The Money Pit- Lockedup5's YJ on Tons-- Updated Phase Two 2016-- 6.0 swap!!!

guess I will b able to hear it when I come back thru next week???????
Maybe so. David has been working on a few other things too.

Air compressor is mounted! Was tough finding a good place for it. This was the best we could come up with.

0160325_135434.jpg

He also got the rear seatbelt bar/cross bar welded in and painted. This will help me feel safer for the kids riding back there. Will be glad they are in harnesses.
0160325_124354.jpg

dang, I think u r getting lazy. lol.
but good, save your energy so u can help me start putting 1 of mine together.

Exhaust is done! Loving the sound of it already! I thinks it's definitely different from everyone else's and that makes me happy.

Start of passenger side.

IMG_20160406_133411080.jpg

Drivers side. It Ys into the three inch before the connector flange on top. Just hard to see.

IMG_20160406_172438717.jpg

If you're wondering what the hoop is it is the soon to be finished oil pan skid.

IMG_20160406_172448566.jpg

IMG_20160406_152456777.jpg

David is in the home stretch on this thing. He is finishing up about the last 2%. He is finishing with the same quality work he started with. Sometimes that's hard to do on a big project. I am extremely happy with everything he has done to this thing.
I'm hoping to have it back home this weekend for a few more upgrades of my own.

The oil pan skid turned out awesome!

esized952016041395210028.jpg
esized952016041395205931.jpg
esized952016041395205859.jpg

We figured since I'll have a little more power we might should stiffen the frame a little for some insurance. YJ frames have crush points just in front of the tub.
Hopefully a 1/4" plate on each side will help prevent the "crush"
esized_20160414_205205.jpg

The "Pit" made it home today! A little more computer work and she will be right engine wise!
I also have to mount the rear seat, seatbelts, and wire up the front led light.
Oh yeah I also have to change out my lower links. Im going w 7075 2-1/4" aluminum and 1-1/4" heims.
She is smooth as a baby's ass.
IMG_20160416_170229779_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160416_212244340.jpg

Well I think I will feel a little better wheeling with the kids now. Got the new Corbeau suspension bench seat installed and Corbeau easy release four point harnesses installed for the kids. This combined with cage padding and them wearing helmets full time should make them as safe as I possibly can short of sitting them out. They're getting old enough now they want to hit all the hard stuff with me. I'll still set them out on the real crazy stuff but maybe they won't have to walk as much now.
IMG_20160420_224423282.jpg

The harnesses were so long. Instead of cutting and sewing I opted to just wrap them around the bar and the ends are bolted.
IMG_20160420_243927245.jpg

i haven't been on since my last post. looks good man. will try to stop by on my way back home next week and check it out in person

I sent my computer back to Jim's performance Friday because a few things wasn't right. It was running lean on bank one and two, lazy throttle response, and it was limited to around 4k rpms. Jim says he can fix it. We will see. Hopefully he sent it back out today.

In the mean time I've had to install a new PS reservoir due to a small hairline crack that leaked just enough to piss me off. Between all the moving around and taking in and out of vehicles I'm surprised that's the only problem I've had.

I also installed a new lower steering column bearing that has been bad forever. No banging and clanging anymore!

Old reservoir
IMG_20160425_221044311.jpg

It being a hydroboost pump I only needed one return so I had to tap the bottom return and installed a set screw.
IMG_20160425_142506743.jpg

Well I have no progress to report on this thing other than I have two different guys trying to figure out this computer problem. Got it back from Jim and there was no change.
I sure hope they can figure it out. Other wise I have no clue what to do other than to swap it over to be cable driven.
This project has went so smooth up until now. Guess I can't complain to bad other than its wheeling season.

Is the throttle control box of whatever it's called the same year model as the throttle and computer? Double check to make sure it is. had similar problems on a truck my buddy built and tool forever to find out the junk yard just grabbed one and it messed up the computer till he got the same year one

Tick motorsports in Mount Airy. Wayne Hartwig, team 208 motorsports, on pirate.

Matt
Right now I just can't afford to pay a third person $$$$ to do this but I may eventually have to. I'm hoping the two I've already paid will get on the ball and get it done.
Which one would you trust the most?

Last edited:
Is the throttle control box of whatever it's called the same year model as the throttle and computer? Double check to make sure it is. had similar problems on a truck my buddy built and tool forever to find out the junk yard just grabbed one and it messed up the computer till he got the same year one
Never thought about that. Will double check. Thanks. This one has the control built in the pedal.

TAC module, IIRC. I greatly prefer a cable drive over a DBW for reasons such as these. There's also no chance of having your gas pedal stop working on you!

However, it should be an easy fix.

Yes the TAC module, pedal and Ecm all have to be out of the same year/ be compatible. There are a number of different tac modules and a couple different pedals. If you have a chance, post up a pic of the pedal and connector, tac module and connector and what year the ECM is from. Run in to this problem all the time on the fly by wires. I may have a couple extra modules and or pedals lying around. I had a good link bookmarked on my old computer that showed a couple of the different modules and pedals and made identification with part numbers pretty simple. I will see if I can dig it up. 04 different from 05/06 are different than 07+ etc

Well I was right it will never be done!!

It's getting cold weather now so I've got a few upgrades I'm going to do this winter along with @3dcrawlers help. I can't believe I'm keeping on schedule with what I had planned 2-3 years ago.
After wheeling this jeep for two years and having awesome service out of it and the AMC360/T-18 combo I'm happy and sad to say it is time to retire the ole AMC and four speed.

Out with the old and in with the new!

Upgrades planned for the winter:

-2011 L96 gen IV 6.0 w/ 88k miles from 3500 silverado (already bought for my b-day)
-Jim's Performance tune and harness
-2161 RCI fuel cell (already bought)
-Artec fuel cell hold down brackets (bought)
-TH-350 w/ 700r4 gears w/ cooler and fan
-PTC 2200-2500 stall
-350/atlas adapter
-4.3 gears to replace my 3.8 gears in my atlas. Will also need 27 spline input for atlas.
-double bypass aluminum Novak radiator
-PSC pump
-atleast new front driveshaft
-frame stiffening/cage/tube work
-new Corbeau rear suspension seat for the kids(already bought)
-Corbeau four point harnesses for the kids (already bought)
-LED lights (bought)
-possible axle gears if needed and if I do them I will also do SOLID knuckles, RCV axles to replace my chromolies, and also an ARB in my 14 bolt to replace the detroiI

I'm sure I'm forgetting some things and I'm sure I'll be adding more things too. I'm hoping to be ready to break it in by warm weather.

I also bought a new tow pig w/ sleeping quarters yesterday I'm hoping to have finished by spring also. I may start a build thread on it shortly.
View attachment 203419
View attachment 203420

I am assuming that the pedal, the wiring harness and the ecm are all from the same truck? Its easy to piece stuff together, but sometimes they dont work pieced together

I had this happen on the TJ build years ago, the ecm that came with the swap, that I installed ended up not matching the tac module, some ecm's are setup with IAC drivers and some arent, took a little while to get it all straight, but Jim and I figured it out

All I am saying is dont go blaming the wrong people :flipoff2:

I have never had an issue with Jim's, 6 harness's and tunes so far

Last edited:
I am assuming that the pedal, the wiring harness and the ecm are all from the same truck? Its easy to piece stuff together, but sometimes they dont work pieced together

I had this happen on the TJ build years ago, the ecm that came with the swap, that I installed ended up not matching the tac module, some ecm's are setup with IAC drivers and some arent, took a little while to get it all straight, but Jim and I figured it out

All I am saying is dont go blaming the wrong people :flipoff2:

I have never had an issue with Jim's, 6 harness's and tunes so far

As far as I know everything came out of the same truck. It was all bundled together on a pallet when I bought it. Seen no reason for them to piece them together. But you know what happens when you assume.

This is a new beast to some of the programmers. It's a 2011 model L96. Most haven't done the newer stuff. It has an E78 ecm.

Ive not blamed anyone really. He said he could do it. I trusted he could do it. He's had two chances so far and still working on it the last I talked to him. The harness was nice.
He did say if he couldn't fix it he'd give my money back and I didn't even ask.

I'm not sure what the TAC module really does but if it's what I'm thinking it is built into the pedal on this swap.

Yes the TAC module, pedal and Ecm all have to be out of the same year/ be compatible. There are a number of different tac modules and a couple different pedals. If you have a chance, post up a pic of the pedal and connector, tac module and connector and what year the ECM is from. Run in to this problem all the time on the fly by wires. I may have a couple extra modules and or pedals lying around. I had a good link bookmarked on my old computer that showed a couple of the different modules and pedals and made identification with part numbers pretty simple. I will see if I can dig it up. 04 different from 05/06 are different than 07+ etc

This what you need?
2011 L96 6.0 E78 ECM
Let me know what you come up with. Anything will be appreciated.

According to both tune guys that's looked at it they agree it's something in the program. They both are saying they just have to dig a little deeper and study it since they aren't very familiar with this new of one.

IMG_20160506_195155688.jpg
IMG_20160506_195353681.jpg
IMG_20160506_195505117.jpg
IMG_20160506_195712535.jpg

Back