IMG_3423.MOV
    14 MB
Ok so drained it out. I didn’t clean like Mat said because I just checked back here. Went to TS and bought a pump and 5 gallon bucket of oil. Plan to drain this down to see if relief valve is open.

Mentioned in the FB thread, but used TSC "Universal" (meets the specs) over the "Ford" specific variant... has been great.
Unfortunately, my sump and axle was fawking CAKED with filth and required a wee more effort than simply draining 🙄

Haven't followed the tread in some time, but found something that you may need, on Market Place.
It's Always, wish I'd seen that last week / month!
1956 Ferguson to30
$500
Listed a day ago in Cherryville, NC
Rear tries look great!, if nothing else.

Add says no tires though. I have a line on some in Columbia. Found a 8n that a guy got running and the block let go. A lot of good parts but he wants a grand for it.

Ok so finally got around to putting it all back together.
All cleaned up. Had piles of gunk in the bottom.
3BFE4DAD-FF1E-4B0C-91B5-6E24FF3C04E0.jpeg

When I pulled it apart there were no gaskets.

18685B7D-7251-4587-B9F2-205D8ED667D2.jpeg

That moment when you realize you left something out.....

939E1C60-F124-4C53-B5DE-994A7ACEB256.jpeg

A little update. I got the pump in and tested it. Shot oil up the tube! I tied to remount the top cover.
Sweet! Unless you've got a cherry picker or a *couple* buds to assist, wait until you do!
While you can likely get that cover on, getting the rod down into the socket correctly *WITHOUT* bending it, pooching the gasket, or mashing/mangling a digit is a chore...

Sweet! Unless you've got a cherry picker or a *couple* buds to assist, wait until you do!
While you can likely get that cover on, getting the rod down into the socket correctly *WITHOUT* bending it, pooching the gasket, or mashing/mangling a digit is a chore...
So the Ferguson has a two piece rod. It comes apart in the rear end. It's been a learning curve for sure. Leon, I think that is his name, At Bundy Bear has been indespensable. Top cover is on. Got to put the pins in and test it out. Ran out of time yesterday. This video shows it well:

Took me a while to figure out why it wasn’t going back together the way it came out. What I found was the feet I’ll call them on the control valve were facing up when they should have been down. Those little feet keep me from putting the pins in.

So now it will at least move. I found some brake rods for a Ferguson on eBay for about $40 so I bought them. I'll be working on that next.

Everything I have read says they don't work well and steer horribly.

Need a top link and some pins to hook it up. I’ve discovered the other rim needs to definitely be replaced or repaired but we are going to test this thing today anyway. I’ve also come across a parts tractor for $350.
591B7397-B60E-41B3-A14D-FC8080CA9352.jpeg

Back