Trends that I just don't get....

13bullets: thought so, just couldn't think of it off the top of my head.

Hurley: there's a local guy that has an 05 Dodge, almost like yours, it's a 2500 short bed, factory rims, etc. However, his giveaway is the cab bars, lexan rear window, and a 31x18.50 rear tire on those widened stock rear rims. Then you look in the "bed" and see a battery on each side, fuel cell in the center, and huge wheel tubs :D He says 850+ hp, 92 lbs of boost, and an average of 26 mpg. Gawd, I love diesels!

Here's something else I don't get.... poor spelling and grammar. Doesn't anyone know the difference between "your" and you're" ?! How about there, their, and they're? Than and then? Affect and effect? It's rampant among my age group and younger, although I'm quite surprised at how many older people are ignorant to their own language as well. It's not quite what I had in mind when I started this thread, but it is a trend...and I don't get it!

The guys at work make sport of me quite often for my seemingly random and vast knowledge, but it's simply from paying attention and retaining what I've seen. Who's the guy they always ask when they don't know how to spell something...I'll give you one guess :huggy:

Last edited:
Here's something else I don't get.... poor spelling and grammar. Doesn't anyone know the difference between "your" and you're" ?! How about there, their, and they're? Than and then? Affect and effect? It's rampant among my age group and younger, although I'm quite surprised at how many older people are ignorant to their own language as well. It's not quite what I had in mind when I started this thread, but it is a trend...and I don't get it!

The guys at work make sport of me quite often for my seemingly random and vast knowledge, but it's simply from paying attention and retaining what I've seen. Who's the guy they always ask when they don't know how to spell something...I'll give you one guess :huggy:

I agree 100% here. This is one of my pet peeves as well. I can't even put my finger on where it seems to be worst, but it is pseudo-generational. I say that it's pseudo-generational because even though I see it more rampant in my step-daughters (and ESPECIALLY their friends and boyfriends), my wife is a horrible speller and doesn't always use proper grammar. She graduated pretty high in her high school class and now has the equivalent of a Master's Degree in Occupational Therapy. Me on the other hand, graduated with a 2.65 g.p.a. from high school and have a Bachelor's Degree from Michigan State in Advertising. The difference - she went to a public school and I went to a Catholic college preparatory school. Basically, they focus on learning the material, not just getting by for a test.

I'm now a stay-at-home dad for several reasons. The first of which is the expense of day care versus my earning potential places the break-even point for my income at about $15 an hour. I know I'm not worth much more than that on the market today (especially in Lexington NC), so I stay home. Also, I get to teach my kids instead of someone who I really don't know filling their heads. We get to do all sorts of fun stuff and I'm currently teaching my 4 year old to read. By the time she enters Kindergarten in the fall, she will know how to read. She can already write the alphabet in upper case.

What scares me is that we have a gal from School Readiness come by about twice a month to do activities with them both and we got to talking about home schooling. She is a big advocate of it, but she has seen some scary stuff in that regard. One family that she works with is home schooling, but the mother (the teacher) doesn't know how to read herself. I just don't know how that is going to help that child. I'm usually not the smartest guy in the room, but I know where my limitations are.

Hurley: there's a local guy that has an 05 Dodge, almost like yours, it's a 2500 short bed, factory rims, etc. However, his giveaway is the cab bars, lexan rear window, and a 31x18.50 rear tire on those widened stock rear rims. Then you look in the "bed" and see a battery on each side, fuel cell in the center, and huge wheel tubs :D He says 850+ hp, 92 lbs of boost, and an average of 26 mpg. Gawd, I love diesels!

There are some guys at the OBX who have some of the fastest diesels in NC, no doubt.

amen.

Here's something else I don't get.... poor spelling and grammar. Doesn't anyone know the difference between "your" and you're" ?! How about there, their, and they're? Than and then? Affect and effect? It's rampant among my age group and younger, although I'm quite surprised at how many older people are ignorant to their own language as well. It's not quite what I had in mind when I started this thread, but it is a trend...and I don't get it

this!

And, when, people just can't, seem to use commas, correctly.

I think that one drives me more crazy than anything else.

this!

And, when, people just can't, seem to use commas, correctly.

I think that one drives me more crazy than anything else.
I no, what your saying.

Comma use vs. a semicolon can be a bit of a bear at times. I'm kind of OCD about spelling and the like. I'll open a new tab and Google something if I'm not sure about the spelling or correct usage! I try to act like I've got some sense :D

There, their,and they're are a huge downfall of mine I guess ill just quit communicating via the written word.I only have a 6th grade education so what do you expect.isn't there something else more important to complain about

aimg.tapatalk.com_d_13_05_16_6udu5y4e.jpg

"It is a thousand times better to have common sense without an education than to have an education without common sense"
I don't like the trend of judging others, or complaining!

And I like my flat bills!

What do you guys think of HID headlights?

I'll jump I have 37 inch tires on a dd f250 with 8 inches of lift and pull a 30 foot in closed toy hauler, then again I get yelled at for trying to wheel it.lol
2012-09-25_08-46-37_856-1.jpg
20130316_114201.jpg

I don't think I'm complaining. Just observational criticism :flipoff2: Hell, a few of the smartest people I know never finished school....and made a damn good living!

Something else I don't get.....

Search Craigslist. Look at a 99-02 Silverado. It could be a 1500 or 2500, doesn't matter. Perhaps it's rusted all to pieces, bone stock, and has 298,000 miles on it, they're still going to ask 9500 bucks for it! Never fails, it'll say: "Priced 1500 below KBB! Won't last long as this price!"

I know they hold their value quite well, but really?! That was just an example, but I see it everywhere. It's certainly not contained to Craigslist or that particular make and model.

I think the spellin and other proper grammer will only get worse for the new generations in the age of texting, says the guy who can't spell but types great run on sentences.

I'll jump I have 37 inch tires on a dd f250 with 8 inches of lift and pull a 30 foot in closed toy hauler

Go find some 285s and put them on there. You'll be amazed at how much stronger it pulls. I'm serious.

Didnt mean to sound like I was calling you out CK.

I love fart cans on cars!

You only missed break and brake. I hate reading ads on CL for stuff that has "new breaks".

Back