The Money Pit- Lockedup5's YJ on Tons-- Updated Phase Two 2016-- 6.0 swap!!!

Well I went stupid about eight weeks ago. I don't know what the hell I was thinking. I guess I figured I might as well do it right the first time. The only major thing I'd change now is the motor. It will have a 6.0 in it in the future but you never know it might have one in it before it leaves the garage the way I've been changing my mind.

I should have some more :bling: coming in anytime now. I'm hoping the first of the week. It should be the last big piece of the puzzle. Soon as it comes in I'll post it up.

Well I went stupid about eight weeks ago. I don't know what the hell I was thinking. I guess I figured I might as well do it right the first time. The only major thing I'd change now is the motor. It will have a 6.0 in it in the future but you never know it might have one in it before it leaves the garage the way I've been changing my mind.

I should have some more :bling: coming in anytime now. I'm hoping the first of the week. It should be the last big piece of the puzzle. Soon as it comes in I'll post it up.
Don't overlook a 5.3, for the money or power, a stock 5.3 with a Jim's performance hot tune, will spin those 43's very nicely, ask me how I know :)

Very awesome build! Nice attention to detail on the tranny rebuild. Love the duotone color scheme.

........................I know what it is!!! :bounce2::bounce:

Shhh
Don't overlook a 5.3, for the money or power, a stock 5.3 with a Jim's performance hot tune, will spin those 43's very nicely, ask me how I know :)

Ive not really done my homework on engines yet. I afraid of what will happen if I do

Are you gonna build that thing or talk about it the rest of your life? :D :gitrdun:

I hate to say it but I'm back to talking about it for a while till we can get my brother in law on his way to recocery

Very awesome build! Nice attention to detail on the tranny rebuild. Love the duotone color scheme.

Thanks. I'm hoping to have that much detail all over it.

Well I got the last big (expensive) piece to the puzzle today and I'm excited even though I can't do anything with it at the moment. But as soon as I can it will be in the Jeep.

Specs.:
Atlas 2-speed
3.8-1
23 spline input
32 spline outputs front and rear
1350 yokes

DSC00862.JPG

DSC00859.JPG

Even came w/ a box full of goodies complete w/ shifters and Amsoil synthetic oil.

DSC00860.JPG

I remember you talking to me when you first decided to build this. I am thinking you said your budget was $5,000.00 ???

:rockon:

J ust
E mpty
E every
P ocket

You know what is even worse..... I have a Boat and a Jeep...No wonder they are both setting at home not getting used :shaking: I am in a no win situation and I created it all by myself, what the hell was I thinking :confused: I need another beer.

Yep I blew my budget all to hell and I may be broke as crap but the way I look at it I won't be looking back and saying I wish I'd done this or that. I'm just hoping I'm building something that I won't have to spend a bunch of money on every time I wheel it. I know it won't be bullet proof but I shouldn't have to worry to much other than something like a u-joint or drive shaft problem I hope.

I just know I'm tired of seeing all this :bling: sitting around and not being used.

with all the other plan changes, i would b n on a bet that it gets a 6.0 before it rolls out of the garage

I just know I'm tired of seeing all this :bling: sitting around and not being used.

Kenneth, If it helps any..... I'm getting real tired of seeing my
boat.png
sitting in the carport 'cause winter just won't go away, the lakes are still muddy and full of trash, and I would sure like to go fishin'. :shaking:

Steve, I just can't come up with the right words for your situation! :lol:

Well we've got my BIL home and on his way to recovery so I've tried to get a few things done.

I managed to pull the oil pan and replace the rear main seal cause I had a little leak. While I had it apart I took a little time and painted my engine a little and the oil pan.

I had my pressure plate rebuilt w/ heavier springs, new ceramic clutch disk, flywheel resurfaced, new pilot bushing, and new throw out bearing. I managed to get it all installed.

DSC00884.JPG

While I was at it I went ahead and mounted the transmission up and mocked up the Atlas. I ended up pulling the tranny back off cause I forgot a step. It would've been hard to put it in gear w/o a throwout bearing. lol

DSC00890.JPG

Also got my new slave cylinder on since I'm going hydraulic on the clutch. I'm going to try the cheap way to do this. I got a slave cylinder for a 81 CJ Iron Duke and it bolted right up. I just hope I didn't have my pressure plate built to strong for the hydraulics. Will probably be an issue I will have to revisit later but I hope not.
I reinstalled the starter and am ready to put the engine in.

After the engine goes in I'll have to figure the angle I want my Atlas to ride. I'm wanting it turned up as far as possible but I won't know till it goes in.

Last edited:
Hey man today I was pulling with my truck and the clutch linkage fell out for the 100th time, I just read that you are going to hydraulic clutch, what ideas or advice can you give since that is the way your going, and what did you mean about the slave. Cylind not being strong enough for the clutch? I think it would be fine? What clutch are you using as well?

Hey man today I was pulling with my truck and the clutch linkage fell out for the 100th time, I just read that you are going to hydraulic clutch, what ideas or advice can you give since that is the way your going, and what did you mean about the slave. Cylind not being strong enough for the clutch? I think it would be fine? What clutch are you using as well?
Sorry haven't even looked at this thread is a long while. I've been trying to work on the Jeep!
If your still wondering I had the pressure plate built about 30 percent stronger than what was in it just to be sure it would not slip. On top of that I went with a ceramic disc. I'm just hoping I didn't go to agressive.

I guess it's time to update this thread a little. I've got quite a bit done over the past couple months and I think I'm on the down hill side of my build. I hope any how. Wish I could keep this thread up a little more often. It would make it alot easier.

I did manage to get the engine/tranny/t-case installed which was fairly simple except having to cut some of the floor out for the Atlas. I didn't want to cut a whole lot so the case isn't sitting exactly flat but it's only sitting about two inches below the frame so I wasn't to worried.
I also built my own seperate crossmember for the tranny so I could drop my skids out w/o dropping the tranny down.

DSC01344.JPG
DSC01330.JPG

Then I started with my suspension. I've had to learn a lot the past few months about four/three link systems. I did alot of internet searching/reading and got lots of advice from many knowledgeable and experienced guys I know. I've also studied the link calculations and looked at many, many setups up close.
In the end I came to a couple conclusions. No one sets up a link system the same and everybody is right in the way they set up a link system. :rolleyes:
So I ended up doing it my right way. I took all the advice I've had over the past few months and kinda combined all the common points and applied it to my set up.
But in the very end you realize that you have only so much space to work with on a stock frame and you kinda have to put link brackets in there just the best you can.
I hope what I have done will work great but time will only tell.

I am basically just going to lay out a bunch of pictures here of my suspension setup w/ very little description so if you have any questions on how or why I did something don't hesitate to ask.

If you see something that you think I've done wrong please lay it out there. Now is the time for me to know before I weld everything up solid.

Ride height

DSC01324.JPG

Full Bump

DSC01359.JPG

For some reason I love this picture

DSC01098.JPG

DSC01080.JPG

DSC01081.JPG

More pics just cause I know everyone loves looking at pics.

DSC01092.JPG

DSC01096.JPG

DSC01326.JPG

DSC01328.JPG

I will be cleaning the frame notch up good and reenforcing it w/ 6'' channel. I will probably be tubing the rear of the frame past the cage tie in.

DSC01331.JPG

Please let me know what you think. Good or bad. Now is the time to change something if it needs to be changed.

Since the jeep had a 1.5 in. body lift on it when I got it I took advantage of it and got some pretty good seperation at my frame link mounts. My upper mounts I welded to 1/2'' plate to get it up above the frame quite a ways plus I think it will be plenty stout.

DSC01332.JPG

All my link brackets are from Barnes 4wd. I thought the link/strut combo mount worked out nice. Had to do a few adjustments w/ my grinder and a BFH. But all in all they worked out pretty good.

DSC01334.JPG

DSC01335.JPG

DSC01336.JPG

The front strut hoops were fun! I did have to re do them one time. At first I had them too tall and my panhard bar was hitting my truss at full bump so I had to shorten them some so it would hit bump sooner. This raised the ride height maybe 1.5-2 inches but thats one of those things. I had to do what I had to do. Knowing now what I didn't know then I'd just have removed the truss and been fine. I was planning on pushing off the truss w/ my steering cylinder. Stay tuned to find out how I mounted it.

DSC01338.JPG

I was trying to keep my strut out of the interior if possible. I succeeded at that but the mount had to go through the fender well no matter how much I didn't like it. If your thinkingh those rear strut mounts need to be reenforced... we think alike. I'm going to do an angle brace in the side of the cage and tie a small piece of tube into the top of the mounts.

DSC01339.JPG

Back