Time to build a shop of my own

Commercial/industrial flatwork in bulk has been about $350/CY

Key word there.
I've got a project in Wilmington, which geographically I would think is similar to Hendersonville as far as readily available subs and materials, that's got roughly 375cuyds of structural concrete going for roughly $600/cuyd.

Last edited:
Still, residential flat work is real simple. One large slab that grading is already done shouldn’t cost $1,000 per CY.

that’s 4 guys a few days to form a rectangle, lay down a few rolls of vapor barrier, locate CIP column anchors (or post install if they don’t want to), 35 CY at $150/CY, pour, finish...

That’s $5200 in concrete, plus another $500 for forms and $250 for vapor barrier. So, $6,000 in materials. There is no way there is $26,000 in labor. At $75/hr, that’s nearly 350 man hours. No way it takes 8 people a week to do that slab and I’m assuming $75/hr is HIGH, even for Asheville.

even with a pump truck, this estimate is high. If you use fiber, the truck can drive right through the form and eliminate a pump truck, then slap the last end form up as you get close to the edge, then no need for a pump truck.

this is probably a 2 day job. 4 carpenters take care of forming and 4 finishers on top of carpenters come in and pour and finish in 1 day. Then send 2 of their laborers to strip forms and clean up, maybe. If they pour early in the day with 1% calcium, they can probably strip that afternoon and be done.

Last edited:
Still, residential flat work is real simple. One large slab that grading is already done shouldn’t cost $1,000 per CY.

that’s 4 guys a few days to form a rectangle, lay down a few rolls of vapor barrier, locate CIP column anchors (or post install if they don’t want to), 35 CY at $150/CY, pour, finish...

That’s $5200 in concrete, plus another $500 for forms and $250 for vapor barrier. So, $6,000 in materials. There is no way there is $26,000 in labor. At $75/hr, that’s nearly 350 man hours. No way it takes 8 people a week to do that slab and I’m assuming $75/hr is HIGH, even for Asheville.

this is probably a 2 day job. 4 carpenters take care of forming and 4 finishers on top of carpenters come in and pour and finish in 1 day. Then send 2 of their laborers to strip forms and clean up, maybe. If they pour early in the day with 1% calcium, they can probably strip that afternoon and be done.

Your off on concrete cost but only by 6-8 dollars a yard. That’s nothing really on a job this size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SCM was the only concrete company around till 4-5 years ago.

I just locked them in at 152 a yard for a project close to Jody but there is a couple thousand yards in the job

SCM was the only concrete company around till 4-5 years ago.

I just locked them in at 152 a yard for a project close to Jody but there is a couple thousand yards in the job

Add a 35cy buffer to your project and help your brotha out ;)

One man with a dump truck and an excavator can do all your grading in a week if he knows what he's doing. What is all the back filling for? Stump holes? You can save some money if you have a place he can scrape some decent dirt off of on the property.

Roughly $50 sq/ft for the building, erection, plumbing,wiring, doors, etc.
$13.75 sq/ft for concrete
I knew the grading and clearing would be high, but I had no idea I would get a number like that. I was really hoping for the $85ish mark out the door.
Going to get some more estimates and go from there.

Here's some deets:
01/17/2020 Grading/Site Work Clearing, Rough Grading (Driveway and approx 110' x 80' building pad), back fill, Gravel parking area and driveway, finish grading, hydro seeding all disturbed areas 1 46,900.00 46,900.00
01/17/2020 Concrete Concrete Pad for 60' x 40' Metal Building. 5" 4000 psi concrete with wire mesh. (estimate until final engineering) 1 32,930.00 32,930.00
01/17/2020 Residental Const 60' x 40' x 14' metal building with r13 insulation 1 61,000.00 61,000.00
01/17/2020 Residental Const 3 - 12' x 12' garage doors with one glass panel and manual chain hoist 3 2,300.00 6,900.00
01/17/2020 Residental Const Electrical Budget (200 amp panel, 6 over head lights, 7 outlets) 1 7,000.00 7,000.00
01/17/2020 Residental Const Plumbing Budget (Slab rough in, toilet and utility sink) 1 5,000.00 5,000.00
01/17/2020 Residental Const Water Line (estimated 300') 300 5.00 1,500.00
01/17/2020 Residental Const Sewer Line (estimated 300') 300 12.00 3,600.00
01/17/2020 Residental Const Budget to frame and finish bathroom 1 6,000.00 6,000.00
01/17/2020 Residental Const Permits, Dumpster and Porta John 1 1,200.00 1,200.00
TOTAL $172,030.00

Grading seems high but I haven’t seen your property. Can save some $ by manually seeding in lieu of hydro seeding.
Plumbing looks high for the scope.
Concrete is about triple what it should be. Flatwork for concrete is really easy, especially if it’s already graded. Add fiber in the concrete and eliminate the wire. Commercial/industrial flatwork in bulk has been about $350/CY; your estimate is nearly $1,000/CY for some reason.
Metal building looks to be about $15k high
Water and sewer is about twice what I’d estimate.
haven’t seen your bathroom but a simple shop bathroom shouldn’t be that much $. Likely half.

that’s my take on it without seeing the plans.
Came here to post pretty much exactly that. Everything seems high, except the last item seems low, haha.

The first 3 seem about $20k high EACH, and everything else is roughly double what it should be.

I’m not too surprised honestly with the quotes I have gotten in Raleigh for my house. I have an attached car port that shares the roof with my house and is enclosed already on two sides. I wanted quotes to enclose the two sides, put a garage door. Remove 6’ of a non load bearing wall, put a door into the house, and move the water connections to the washer (some lights and other minor stuff) and they wanted 15k for that. Going to have to just not be lazy and do it myself and it will likely cost about 5k on the high end

One man with a dump truck and an excavator can do all your grading in a week if he knows what he's doing. What is all the back filling for? Stump holes? You can save some money if you have a place he can scrape some decent dirt off of on the property.
All dirt will remain on property.
I have a grader coming by next week. Then I'll get some quotes from more local GCs to construct building.

I think dude didn’t wanna do it and just priced himself high enough that you’d either go elsewhere or he’d make a killing if you did go with him.

I always try to act real poor when getting quotes for things. I actually barley have to act. But you don’t do a good job at acting poor, so flashy and stuff with your mint ranger and fancy dog.

I think dude didn’t wanna do it and just priced himself high enough that you’d either go elsewhere or he’d make a killing if you did go with him.

I always try to act real poor when getting quotes for things. I actually barley have to act. But you don’t do a good job at acting poor, so flashy and stuff with your mint ranger and fancy dog.
Next time I won't meet him in my fur bath robe and diamond Crocs.

Since I completed my building, my builder has shown a dozen or so folks and we've tag teamed to design/build 7 of these so far. They all vary because of level of trim and selections. But the constant here in the triad is concrete. Were at $150 a yard. Works out to $5 a sqft installed for 3500 fiber.
In the triad, a good grader for noncommercial is 2yrs out. One that will REMOVE trees, stumps and all, will cost you. This weather isnt helping anything.
This is the worst time to build in a long time.

And I'm fittin to build a house :mad:

Since I completed my building, my builder has shown a dozen or so folks and we've tag teamed to design/build 7 of these so far. They all vary because of level of trim and selections. But the constant here in the triad is concrete. Were at $150 a yard. Works out to $5 a sqft installed for 3500 fiber.
In the triad, a good grader for noncommercial is 2yrs out. One that will REMOVE trees, stumps and all, will cost you. This weather isnt helping anything.
This is the worst time to build in a long time.

And I'm fittin to build a house :mad:
Hell I’d live in the Butler’s pantry in the new garage.

So did you get the estimates? Inquiring minds want to know. :)
After speaking with some local contractors, they all agree dooder #1 is approx $80k high.

We recently moved our business up here in Fletcher and then did some light renovations. Been too preoccupied to get more quotes.
I plan to in the near future with fingers crossed

At the rate we are going, of the economy tanks you can wait a few months and I bet your new quotes come back much cheaper.

That, among other financial reasons (read trying to purchase more adjoining property) has put this project on hold.
Now ain't the time to spend $100k I've been saving for years.
But I will spend that coin on discounted land and possibly a future rental property when hysteria takes over.
Then I'll be able to build a 4000 sq/ft shop!

Last edited:
Anyone quoted a red iron lately? I'm curious if the prices have cooled any. I'm tempted to call Nash Building supply for a quote but I don't want a salesman hounding me when it's still too high.

Back