Time to build a shop of my own

Jody Treadway

Croc wearing fool
Been renting shop space for years and it's time to build my own workshop at my crib. Many of you all on here have either built them yourself or are in the business of building them. So, I have a few questions.

Looking at 2000-2400 sq/ft, metal building, 3 roll up doors, office, bathroom/groom room for the pups. I will be having the GC do it turnkey. I don't have time to manage it. I'm talking them cutting down the first tree to clear the lot to them handing me the keys.

What are typical per sq/ft numbers you are seeing including concrete? There will be 1 lift inside as far as pad thickness in that area goes.

I'm meeting with the first potential GC next week and would like to have an idea of what I'm up against.

Edit: Metal framed, insulated, no HVAC yet (I'll handle that down the road)

Last edited:
In for the info you get.... I wonder how much your loctation will effect the cost...

Last edited:
Call me soon and let’s talk about that concrete. I can set you up with the same treatment Troy is about to get with densifier and oil block. Permanently sealed floor that will make gear oil, antifreeze and everything clean right up and no dusting.

Call me soon and let’s talk about that concrete. I can set you up with the same treatment Troy is about to get with densifier and oil block. Permanently sealed floor that will make gear oil, antifreeze and everything clean right up and no dusting.

Thanks. I'll get with my local Guaranteed when the time comes. We work together on projects frequently.

Thanks. I'll get with my local Guaranteed when the time comes. We work together on projects frequently.

They will give you the basic stuff and info if you like. I was actually offering to do it for you since I’m doing that on the side now.

It really depends on the building type/quality, size of office, Elec requirements, etc etc.

You can probably get that done cheaply for $30k but it’s a Fuller carport type building and minimal wiring inside.

if you want red iron, Elec roll up doors, lots of power outlets, plumbing, pretty shag carpet and mirrors on the ceiling in the office, I’d plan/budget $25 per foot, maybe more.

I mean, the building itself, with red iron, will likely cost you around $25k by itself in materials alone. Flat work is about $200/CY, then add in erection, plumbing, Elec, and interior finishes, and you are adding the $ fast.

My shop build is way over budget. Hardest thing for me is trying to find people to work. My GC basically vanished on me when it was time to start. I had to take over. I hope you’re erecting goes smoother than mine. We got snow here last night so the crew isn’t working today. Weather delays have been a pain too.

I mean, the building itself, with red iron, will likely cost you around $25k by itself in materials alone.
Make that closer to 40k if you want engineered stamped plans, insulation, 3 roll up doors, and deliver. Add sky lights, powered roll up doors and inside metal paneling to protect the insulation and well there is another 5 grand easily.

@tobaccoroad4wd had something built similar and can chime in. Red iron building, two big roll up doors, entry door and 1 pass thru rollup on the back side of the building. Similar sq/ft to what you're talking about.

Whatever you do, do NOT and I repeat do NOT put in skylights. They turn the shop into a greenhouse. We went through that at work and the temps are way more regulated and the hvac works a lot less once we got rid of them when the new roof went on. Regarding the future HVAC, With good insulation and some exhaust fans, it can be tolerable in the summer months without it. Mainly as long as you can just get the air moving. Maybe scoop a used PortACool for the stupid hot days.

Def no skylighjts. My current shop has them and I'm not a fan. I do plan on opposing exhaust fans at some point.
I'ma bit fearful of sticker shock to be honest. I have a budget in mind and funds ready, but not so sure I'll get the sq/ft I want for the $$$ I have to spend.

I don't know if GCs for buildings are different than for houses, but my parents have been trying for over a year to get a GC to build them a cabin in the mountains. Nobody will bid it. Some won't even come look at the lot. They've already had the well drilled and a septic tank installed. Just no bids on building the house.

i dont think its what you want but a carport type building you could get done for under $20k with concrete...I've got a friend who did one earlier this year and loves his. I just cant convince myself ill be satisfied.

We are talking about building something almost identical- but less than 1000 sf. (maybe 26x34)

I’m interested in your findings since we’re just a few miles away.

Biggest drive in doors you can get, brightest LED lights you can get, best insulation you can get, and great cooling and heating..

I built a 50'X56' about 15 years ago ky steel truss building it cost $50,000.00 then but I have 3 bay doors 2 on one end and 1 on the other so I can get air through in the summer months with a bathroom and office. I like my set up my floors are 6 to 8 in thick so I can pull heavy equipment in to work on when needed. It is insulated and the cost to heat it in the winter is about $1000.00 a winter to heat it with propane we are in there about 12 to 16 hours a day.

i dont think its what you want but a carport type building you could get done for under $20k with concrete...I've got a friend who did one earlier this year and loves his. I just cant convince myself ill be satisfied.

Definitely do not want that. This will be a long term property and I want a shop of my own. We live in our "forever" home at this point. So I am ready to drop the coin on my dream shop. Somewhere to keep our camper, my rig, my tow rig and still have room for projects. I'm a buy once, cry once kind of guy (but on a budget).

I don't know if GCs for buildings are different than for houses, but my parents have been trying for over a year to get a GC to build them a cabin in the mountains. Nobody will bid it. Some won't even come look at the lot. They've already had the well drilled and a septic tank installed. Just no bids on building the house.

I don't feel so bad now. People have people dropping off the face of the earth after talking back and forth and doing a few site visits for my shop/garage (not even very big). I don't know if anyone wants to mess with anything other than a house in our booming area, and I got a quote for $150k for no reason I can fathom, other than that builder normally builds in trendy parts of Charlotte. The construction cost of the garage would about equal the current value of the house, not including the land at that ridiculous quote rate.

Turnkey for the building, I was in for about 33 per sq.ft. Red iron, insulation, concrete (50 yds), 16.5' sidewalls 2 at 12x12 doors, 2 at 14x14 doors, 2 man doors. No electrical, no sitework.

One wall (west side) I did 4' of translucent panel at the top of the wall for the length of the building. Most daytimes it's bright enough inside with no lighting, maybe just task lighting on what you are doing. Bottom of panel is 12' off the ground, so no security issue, light not blocked by shelving, etc. Would definitely do that again.

Add sky lights, powered roll up doors and inside metal paneling to protect the insulation and well there is another 5 grand easily.

IMHO That will be low. Just the metal interior was $7k for my 30x40x14 Of course YMMV
3372.jpeg

Figure $50/sqft, and hope it comes in lower. Material prices are high, and labor prices are stupid right now. Mine was about $13/sqft 5 years ago doing most of it myself.

Back