Training!

Not sure what your 'future endeavors' might be but it sounds like you are saying two separate things. Not overtraining and your schedule are worlds apart. I don't do the 'mud runs' but if you're doing something like that, I'd look into a training program for that. I ride/race bicycles and at 34-35 yrs, age wasn't a thing. I think a lot of it is in your head. We were never as good as we usedtacould but you aren't old. I think your perception of effort is skewed some and it sounds like you just need some direction. My advice is to get some advice for whatever event it is you're wanting to do- assuming that is your plan. If it's general well being, exercise, weight training, rest, and a balanced diet are the norm. No secrets there.

And for recovery- no thanks one ice baths or showers. A massage stick is good enough for me.

I do a post work out stack thing from a place called 1st Phorm. It’s a protein shake and something else mixed in. When I had shoulder surgery worked myself pretty hard to get back to my job. Was never a bit sore. I’ll send you a pic if youde like

I was doing some shit the other day and pulled my groin. Felt so good I pulled it again.
I swear I’m gonna bring you wine coolers when I meet you
I got nothin' to add here except - you think 34 is "oldish"? lol. statistically that isn't even into middle age.
that was seriously just for jokes, I’m far from old but my nieces and my woman call me old all the time bc of how I am and old fashioned stuff I do! Lol at 54 we’ll talk about “starting” to really be older my mind says I’m 18 everyday I wake up!

1. How do you have time for all that?
3. You're already doing more than 99% of the people on here, so my advice would be dont take our advice :lol:
A shit ton of discipline and less sleep sometimes. When I’m working out I n morns or if on treadmill, I’m running up stairs in fixing baby bottles, waking boys up for school feeding all the animals, catering to my awesome woman when needed. It’s a learning curve to say the least, But I’ve got a goal I’m gonna reach.. I just make time and my woman’s a bad ass mofo that’s understanding and can handle a lot! Thank god for her, or I’d not be able to do all this!

Last edited:
Can you tell us what your training for?
If it’s the good lords will, to become part of the SOF family for our great military! Two badass fellas on here woke me up the fact that I can still live my dream, bc I thought it was just that, a dream! Thank you @Wes @BrianGreen and I’m damn sure gonna give it all I can while I still have a chance!

Last edited:
Keto works great. I know a few close friends who have adopted it as a lifestyle. That's the only way any "diet" works. If it becomes a lifestyle.
I'm back on what I did in 2016 when I lost so much weight and maintained very well ever ssince. Primarily meat, veggies, fruit with very little refined sugars. Keep it low sodium and no processed garbage. Limit going out to eat too
It easy really as long as you plan what to eat while traveling. As a bonus, it's cheaper than eating processed garbage.
Glad your back on it let’s use this thread to motivate each other and anyone else that’s trying to get back to their fighting weight!! I seriously wasn’t sure what keto was I was assuming martial arts lol I’ve never truly dieted to lose weight I’ve always just worked on farms and manual labor jobs to keep in shape and got paid at same time! Will check into ketogenics tho

If it’s good lords will to become part of the SOF family for our great military! Two badass fellas on here woke me up the fact that I can still live my dream, bc I thought it was just that a dream! Thank you @Wes @BrianGreen and I’m damn sure gonna give it all I can while I still have a chance!
Damn Skippy get it for me. I wasn't even allowed a foot in the door do to a really big scar and medical.
God speed and praying for some blessings you get your dreams accomplished.

Not sure what your 'future endeavors' might be but it sounds like you are saying two separate things. Not overtraining and your schedule are worlds apart. I don't do the 'mud runs' but if you're doing something like that, I'd look into a training program for that. I ride/race bicycles and at 34-35 yrs, age wasn't a thing. I think a lot of it is in your head. We were never as good as we usedtacould but you aren't old. I think your perception of effort is skewed some and it sounds like you just need some direction. My advice is to get some advice for whatever event it is you're wanting to do- assuming that is your plan. If it's general well being, exercise, weight training, rest, and a balanced diet are the norm. No secrets there.

And for recovery- no thanks one ice baths or showers. A massage stick is good enough for me.
Unfortunately my schedule has to work around family, work, then family I can’t skip any of those parts even if it makes me switch training up! Thanks for input buddy all is taken into consideration I assure you!

Damn Skippy get it for me. I wasn't even allowed a foot in the door do to a really big scar and medical.
God speed and praying for some blessings you get your dreams accomplished.
Thanks brother I will not fail! Not in my blood to quit either, my family’s served in almost every us conflict in US history that I’ve researched and have some family in Arlington as we speak now so it’s more then a personal goal so to speak! Sorry to hear you couldn’t join god knows we need more folks willing to give it all to keep this country safe! Thankful I still have a chance too!

Glad your back on it let’s use this thread to motivate each other and anyone else that’s trying to get back to their fighting weight!! I seriously wasn’t sure what keto was I was assuming martial arts lol I’ve never truly dieted to lose weight I’ve always just worked on farms and manual labor jobs to keep in shape and got paid at same time! Will check into ketogenics tho

I'm not dieting or anything. Just continuing to stay the course. That's why the lifestyle aspect works so well.
I am training for another 25k trail race on Feb 2 and road race 2 weeks later. As a result, I want to better my times from years past.

And a little backstory so no one thinks I’m some TV hyped up,American sniper wannabe or media motivated warrior... 05 I was enlisting into the Navy to try out for BUDs (before people knew what the SEAL teams were) and had trained since getting out of HS in 02 I was more than ready imo but god had other plans for me to raise two kids, had to back out to help my family instead, well I’ve lived wth regret and guilt since that day bc of all the guys I trained with, some not with us now and some injured or mentally screwed up by what they encountered over there! For some reason I feel like I could have changed the outcome of some of that, in reality I’d possibly not be here now which will eat at a man alive eventually... My nieces probably saved my life in a sense. I’m just glad I still have a fighting chance to give back and carry on a family tradition and that I have support from friends and family to allow me to do this task which some think is impossible! Can’t thank @Wes and @BrianGreen enough tho bc i wasn’t aware of the contracts they offer now that weren’t options back then!

Last edited:
I'm not dieting or anything. Just continuing to stay the course. That's why the lifestyle aspect works so well.
I am training for another 25k trail race on Feb 2 and road race 2 weeks later. As a result, I want to better my times from years past.
Well from what I see you and your wife achieving in marathons i have no doubt you’ll beat ya past times! Good luck I’ll be keeping up on here and fb on how they go!!

Well from what I see you and your wife achieving in marathons i have no doubt you’ll beat ya past times! Good luck I’ll be keeping up on here and fb on how they go!!
Thanks man. Turning 40 made me want to make the next 40 better.

I'm gonna start a thread later today or tomorrow regarding a fitness check in for NC4x4 members.
Stay tuned

If it’s good lords will to become part of the SOF family for our great military! Two badass fellas on here woke me up the fact that I can still live my dream, bc I thought it was just that, a dream! Thank you @Wes @BrianGreen and I’m damn sure gonna give it all I can while I still have a chance!
You got this. There are all walks of life within SOF. Young, old, studs, nerds, you name it. It all boils down to how bad do you want it. Everyone has an image of Rambo when they think of operators. 90% look nothing like that. Just a bunch mean assholes that get the job done. I’ve seen some unassuming guys that most folks wouldn’t give a second look at on the streets, but When shit goes sideways they go into beast mode. I had a guy on my team who was in his 40’s and he used to crush us. Age ain’t nothing. I remember having a team ruck run competition. It was about 8 miles with a 45 pound ruck. I left everyone in the dust. I was so far ahead I couldn’t even see anyone. All of a sudden the guy in his 40’s blows by me like I’m going backwards. He’s all cleaned up ant drinking coffee by the time everyone gets back to the team room. Hell, he went and tried out for delta in his 40’s. Long story short, don’t get wrapped around the age thing. You’ll be fine.

You got this. There are all walks of life within SOF. Young, old, studs, nerds, you name it. It all boils down to how bad do you want it. Everyone has an image of Rambo when they think of operators. 90% look nothing like that. Just a bunch mean assholes that get the job done. I’ve seen some unassuming guys that most folks wouldn’t give a second look at on the streets, but When shit goes sideways they go into beast mode. I had a guy on my team who was in his 40’s and he used to crush us. Age ain’t nothing. I remember having a team ruck run competition. It was about 8 miles with a 45 pound ruck. I left everyone in the dust. I was so far ahead I couldn’t even see anyone. All of a sudden the guy in his 40’s blows by me like I’m going backwards. He’s all cleaned up ant drinking coffee by the time everyone gets back to the team room. Hell, he went and tried out for delta in his 40’s. Long story short, don’t get wrapped around the age thing. You’ll be fine.
Wait what? You mean I don’t get to run around in the jungle with my shirt off, carrying a huge Bowie knife blowing shit up with explosive tips arrows??? Huge let down there, not gonna lie! Lol
that’s a badass story tho about the 40 year old rucking monster... When I make it they’ll have to pry my ass away as the oldest operator in us history if I have any say in it! Or my woman will kill me in my sleep bc I’m requesting every single op I can jump in on lol and that’ll be end of this mans story! I’ve read of several guys in 40s whooping ass on the Q course since I spoke with you, it fuels me even more to know I can have still have that much time left to make a diff In this world doing what I’ve dreamed of doing since a small kid! Thanks brother!

Ok, well I thought I was going to give you some good advice on a local 5k but it sounds like you'll get dropped off 5k from your bunk.

1. Focus on sleep. You need the recovery.
2. You need high quality nutrition right after you workout.
3. Don't over do it. More is not better. Better is better. You will not be able to with stand 2x day's and 3x day's.
4. Flexibility. Ever see a little kid get twisted up falling off a couch or trampoline and then they are right back up the next minute. That's those young muscles and tendons. You need to be as flexible as possible. I would recommend going to Physical Therapist and get your hips and shoulders looked at. You need to take care of any lingering issues before you go to (appropriate acronym here). This is also where YOGA comes in.
5. Running will injure you, eventually. Some folks are super gifted and can pile on the miles very quickly. Others can't. You need to know which you are. I would play it safe in the build up of your mileage between here and there. No more than 10% per week.
6. If you have time and energy get a HR monitor. It will give you lots of insight on how you are working out. I mostly used mine to make sure that I wasn't going too hard too often. It was easy to get it real high and keep it there, but much more difficult to keep it in the aerobic zone.
7. You need to go into this fully charged. The two weeks before you need to back off your training quite a bit. Use this time for rest and recovery. Eat well. You will not lose any fitness. You should do something like 50% of the volume you were going. Just enough to keep the blood flowing.

A couple follow up questions:

What is 1 hour of cardio look like?
What does PT till I'm too tired look like?
What does give it hell after work look like?
How many weeks until it starts?

My major concern is that you are going to blow yourself up between here and there with pure power of will. I can really understand you motivation and your desire to be ready to reach your goal. But, you're not 18 any more. You have 16 more years of life to go on. Use that to your advantage.

What is 1 hour of cardio look like?
What does PT till I'm too tired look like?
What does give it hell after work look like?
How many weeks until it starts?
AM cardio is stretch 10mins typically 20 mins on bike or treadmill sometimes split between both to get warmed up and flowing, I do basic stuff jumping jacks 10mins straight, burpees 10mins, back on treadmill for 1mile slow pace jog 8-9min, break 2mins, 15lb bells 10-15mins and then eat! Usually 30 min depending on kiddos!
AM pt is pushups typically 3sets 10 reps, I switch in between sets of pushups and do sit-ups for break been doing some crunches tho bc of soreness, 3 sets of sit-ups 30 each set,(sometimes more sometimes less but that’s the avg) after that it’s squats with 10lb weight holding against my chest for 20 reps, 2-3min break, I then plank for 1min flip over to scissor kicks for 3mins alternating planks and scissor kicks for roughly 10mins, planks rock me pretty good Am or PM dunno why!?? Lol If time allows I do some hill climbers as I call it hands on ground and just dig with feet. I’m usually spent by then and I’ll stretch good afterwards pretty basic but it’s far from a “routine” you could say!
After work it’s usually 2miles On treadmill nice slow pace, then back to my morning pt “routine” but I add 2 sets to each workout or until I can’t push-up or sit-up at least, planks are 2mins each switching back and forth to scissor kicks for total of 20mins. I deadlift 100-150lbs on flat bar usually 20reps 3 sets, break 3mins then 40lb overhead press for 2sets 20-30 reps! I like to do a deadlift to overhead press too! it’s my favorite lift dunno why I find it fun usually no more than 120lbs tho for 3sets of 3! Squats I’ll use flat bar with 40lbs hold against chest and 3sets of 10! I finish PM off with bike to cool down and then stretch!
Every other day I’m walking with my shitty pack on with 30lb weights inside most I’ve went is 45lbs for a min 4miles bc that how long the trail is I hit close to home 2.2miles each way uphill on the way up so I can make the uphill part lol! It’s honestly a mess but it’s not to bad for someone who don’t spend time living to workout!! I turn 35 on 3/26/19 going to try and have meps setup by 2/15/19 in case I have to go back or something happens so I’ll have Lil over a month to get it straight! Not much time really but gonna do what I can with what I have! Hopefully it’ll pay off In long run and basic will assist a little in my endurance I have no doubt.. Minimum requirements I’d like to pass by at least double on everything, except the two mile, I should be able to pull off 7min mile by then best I’ve ever ran is a 6:40ish back in school days so not expecting much better but I may surprise myself... whatcha think? My pull-ups are shit and having a bar now to do them I’ll be adding those to afternoon pt bc I gotta be able to do 6 so I’m aiming for min of 12! Right now I’m at 4 don’t judge me... I don’t have a gym or anything I use just some old equipment in the basement and gotta make the best out of it! Requirements are min 49 push-ups, 59 sit-ups, 15:12 2mile and 6 pull-ups! But that’s slacker requirements imo I won’t settle for minimum score not a option! I need a trainer I’m sure but with recent situations in the family money won’t allow that especially when my jobs not always a 5day week and I’m use to 6days a week at last job for twice the pay! No biggie tho I feel good about it if I can get my pushups to at least 100 in 2mins sit-ups I can crush by this time next month I’m hoping and pull-ups are a concern but will progress! This is my 3rd week on this schedule so to say I’m prepared is a joke but it’s gonna be more mental then physical I already know and my heads right I got my family behind me and like mentioned, I won’t quit!

I think that the reason that you are not recovering very well is that you are doing both exercises both morning and afternoon and then throwing the Ruck on top of that. I think that you need to focus on strength training or endurance training either AM or PM.

I think that you'd be better off in the long run to just run in the AM and the just lift in the afternoon. Even then your not going to recover very well doing them every day. Your lifting needs a split where you working upper/lower or push/pull.

If you are doing burpees for 10 min straight you're in pretty good shape.

Monday-AM Warm-up; Run
Monday-PM Strength Training
Tuesday-AM Warm-up; Burpees, Jumping Jacks, Hill Climbers, Yoga'ish' stretch
Tuesday PM- Ruck Walk
Wednesday-AM Warm-up; Run
Wednesday-PM- Strength Training
Thursday AM-Warm-up; Burpees, Jumping Jacks, Hill Climbers, Yoga'ish' stretch
Thursday PM- Ruck Walk
Friday-AM Warm-up; Run
Friday-PM- Strength Training
Saturday-AM-Warm-up; Burpees, Jumping Jacks, Hill Climbers, Long Ruck
Sunday- Rest

For Running- One run needs to be hard and fast. I like intervals. Say run 2 min rest 1 min. You'll want to run faster than goal pace. So if goal pace is 7:00 min/mile you need to be running 6:15 to 6:30 min/mile for the 2 min. Start with say 10 reps. The other two runs need to be easy. Slower than goal pace(7:00) then you need to run 8:30 to 9:00 min/mile for 30 plus minutes working toward 45-60.

For Strength Training- You can do your full body workout each day. Work towards 100+ push ups and sit ups. 20x5 or 25x4 or 50x2(mix it up) Work pull-ups here too. You can keep your other stuff here as well.

For Ruck- You make this seem very important. Work on increasing your milage here. You have three rucks a week. Try to get to 8 miles Tuesday/Thursday then 12 on Saturday. Working toward 16 on Saturday.

And you were posting on here at 12:10 AM. Go to sleep!

I think that the reason that you are not recovering very well is that you are doing both exercises both morning and afternoon and then throwing the Ruck on top of that. I think that you need to focus on strength training or endurance training either AM or PM.

I think that you'd be better off in the long run to just run in the AM and the just lift in the afternoon. Even then your not going to recover very well doing them every day. Your lifting needs a split where you working upper/lower or push/pull.

If you are doing burpees for 10 min straight you're in pretty good shape.

Monday-AM Warm-up; Run
Monday-PM Strength Training
Tuesday-AM Warm-up; Burpees, Jumping Jacks, Hill Climbers, Yoga'ish' stretch
Tuesday PM- Ruck Walk
Wednesday-AM Warm-up; Run
Wednesday-PM- Strength Training
Thursday AM-Warm-up; Burpees, Jumping Jacks, Hill Climbers, Yoga'ish' stretch
Thursday PM- Ruck Walk
Friday-AM Warm-up; Run
Friday-PM- Strength Training
Saturday-AM-Warm-up; Burpees, Jumping Jacks, Hill Climbers, Long Ruck
Sunday- Rest

For Running- One run needs to be hard and fast. I like intervals. Say run 2 min rest 1 min. You'll want to run faster than goal pace. So if goal pace is 7:00 min/mile you need to be running 6:15 to 6:30 min/mile for the 2 min. Start with say 10 reps. The other two runs need to be easy. Slower than goal pace(7:00) then you need to run 8:30 to 9:00 min/mile for 30 plus minutes working toward 45-60.

For Strength Training- You can do your full body workout each day. Work towards 100+ push ups and sit ups. 20x5 or 25x4 or 50x2(mix it up) Work pull-ups here too. You can keep your other stuff here as well.

For Ruck- You make this seem very important. Work on increasing your milage here. You have three rucks a week. Try to get to 8 miles Tuesday/Thursday then 12 on Saturday. Working toward 16 on Saturday.

And you were posting on here at 12:10 AM. Go to sleep!
Thanks an I agree with that 100% my routine is tough nd burpees for 10mins def bring the pain but it’s a good pain when I look at the goal! I greatly appreciate the time ya taking to help me get this to a good standard! Reason I’m pushing so hard is bc I know that basic,AIT isn’t to trim someone for SF by any means so I was looking at it like I needed to push myself as hard now as I’ll be pushed come OSUT and selection but your right! I’ve been discussing all thi with a family member on mine that weight trains but his workouts are to beef up I’m not looking to put on tons of mass I like my speed for my size and don’t ant to lose that by gaining tons of mass but I def need to put on some muscle I’d say I could lose 15-20lbs in next month but would like to at least out 10lb back on of mass at same time I’ve not been under 200lb since I was 14 yrs old and I’m comfortable at 205 but feel stronger at 220 weight! And you are correct on 12am Nc4x4 time I’m starting this weekend of 4am wake up and gonna have some more AM time to recoop and out in longer runs off the treadmill and actually hit the trails instead! I’ll read back over this after work and incorporate it into my workouts! Thank you!

From about 45-53 I did pretty hard training with a trainer and in classes 3-5 times per week. I was in good shape, no gut and could do a lot without getting the least bit winded. We did lots of burpees, squats, pushups, etc. My knees have been an issue for a long time so I quit all that after my first knee surgery in '17. First of all, SAVE YOUR JOINTS! Running and jumping and deep squats are not your friend. Modify, use bikes and less impactful cardio options as much as possible. Stretching, yoga, pilates are good to use once a week or more but stretch and warmup at each exercise session. Eat as good as you can, enjoy your life, just don't overindulge...to much.
As said before you are already doing more than most here so keep it up, you're doing fine!

Good luck @C.Berry !
I would caution you to be reasonable with your expectations. More isnt more. You arent adding 10lbs of muscle mass in 2 months unless you get friendly with a needle.

Good luck @C.Berry !
I would caution you to be reasonable with your expectations. More isnt more. You arent adding 10lbs of muscle mass in 2 months unless you get friendly with a needle.
Yeah I understand that wishful thinking I reckon lol that 10lb will get out on in good time if it’s needed at all. A needle is not a option I’m not the kinda guy, steroids like tht are for people tht don’t have any drive or determination imo! I didn’t even wanna do supplements really bc I know hard work can do amazing things all by itself! Glad I started this thread bc it’s def already helped in a lot of decision I wanna tossing around!

I'm gonna start a thread later today or tomorrow regarding a fitness check in for NC4x4 members.
Stay tuned
Looking forward to seeing this. Ought to serve well as motivation and accountability for folks. Staying tuned...

From about 45-53 I did pretty hard training with a trainer and in classes 3-5 times per week. I was in good shape, no gut and could do a lot without getting the least bit winded. We did lots of burpees, squats, pushups, etc. My knees have been an issue for a long time so I quit all that after my first knee surgery in '17. First of all, SAVE YOUR JOINTS! Running and jumping and deep squats are not your friend. Modify, use bikes and less impactful cardio options as much as possible. Stretching, yoga, pilates are good to use once a week or more but stretch and warmup at each exercise session. Eat as good as you can, enjoy your life, just don't overindulge...to much.
As said before you are already doing more than most here so keep it up, you're doing fine!
Thank you! yeah thank god my knees and joints after 20+ years of manual labor are still in good shape and I don’t have to take any meds daily for anything which is great also! Def gonna look into yoga my woman knows some of those exercises so she may be helping out and gettin a good laugh out of that at the same time! Lol I’m staying positive even if I don’t reach the goals I set before going in that I’ll be good to go with a clear mind and all the support I have! Def motivates a man to know others want you to succeed!!

Back