The Dana 35 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Evidently out of your budget. Broke ring and pinion once 2 shafts and an ARB. Warped the heck out of the housing also.

I thank you for information, and then you would insult me by making assumptions about my level of income and amout of disposable income? I will make an assumption also, you swapped in the dana 44 being told it was the answers to all life's problems. But that wasn't true, based on the use of a super kit for it. One more assumption is that you did not install the super kit when the axles were installed, but breaking parts of an axle I am dumb for not installing in my tj was the need for the super kit?

Bigger shafts, carriers, ring gear

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I guess this goes for this post, and all the regurgitated ones following it. An increase in size is not a difference in design. The dana 35 and Ford 8.8 are the same design, the 8.8 is just a larger, stronger axle in most aspects.

Says the guy with built 60s lol

And if none of that makes since fucking build that shit and walk that jeeps candied ass up Daniel or easy Street at the flats.

I would never even think about setting foot on daniel.

See above. Everyone else has already answered. What gearing is your jeep now? You can most likely find a 8.8 with the correct gearing in a junkyard for cheap. Thats how I did mine. I welded on new spring perches, hooked the brakes up and wheeled it.

Still calling April Fools/epic trolling...

Thank you for the advice, unfortunately I am looking for 4.88 gearing since my tj is a 4cyl. Unfortunately welding up new spring perches and hooking up the brakes won't work for my jeep. The entire issue of wanting a locker, having said gearing, and needing a new drive shaft would also come into play

I do have to admit I have been very well amused by this thread. 106 posts, and not one person can give first hand advice on the question I asked. I don't know how to respond to the broken "super shaft" with a lunchbox locker, and all the broken parts that would be replaced with what my asked about setup would replace. A few broken ring and pinions, which considering how many dana 35s have been put into jeeps over the years, ( i would guess in the hundreds of thousends) and the large percentage of these jeeps that are used off road would make me expect a much larger percentage of broken gears.

I really don't understand why a group of people will resort to insults, and sarcasm when a simple question is asked of them. I know most of the people who have responded didn't read all, or even most of the previous posts. Be it laziness or actual lack of knowledge on the topic, that still doesn't excuse the lack of intelligence in the replies.

Again, when asked about a specific question, how can a reply that has absolutely nothing to do with said question deserve to be posted and considered a response?

I have decided that I will forgo my idea of building a budget, high ground clearance axle and install a 14 bolt out of a dually truck that was offered as a suggestion. I can't imagine that would look silly on a tj with 34s....

Last edited:
Just need srw Hubs and good to go! Your taking this shit to serious brah... this is suppose to be fun while learning as you go, you asked about the strength of a d35 and you got a answer that wasn't what you wanted to hear from what I can tell or your young and just get your feelings hurt easily?? I had planned on a 14b under a Zj I've seen them under a few tj and ya know it looks pretty badass in my OPINION, but ya know what they say about that! Good luck with your dana35 tho...

D20F1504-5D46-4627-AC42-7FA8B8326DC0-3155-000004FFF831DFE0.jpeg

Just need srw Hubs and good to go! Your taking this shit to serious brah... this is suppose to be fun while learning as you go, you asked about the strength of a d35 and you got a answer that wasn't what you wanted to hear from what I can tell or your young and just get your feelings hurt easily?? I had planned on a 14b under a Zj I've seen them under a few tj and ya know it looks pretty badass in my OPINION, but ya know what they say about that! Good luck with your dana35 tho...

Awesome! I can get some new hubs and it should be good to go!

I am young, and have very little experience with cars and trucks in general. I would be embarrassed to admit how many trucks I have driven off road.

Actually, I never asked about the overall strength of a dana 35, if you had taken the time to read and comprehend the original question I asked you would understand. And if you were able to read, again, I have stated that I don't want to hear anything but actual experience with what I asked about, which you obviously don't have.

And I will stoop to a level that I have criticized on this very thread, but having an axle that is wide enough that it pushes the inside of the tire tread out side of the fender flare looks like shit. I can't imagine anyone on this forum with any real world wheeling knowledge would say differently.

I just hope you aren't as young as me and have feeling that are hurt as easily as mine.

Oh, the other thing I would like to add, not meaning to derail the thread, but not being tech savvy as people say, can someone define what a troll is? Having been addressed as one several times, I am embarrassed to admit , i have no idea what this is.
Also I have been advised to listen to the veterans, which I am sure is good advice. What would make someone call another a veteran? Is it years 4wheeling, trucks owned, trucks built, or the such?

Sorry for the stupid question, but I guess not knowing is worse than asking?

again, I have stated that I don't want to hear anything but actual experience with what I asked about, which you obviously don't have.
Hey snowflake.
You don't get to tell people what advice to give you. You don't set the rules. This is a community.

BTW your registration profile says you are 38.
So either you lied when you signed up, or you ain't young , just dumb.

BTW who is Sarah4732?

@rockcity

lmao. then shared with with the wife lol'd more. like every 10th post man. frikin awesome

@junkxj 1. dont be a vagina. 2. dana 35s suck.

seriouslly: i fought with every fiber of my being avoiding swapping axles. i researched hour after hour after hour - "dana 35 on 35s". To be honest, I found ALOT of people who had 35s on a stock dana35 and many who did chromo, locker and cryo; who did LIGHT wheeling (like a dirt round with some dips and whoops). They crawled this stuff, and then drove normal on the street. 4cyl, 6cyl, 8cyl.... almost every single one eventually broke. A few were still wheeling and saving going on 3+ years. There was wisdom in this: some of the ones doing stock, did so with a backup dana35 ($100) sitting at home. They did what they did and they saved up for a 8.8 or d44, or grandma's cane (something that was stronger than a dana 35). One guy... his dana 35 blew up the day he bought the last part he needed for an 8.8 swap (d35, chromo, locker). He went to take off from a light "boom!".

Anyways

If you want to be a good steward of your money. You need to do what you wanted to do, but also bombshell the tubes (sleeve them) and weld tubes and sleeves to housing. You also need to truss the tubes with the housing. Cryo the gears. Then it will be all good to go to handle 35s on up trails and street. This WILL be more expensive than switching to a 8.8 or d44. < FACTS. So if you are so concerned about cost but can not understand what is being told to you, go read an investment book

Listen. If youre too poor, then sometimes you just gotta sack up and do shit in stages. Swap in the axle. (lose 4wd). Drive it and do ride alongs until you got money saved for gears. Do the gears. Now enjoy better driving and ride alongs and save the money to do the front gears. Done. Do it right or don't do it at all. ITs not always just about money, but life. Our choices reflect our character. You can spend a week pissing in your radiator, or you can just go buy some frikin antifreeze.

Question for you. Why buy a "bolt in" 8.8? Super costly and you still have to do the "most complicated" part yourself and weld the perches/coil plates in after setting your pinion angle.

Last edited:
I would never even think about setting foot on daniel.

Then why the fuck are we even having this conversation? If it's dry, you can run Daniel in a stock-ass 4cyl TJ on highway terrains with two baby seats in the back.

For a guy that complains that 1) No one has answered his question with first-hand information and 2) that everyone is terrible at reading comprehension, his reading comprehension stinks.

Got tired of reading all the same crap so someone may have already said this but if you go ahead and slap a d44 under there you don't need to spend money on shafts and locker. If this thing doesn't see a lot of highway miles then a full spool witch is only couple hundred bucks and possibly gears witch is less than 200 bucks and it would be bulletproof for your situation. That's what I put in mine 35x16.5"wide boggers and beat the shit out of it for 10 years now and never had a problem. On highway with a spool not really a problem. You don't need to change axle shafts.and by the way Daniel ain't shit. Can do all but the first ledge in 2 wheel drive, can't get up the ledge without 4wd.have never tried staying to the far right the way folks go if they can't make the little hop up the center.

Last edited:
Hey snowflake.
You don't get to tell people what advice to give you. You don't set the rules. This is a community.

BTW your registration profile says you are 38.
So either you lied when you signed up, or you ain't young , just dumb.

BTW who is Sarah4732?

I swear it's got to be @shawn trolling everyone. Someone do an IP check! :lol:

This is interesting...

"i will never ride danel"

Thank you very much for the advice. We plan on riding Daniel and dickey bell for sure. We do wish we could meet up with someone who knows the trails, but guess we will get by ok with a map and gps. I will definitely take your advice and try falls damn for a camp spot. Any one else have any input/advice for uwharrie? Thanks again for the input!

@rockcity

lmao. then shared with with the wife lol'd more. like every 10th post man. frikin awesome

@junkxj 1. dont be a vagina. 2. dana 35s suck.

seriouslly: i fought with every fiber of my being avoiding swapping axles. i researched hour after hour after hour - "dana 35 on 35s". To be honest, I found ALOT of people who had 35s on a stock dana35 and many who did chromo, locker and cryo; who did LIGHT wheeling (like a dirt round with some dips and whoops). They crawled this stuff, and then drove normal on the street. 4cyl, 6cyl, 8cyl.... almost every single one eventually broke. A few were still wheeling and saving going on 3+ years. There was wisdom in this: some of the ones doing stock, did so with a backup dana35 ($100) sitting at home. They did what they did and they saved up for a 8.8 or d44, or grandma's cane (something that was stronger than a dana 35). One guy... his dana 35 blew up the day he bought the last part he needed for an 8.8 swap (d35, chromo, locker). He went to take off from a light "boom!".

Anyways

If you want to be a good steward of your money. You need to do what you wanted to do, but also bombshell the tubes (sleeve them) and weld tubes and sleeves to housing. You also need to truss the tubes with the housing. Cryo the gears. Then it will be all good to go to handle 35s on up trails and street. This WILL be more expensive than switching to a 8.8 or d44. < FACTS. So if you are so concerned about cost but can not understand what is being told to you, go read an investment book

Listen. If youre too poor, then sometimes you just gotta sack up and do shit in stages. Swap in the axle. (lose 4wd). Drive it and do ride alongs until you got money saved for gears. Do the gears. Now enjoy better driving and ride alongs and save the money to do the front gears. Done. Do it right or don't do it at all. ITs not always just about money, but life. Our choices reflect our character. You can spend a week pissing in your radiator, or you can just go buy some frikin antifreeze.

Question for you. Why buy a "bolt in" 8.8? Super costly and you still have to do the "most complicated" part yourself and weld the perches/coil plates in after setting your pinion angle.

Thank you for the information. For the most part everything you said was spot on. The fact of the mater is, I can buy any axle I would like to put under my jeep. If I thought a dynamic track 60 was necessary I would call them today and order one.
Buying a bolt in ready 8.8 is not expensive. I bought mine for less than the cost of the axle and bracket kit. The bolt in ready part I thought would be understood to have the brackets already welded I'm place, hence it's bolt in ready. The real cost are the gears, full case locker, decent diff cover and new driveshaft that was needed to finish the install.

Again, thank you for the info.

Thank you for the information. For the most part everything you said was spot on. The fact of the mater is, I can buy any axle I would like to put under my jeep. If I thought a dynamic track 60 was necessary I would call them today and order one.
Buying a bolt in ready 8.8 is not expensive. I bought mine for less than the cost of the axle and bracket kit. The bolt in ready part I thought would be understood to have the brackets already welded I'm place, hence it's bolt in ready. The real cost are the gears, full case locker, decent diff cover and new driveshaft that was needed to finish the install.

Again, thank you for the info.
Except you already stated your going to do a full carrier and a regear either way so neglect that cost because it is basically the same cost as a 35. True talk look it up maybe a 100 difference. You don't "NEED" a diff cover you want one but the best is still only around 100 bucks but also the same price for a 35 cover. You don't need a new drive shaft you need a 20 bucks flange adapter, or you can be a baller and buy a new yoke for 120 but both still use a stock shaft. The only cost difference is the axle itself and an adapter. I've seen bolt in ready to go alxes on here for 400. A set of 35 aftermarket shafts are 350-400. Your also getting disk brakes with an 8.8

"26. Dana 35
It has a very weak and flexible housing that causes C-clip axle and differential problems. Unfortunately, it has unbelievable aftermarket support despite its weakness. However, consider any upgrades to this axle a Band-Aid for the real problem. If you're running it hard (especially with a locker) and it hasn't spit out its insides and it's not bleeding gear oil out of the pressed-in tubes and plug welds, it soon will be."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back