Training!

C.Berry

Bad News
so doing some training... I’m 34 in pretty good shape but not to the standards I want or need to be for upcoming endeavors. I have a good routine of eating, water intake and weekly PT! But I’m having harder time now with muscle recovery then say 15 years ago. My question is, will creatine help me in my efforts to recover quicker? I take triple amino3, and glucosamine only so I’m not injuring myself bc I’m really pushing my body past it’s point, but I have no choice and can’t let up even a inch I actually have to go harder starting next week! I’m 6’4” 228lb and not trying to gain a shit ton of mass to screw up my speed and agility, so a gym/beach body isn’t my goal at all. What do all y’all runners, gym freaks say? what is my best option here? I Don’t want to supplement if I don’t have to but I’m on a timeline and gotta keep on keeping on... thanks any input will be taken into account and appreciated!

Creatine will have to be matched by the appropriate amount of water intake to not cause a dehydration scenario. This can lead to water retention. Potassium, amino acids and lots of simple proteins to feed the muscles. Either way the best way to flush the lactic acid of of sore muscles is water and stretching (before and after excercise). Creatine never achieved it for me but to each their own.

Stretching I do pre and post workout, my water intake is min 4 liters daily and on days I run/ruck it’s usually 6+ liters Im only drinking water now no other liquids going into my body! I do shower in freezing ass cold water to reduce lactic acid bc ice baths are pita and hard to keep ice on hand daily! I’ve talked to a family member of mine that lifts and he said same thing you did, creatine could or could not help depends on the person! Thanks man! I need to add potassium tho to the mix more than likely!

I’m a yoga guy (take an hour class, bet most folks don’t make it to the half way mark). Most folks think touching their toes a couple times and a generic 5 minute stretch sequence is ‘stretching’. UT always taught your stretch routine should be as in depth and almost as long as your actual work out. Stretching/yoga, ice baths/showers and fresh pineapple is the best thing I’ve found for muscle recovery. I’ve never been a supplement guy...even when working out 4-6hrs/day...unless its what you’re doing full time, and your regimen is curated to what you want/what you’re doing, they just make your pee expensive.

Creatine causes water retention of the muscles. It helps get a couple more reps when lifting weights. The typical person will gain about 2% in weight, so you should expect to gain 4 lbs of water weight. Dehydration can be a problem in hot weather. It takes about 2 weeks to get saturated with it, and about the same amount of time to lose the water weight when you stop taking it. If you are trying to get in overall better cardio shape with long endurance workouts, then I would not take it. Eat right and rest, and your body will recover.

I've been taking creatine for five years. I don't take any other supplements as i believe that they all are a waste of money. I am 45 yrs old, but am in great shape and am the strongest I have ever been in my life.

Last edited:
120 oz. of beer a day or 12oz. clear/blanco tequila, 1/2 or 1 lb of fresh grilled hamburger/steak/chicken/fish/shrimp,fresh vegetables/ fruit, quality fish oil supplements and milk. Also remove or ignore all types of stress that you can................ w/o killing someone.

I read something recently about better results from longer stretches (as in holding stretches longer, even up to 2 minutes, so not unlike some yoga postures) for both recovery and strength improvement. If I can find it, I'll add it here...

I’m a yoga guy (take an hour class, bet most folks don’t make it to the half way mark). Most folks think touching their toes a couple times and a generic 5 minute stretch sequence is ‘stretching’. UT always taught your stretch routine should be as in depth and almost as long as your actual work out. Stretching/yoga, ice baths/showers and fresh pineapple is the best thing I’ve found for muscle recovery. I’ve never been a supplement guy...even when working out 4-6hrs/day...unless its what you’re doing full time, and your regimen is curated to what you want/what you’re doing, they just make your pee expensive.
Interesting! My workouts right now are 5am cardio 1hr then normal ole Military style PT till I’m spent or time for work at 7:20, then after work I give it hell until I can’t go any more every other day, in between those days I’m running 2-4 miles in AM, then ruck March with 30lbs 4-6 miles with no lettin up on mtns trails near the house!! And it’s gettin increased on run/ruck days this coming week! Wish I had more time really but determination will push through the pain I’m just not trying to injure myself or lose what I’m achieving due to muscles not repaired! thanks I may have to pick up a drop freezer just for some ice lol I’ve not trained like this since ehhh 03-05 but I was younger than so this is all good info for sure! I didn’t have to deal with muscle recovery as much then bc I had a blood thirst at that time in my life and nothing was stopping me or slowing me down, except for my two little nieces! Lol appreciate it Buddy your talking the whole pineapple not just juices correct?? Bc I can get down on some pineapple eating lol I’ll have to add that into my food intake for sure!

I read something recently about better results from longer stretches (as in holding stretches longer, even up to 2 minutes, so not unlike some yoga postures) for both recovery and strength improvement. If I can find it, I'll add it here...
Gonna have to drag my woman down to get my yoga form down bc I’ve never done it and I’m sure it’s gonna whoop my ass lol I’ve seen some true athletes have trouble with yoga tho! Until I know what I’m doing there I’ll def be increasing stretching only muscles that aren’t recovering are core and chest as of now legs are good to go until I load up my ruck to more weight then that’ll tell the tale!!

120 oz. of beer a day or 12oz. clear/blanco tequila, 1/2 or 1 lb of fresh grilled hamburger/steak/chicken/fish/shrimp,fresh vegetables/ fruit, quality fish oil supplements and milk. Also remove or ignore all types of stress that you can................ w/o killing someone.
Lol heard that my alcohol is cut off to 0% for next 6 months and hopefully longer the triple omega is what I’m using for fish oil, olive oil, flaxseed supplementation tho and I’ve cut out low quality beef sticking to chicken, fish and tons of avocado and fresh veggies!

Interesting! My workouts right now are 5am cardio 1hr then normal ole Military style PT till I’m spent or time for work at 7:20, then after work I give it hell until I can’t go any more every other day, in between those days I’m running 2-4 miles in AM, then ruck March with 30lbs 4-6 miles with no lettin up on mtns trails near the house!! And it’s gettin increased on run/ruck days this coming week! Wish I had more time really but determination will push through the pain I’m just not trying to injure myself or lose what I’m achieving due to muscles not repaired! thanks I may have to pick up a drop freezer just for some ice lol I’ve not trained like this since ehhh 03-05 but I was younger than so this is all good info for sure! I didn’t have to deal with muscle recovery as much then bc I had a blood thirst at that time in my life and nothing was stopping me or slowing me down, except for my two little nieces! Lol appreciate it Buddy your talking the whole pineapple not just juices correct?? Bc I can get down on some pineapple eating lol I’ll have to add that into my food intake for sure!

Yes whole pineapple...the fresher the better. And keep in mind, over training is a real thing. Doesn’t sound like you’re doing anything where overtraining would cause any injuries...but if you continually do the same/similar workouts, you’ll plateau. The key to continual improvement is switching it up, tricking your muscles and performing different movements to hit the same muscle groups.

Yes whole pineapple...the fresher the better. And keep in mind, over training is a real thing. Doesn’t sound like you’re doing anything where overtraining would cause any injuries...but if you continually do the same/similar workouts, you’ll plateau. The key to continual improvement is switching it up, tricking your muscles and performing different movements to hit the same muscle groups.
10-4! Thanks I’m excited I get to eat pineapples and it’s gonna benefit me!! Lol I doubt I’ll have time to plateau with what I’m doing tho but will def take into consideration if I feel like it’s oncoming!

Creatine causes water retention of the muscles. It helps get a couple more reps when lifting weights. The typical person will gain about 2% in weight, so you should expect to gain 4 lbs of water weight. Dehydration can be a problem in hot weather. It takes about 2 weeks to get saturated with it, and about the same amount of time to lose the water weight when you stop taking it. If you are trying to get in overall better cardio shape with long endurance workouts, then I would not take it. Eat right and rest, and your body will recover.

I've been taking creatine for five years. I don't take any other supplements as i believe that they all are a waste of money. I am 45 yrs old, but am in great shape and am the strongest I have ever been in my life.
Yeah I’m gonna keep it to natural training I do believe, it worked in the past for me so no sense in wasting the money if I don’t have to! My body will catch up hopefully sooner than later gotta get more rest in bc I avg 5-6 hours now and I know I need more than that but not enough time in the day/night! Thanks man hoping in 10 years I can say I’m in as good as shape as I was when I get through the suck that’s coming this year!!

I was doing some shit the other day and pulled my groin. Felt so good I pulled it again.

Eat real food. By that I mean single ingredient food. Period.

My wife has been reading about ultra marathoners, 50 and 100 mile racers who went 100% plant based with faster recovery times, faster race times and overall better fitness

I'm kicking myself back into my plan effective 22 minutes ago. Real food, no BS and move more.

Eat real food. By that I mean single ingredient food. Period.

My wife has been reading about ultra marathoners, 50 and 100 mile racers who went 100% plant based with faster recovery times, faster race times and overall better fitness

I'm kicking myself back into my plan effective 22 minutes ago. Real food, no BS and move more.

I kicked in 12/26 myslef. Down a bit already...a loooong way to go though.

Just to stir it a bit, there are some serious ultra guys who swear by keto...for the express reason of depleting glycogen stores and preventing hitting that wall.

I agree 100% with real single ingredient food though.

I got nothin' to add here except - you think 34 is "oldish"? lol. statistically that isn't even into middle age.

Can you tell us what your training for?

My workouts right now are 5am cardio 1hr then normal ole Military style PT till I’m spent or time for work at 7:20, then after work I give it hell until I can’t go any more every other day, in between those days I’m running 2-4 miles in AM, then ruck March with 30lbs 4-6 miles with no lettin up on mtns trails near the house!! And it’s gettin increased on run/ruck days this coming week!
1. How do you have time for all that?
Can you tell us what your training for?
3. You're already doing more than 99% of the people on here, so my advice would be dont take our advice :lol:

Yeah I’m gonna keep it to natural training I do believe, it worked in the past for me so no sense in wasting the money if I don’t have to! My body will catch up hopefully sooner than later gotta get more rest in bc I avg 5-6 hours now and I know I need more than that but not enough time in the day/night! Thanks man hoping in 10 years I can say I’m in as good as shape as I was when I get through the suck that’s coming this year!!

5-6 hrs probably isn't enough sleep. Most people need 7+. Good quality sleep is very important. That is when your testosterone and HGH levels are replenished. Rest/time between workouts is very important for your muscles to be repaired.

I kicked in 12/26 myslef. Down a bit already...a loooong way to go though.

Just to stir it a bit, there are some serious ultra guys who swear by keto...for the express reason of depleting glycogen stores and preventing hitting that wall.

I agree 100% with real single ingredient food though.

Keto works great. I know a few close friends who have adopted it as a lifestyle. That's the only way any "diet" works. If it becomes a lifestyle.
I'm back on what I did in 2016 when I lost so much weight and maintained very well ever ssince. Primarily meat, veggies, fruit with very little refined sugars. Keep it low sodium and no processed garbage. Limit going out to eat too
It easy really as long as you plan what to eat while traveling. As a bonus, it's cheaper than eating processed garbage.

Much easier to taylor a workout plan when we know what the end goal is. Your body doesn't recover like it used to. You need to really focus on sleep and recovery to make sure that the workouts that you have just completed are beneficial.

To get to where you need to be you need to have a fairly focused plan.

Back