What have you done for your health today?

Picked up a new piece for my home gym. Hopefully with a little cleaning and a new cable she’ll have many more years of service. I’m looking forward to adding some cable exercises to the routine.

IMG_8940.jpeg

About to list my Bowflex selectable dumbbells and a flat bench. :p

I've tried. Really.

But my butt has started going back to the gym again. I really don't socialize at all in the gym, but I like the atmosphere.

Oh who am I kidding, I like picking up bigger weights than other people. That's the real reason.

(If you ain't gonna be better than others, why bother?)

And as for today? I grilled about 8lbs of chicken after marinating in Zesty Italian Dressing. Mmm. So good. Make you want to slap yo momma.

I led the F3 workout yesterday and this morning (2 different locations), so I used the same workout both mornings.

3/4 mile run
100 atomic crunches
200 pushups
300 squats
3/4 mile run

Then repeat the following until time is called (45 minutes total):
20 atomic crunches
run 100 ft
10 pushups
run back to the start

Alright, 50th birthday and new job that has me even more sedentary than before. As if that wasn't bad enough. the ole extended gut is showing it's ugly head and my energy levels are crap. I already eat fairly well, just need to get off my ass.

Day 3 of the following self made regiment.

Turn on Vikings show on Netflix
10 min on the treadmill at 4mph (max speed on little under bed storage treadmill)
2 sets of 25 Sit ups
5 sets of 10 push ups
3 sets of 20 standing leg lifts
3 sets of 20 swinging planks (planking with a rocking left to right of the hips)
3 sets of 30 seconds bicycles
3 sets of 30 ... I don't know what you call its, but in an up push up position alternate hands touching opposite shoulder.
cool down with 5 min on Treadmill at 4mph

I take about 20-30 seconds between and it's about 35-40 min total.

now to make it a habit.

Alright, 50th birthday and new job that has me even more sedentary than before. As if that wasn't bad enough. the ole extended gut is showing it's ugly head and my energy levels are crap. I already eat fairly well, just need to get off my ass.

10 min on the treadmill at 4mph (max speed on little under bed storage treadmill)
2 sets of 25 Sit ups
5 sets of 10 push ups
3 sets of 20 swinging planks (planking with a rocking left to right of the hips)
3 sets of 30 ... I don't know what you call its, but in an up push up position alternate hands touching opposite shoulder.

now to make it a habit.
That’s a good one.
The exercise you didn’t know the name of, at F3 we call those shoulder taps.

I’ve been dealing with neck pain for many years of my life from an old injury. Recently I recognized that it seemed to get particularly flared up for about 2-3 days after a heavy back workout. For many years my typical back workout consisted of 3 or 4 exercises and doing 3 or 4 sets of each exercise. I would pick 3 or 4 from the following list; wide grip pull-ups, chin-ups, mid-grip pull-ups, dumbbell rows, 2 different grip positions on a back/row machine, and lat pull down machine with various bars/handles. About 2 months ago I decided to try something different, and it has helped my neck pain.

New workout done 2 to 3 times each week:
  • 4 sets of chest
  • 4 sets of back
  • 4 sets of front delts
  • 4 sets of side delts
  • 4 sets of rear delts
  • 4 sets of biceps
  • 4 sets of triceps
  • 1 or 2 sets of back hyperextension or heavy dumbbell lift
  • 1 or 2 sets of abs

I pick one exercise for each of the above, then pick a different one for the next workout, and again a different one after that before finally rotating back to the original ones. I alternate that workout with doing cardio on the other days, so I typically do the above weight program Mon, Wed, and Fri and then do cardio Tue and Thurs, while also getting more cardio on Sat and/or Sun. Sometimes I don't get all that done due to work/life.

So far my neck pain has been reduced. I’ve also tweaked my diet a little and got good definition in my core. My weight is hovering between 196-200 lbs. I use to be in the 205-210 lb range. I was a little stronger, and a little bigger, but my abs were not quite as visible.

Chose not to buy anymore cigarettes last night. Smoked my last one this morning around 6am. I grabbed some nicotine pouches to try and help curb the cravings while I kick the physical and mental habit of smoking. Plan to stop them once I stop reaching in my pocket to grab my smokes out of habit.

I used to be a 2 pack a day smoker and I quit cold turkey for 6 years. Made a stupid choice and started back during a rough patch of life back around 2014. I was up to about 2.5 packs a day and am just tired of it.

Told my boss and my employees this morning, that I may be a little irritable for a couple weeks, but please bare with me.

Pooped real hard. Also challenged myself last weekend to lose 20 pounds in the 2 weeks before we go to the beach. Main change has been eating less (not getting seconds) drinking water instead of Pepsi and sweet tea, and just being super dang busy and active at work and home, I went from 215 last Sunday to 203 today.

It also helps when you have days like this.
1717851650448.png

Nearly 7hrs with heart rate above 100 and burned over 6000 calories. And to think...I took a day off of work so I could rest and relax. :laughing:

Last edited:

2 sets of 25 Sit ups
5 sets of 10 push ups

now to make it a habit.

Call it 2.5 weeks in. I’m fairly consistent and at the point that I kinda get annoyed if I miss a day. I have also increased the regiment slightly.

10 min walk
3 sets of 20 sit ups
5 sets of 10 push ups
4 sets of 25 leg lifts
4 sets of 25 swing plank
4 sets 25 bicycles
4 set 25 shoulder taps
10 min walk

All with 10 deep breaths between each set. Timed at 45 min. Today.

The thing that hurts the most is my quadriceps on the sit ups. They fucking burn by the last set.

But overall, feeling better.

The thing that hurts the most is my quadriceps on the sit ups. They fucking burn by the last set.

But overall, feeling better.
Good on ya, keep it up!

Sounds like adding some stretching/mobility work to your routine could help with the thigh pain, which may be more of a hip flexor thing than a quad thing. Stretch them while you're already on the floor for sit ups by either doing glute bridges or 'lotus' position stretches. You could also maybe try sit ups with one leg straight, switching sides of course, which will keep you from using your hip flexors to help pull your torso forward.

Back