The Money Pit- Lockedup5's YJ on Tons-- Updated Phase Two 2016-- 6.0 swap!!!

Did someone say they wanted more pics?

I did try to get my links paralell as possible. The body restricts the seperation mostly.

DSC01348.JPG

DSC01349.JPG

DSC01350.JPG

DSC01352.JPG

Couldn't get the panhard anymore flat. Damn truss was in the way again. Wish I'd never tacked it on there. I don't understand why I fought myself so hard to keep it on there.
DSC01356.JPG

Finally after getting the suspension done I moved on to a little project I really didn't want to tackle myself so I out sourced it.

DRIVE SHAFTS

Simply I just didn't have the time to do them, wanted them to be right, didn't want to piece junk together, and couldn't save any money buying new stuff and doing it myself. So I called the man!!

DAVE at Oliver's Driveshaft hooked me up. I simply took my measurements at ride height and passed them along to Dave and bam in just a couple days they were ready.
My next delima was the shipping. I was wanting to save some money there so I was going to turn to the great people of NC4x4 and hopefully get them delivered. But the ECORS race was that weekend and I asked Dave if he thought I could get Snappy to pick them up and bring them to the race. He said hang on a minute and I'll ask him. :confused: Just so happens Snappy was standing right beside him at the time. :D Snappy was more than happy to help me out. I got them alot faster than if Dave had shipped them UPS and for just a few bucks in gas.

Thanks alot Dave and Snappy

D-shaft Specs:

.250 wall tube w/ 1350 joints all around

DSC01387.JPG

I was very pleased with them when I got them. They were painted and balanced. PERFECT.
I've not installed them yet but I'm sure they are right. If not I'm sure Dave will take care of me.

Don't know if I've posted any pics how I tied my cage into the frame so I'll throw some in here.
I like how my front mounts turned out. I wanted everything to bolt in so if I ever need to take my cage out I can.

DSC01352.JPG

DSC01354.JPG

I will probably be doing a frame mount on the center hoop at some point also.

Thanks to AMCJeepman (James Belcher) He hooked me up the the correct driver side exhaust manifold I needed. When I recieved it he had sand blasted it, painted it, and tapped out the stud holes for me. It was like new.
Thanks James!

DSC01391.JPG

Now I think I can keep the exhaust tucked up high enough to get it ran over the slave cylinder and the upper front link.

I am having a pretty big problem w/ my slave cylinder. At full bump my top link is right beside where the hydraulic line goes into it. There is only a fingers width between them. If you have a solution to this please post up. I've yet to figure something out for definite at this point.

DSC01390.JPG

My next mission after sitting it down to full bump was to hear my engine run again! It didn't take me long maybe an hour or so to figure out the wireing and getting it all hooked up. After all I was just going from a 258 to a 360. :rolleyes:
It took about five seconds to get the propane through the system and she fired right up. I was like :eek: then :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: Hell yeah!! FIRST try Baby.
And my engine purred like a kitten after sitting 18 months.

I just love the smell of burnt Propane in the evening.

I thought while I was in the wiring mood I'd clean up the wiring harness just a tad bit. :kaioken:

This was not a fun task. I removed every wire I thought wasn't necessary just to simplify it if I ever had to trouble shoot anything on the trail. I also removed a couple that were necessary. :handed: but they were easily fixed.

I removed everything OBD crap, vaccum crap, emission crap, and lots and lots of wires running to crap I'd never heard of. It's amazing at the crap they were putting on engines even back in 1988 that were not essential for an engine to run.

If you happen to see a wire that I cut and you think I need it please post up. lol :D

Can you say Bird nest?

DSC01367.JPG

DSC01368.JPG

At this point I was a little worried. I'm thinking Holy Shit what did I just do? But it helps to crank it and check everything after cutting a few wires at a time.

DSC01377.JPG

This is the way the wiring harness sits today. Bare minimum and it still runs!!! Just need to clean it up a little and throw some loom on it.

DSC01379.JPG

The only thing that doesn't work at the moment that I know of is the windshield wipers. I don't have a clue what would affect the wipers out there in that harness. I'm almost thinking they didn't work before I just can't remember.
They will be an easy enough fix I think.

Last edited:
In amongst all the work I managed to install my spreader bar between my front strut hoops and got it welded in. I also made it removeable w/ the help of some Barnes brackets for when I do the 6.0 swap!!!!
I was going to bend my tubing and make it look all fancy pants but I thought why not just be different and do a straight bar across. I think it worked out great. It's close to my steering pump and electric fans but should be fine. What yall think?

DSC01372.JPG

DSC01376.JPG

Hell I've lost so much sleep working so many hours then trying to work on this thing late into the night that I've forgot what order I've done things.
Adding to this thread tonight has made me realize I've done a ton of work on this thing the past couple months and I'm not done w/ my update.

After hearing that engine run for the first time in 18 months it got me all kinds of excited and it motivated me even more to keep chugging along. So in there somewhere I started working on the steering. I've done lots of studying on this too. Kinda hoping to do full hydro fairly cheap. I just hope it doesn't come back to kick me in the ass.

I'm using my original stock pump that I used w/ my hydro assist in the other jeep that I had done the Texas Offroad Mod to hoping it will suffice. A new Trail gear 7.9 cu. in. orbital I got off a fellow board member. It should yield me about 3.5 rounds of steering lock to lock w/ the ram I chose. I opted to not cheap out on my steering ram so I went w/ a PSC 2.5''x8'' ram w/ a 1.125 shaft. I'm thinking it may be a little slower than I like but hopefully I won't burn pumps up going w/ the larger 2.5'' bore ram. More volume =less pressure the pump has to build plus it should run cooler.

I built my own orbital mount and got the column from PSC also.

DSC01374.JPG

It was fun mounting the ram. Was hoping to push off the truss but just couldnt make it work. So I ended up making it push off the trac bar mount tower. I know there is alot of pressure on it anyhow so I am building a truss out of .250'' to run from my main truss across my upper link mount over to the trac bar tower. I believe it will make everything alot more stout. I will post pics of it when I get it done.

DSC01383.JPG

DSC01385.JPG

I did have to do some grinding on my diff cover and housing at the top for clearance but any way you turn the wheels or the heims on the tie rod it will not bind at all. everything is free to move how ever it wants.

DSC01384.JPG

I had to shorten my steering shaft but everything has worked out great so far.

DSC01376.JPG

I've got a cooler I'm planning on running but I'm still in need of a resevoir if anybody has one for sale.

Last edited:
I've also ran new brake lines, new brake and clutch master cylinder and a few other things I can't think of right now at 3:45am.

I have removed all the body armor and fenders and spent some time cleaning it all up and making it look good. And it is now at the Powder coaters as I type. I'm hoping to have it back by the end of the week. I'm excited to see how it turns out and I may get them to powder coat my cage too.

My big thing now is my main swith plate I was planning on ordering from 12volt Guy but he will not answer the phone and his web site says it may take two months for him to build it. Surely he's not out of business? Anybody know?

Well now everyone knows what I've been doing the last few months. I've worked my a** off on this thing. I'm just happy the end is in sight and I will be back to wheeling soon.
I know this update has been a long one but I would hope some of yall will read through it and pay attention to some detail in the pics and give me some good feed back. I can take it give me the good, bad, and the ugly.

Thanks

What do you think / what do you think / what do you think ? I'm thinking, I'm not letting you under my Dash! That's what the wiring in my Dash, looks like!:redface:
Seriously, Man! You've done a Ton of work! [ on a 3 ton rig!]:)

What do you think / what do you think / what do you think ? I'm thinking, I'm not letting you under my Dash! That's what the wiring in my Dash, looks like!:redface:
Seriously, Man! You've done a Ton of work! [ on a 3 ton rig!]:)
well the wiring is looking a lot better and a ton more simple. An engine only "needs" a few wires to run. I'm going to do under the dash the same way. My other jeep looked like a birds nest under there and I always hated it. I'm hoping to just cut it down to the bare necessities.

Haven't got to work on the Jeep much this week but did get a few things done.

Stopped by the powder coaters this afternoon and picked up all my body armor, fenders and my front diff cover.

I went w/ a color called Silver vein hammertone. It will be hard to do any touch ups on but I had to do something to break up all the black.
I was really pleased how everything turned out. Also I couldn't hardly paint it for what they charged me to powder it.

DSC01398.JPG

DSC01401.JPG

DSC01399.JPG

DSC01400.JPG

I also trussed everything together on the front axle. I have been a little worried about mounting my steering cylinder on the track bar tower but I feel a lot better the way I've done it. It tied in the main truss to the top control arm tower and over to the trac bar tower. I think it will strengthen it all alot.

DSC01406.JPG

DSC01408.JPG

Good thing you had someone to tell ya to powder coat it that color! Haha the Jeep is top notch and looks great.
yep my wife liked it alot :flipoff2: :flipoff2:
FYI rustoleum hammered isn't too bad on that powder coat. I had something very similar on my old quads I raced and I would touch them up with it during the season
I'm sure I'll have to find something to match it till the shiney new wears off of it then probably some flat black just to keep it from rusting.
AH, just spray the wrong paint on the wrong primer,& it will look like that:lol:
Really, It looks very Sharp!
Thanks Rodney. I'm getting more excited by the day.
I guess I will see you tomorrow. I'm pulling Rodney's (Rodcycle)^ new buggy down to URE tomorrow to give it it's maiden voyage under new ownership.

Just read through your whole thread and would just like to say awesome build man. I love seeing people with knowledge and the willingness to learn put it all together into something awesome. Built rigs are always better than bought rigs in my personal opinion. Great job and keep up the good work

Kenneth, I am having visions of a pattern here.... it appears you will be finishing your new rig on about the same time frame as I did. That said, you can get a pretty decent price out of it right after the first of the year, and boat prices are down to almost a bargain. I imagine you will buy a bigger one than I did though. :lol:

All BS aside my friend... that's pretty work! :beer:

Back