What have you done for your health today?

I'm blowing off steam due to some BS here at work today. So I have a few to write a somewhat lengthy post.
I love when members like @Ron post scientific responses to good questions. Be it about health, car stuff, building codes, etc. Many other members do the same.

Then there's rednecks like me that occasionally use big words o_O

Here goes:
From April 2016 until Fall 2018 I kept it very real. Ate clean most of the time, stayed active, encouraged others to do the same. Dropped from around 280 to 210. Maintained 220 for a long, long time.
Then, some life crap happened. We moved, dealt with some stress professionally, winter was cold, blah, blah, blah. Turned around and I had let myself gain back about 25#. Unacceptable.
I was grabbing lunch with work colleagues, getting a Bojangles biscuit on the way to work, getting snacks at gas stations after eating poorly throughout the day. All the while, not exercising. It's no wonder the weight crept back up.
So what did I do about it? I re-read my old FB posts from 2016 when I made a lifestyle change. I remembered what I had told others and I remembered that I was stronger than my food addiction. Single ingredient, REAL food, get off my ass and hike, ride my mountain bike, walk the dogs after work, no going out to eat, no sweets, no BS. 4 weeks in and 13# down by simply cutting out the crap and moving more than I sit.

Cliffs: eat well, move more, take care of yourself.

@Jody Treadway
Keep it up, bud!

Whether you know it or not you are one of a couple of major catalysts to start making me try to get in a shape other than round.
Late December of last year I had seen a photo of myself that made me get on a scale...and I saw that 318 number. That number bothered me for about a week but I was only half committed to doing anything about it.

You called me late December I think just to shoot the shit and catch up and asked 'So what ya up to?'
As I am known to do I joked "About 318 last time I looked at the scale."
You said something to the effect of 'Man you are a big boy and dont need me preaching at ya but thats getting in that danger range. Live your life but think about getting older.'

Then you posted this thread and ...well.

BTW for those playing along at home.
Lane and I left home on 6/8 for the power tour trip. I was 260.8. For 7 solid days I ate whatever the hell I wanted. Pizza 2x. An italian pasta dish. Ice cream at some old assed roadside ice cream stand in Indiana. Drank some high quality Bourbon in Kentucky. Had some more in Indiana. Had some beer a couple nights. Even split a bag of peanut butter m&ms with my son because...then ent out for a huge gut stuffing for Fathers day.

So Monday Morning I climbed back on the scale.
266.6...on one hand Only 6 lbs gained in 7 days of excess...in contrast I'd gained back 10% of my loss to date. Staring at the infamous 666 I had a choice. Throw down and say fawk a diet or climb on the saddle.
So I buckled back into my 2x S&E ways. This morning I was 260.6...back to my pre-trip weight.

The week break actually seemed to kick start my metabolism a bit and has me feeling great. There may well be something to that whole G-Flux stuff....

@Ron those fluctuations happen. It's life. That eating pattern wasn't your "normal" pattern and it showed on the scale. BUT since you have been consistent with your diet/exercise, you were able to drop back down almost immediately. Consistency in clean eating will make up for a couple of slipups along the way.

Wife and I are back on another cut. The first cut I went on I went from 235 to about 205. That lasted January to March. We took 2 months off and went on "maintenance" eating. Only thing that really changed was the quantity of food eaten. We still ate clean etc. I was able to stay between 200-205 by doing this. This is my new normal. As long as my diet and exercise stays roughly the same, I dont have to worry too much about what I eat(in moderation). Monday was the first day of our cut and I weighed 204.4. This morning I was at 199.4(lowest I've been yet!). I'm hoping to get around 185-190 but realize that this second cut will be much harder than the first(in terms of weight loss). I don't want to lose any muscle mass in the process so I have to keep my protein intake higher, while limiting my carbs/fats. Should be fun and DOABLE. Just takes a little willpower. The wife is wanting to drop from roughly 165 to about 145-150. She lost 13lbs last time we cut so she knows what she needs to do.

@Ron

I've been fairly steady on losing weight. If I stall, I'll have a cheat day and it kicks it right back off.

I'm good with my sugar level, personally. I'd like to see what my insulin levels are like though so I can see if I need to do anything with it. Pretty much any time I check it, I'm between 90 and 110.

I'm pretty good about fat intake. Steaks, bacon, sour cream, cheeses, and sometimes I'll make some fat bombs. My gf always wants to cook chicken and when she does, I'll add fatty stuff to it. That's my favorite part :D

If I eat too many carbs, I've gotta find a toilet...like...now...and then I legitimately need a nap. It knocks me down pretty hard.

Also, started 20 Jan 19 at 247.5 and as of 15 Jun 19 I was down a solid 40 lbs to 207.5. I ONLY changed what I eat and as a result I also changed the quantity and frequency. I think I'm going to shoot for 185-190.

I don't really plan to go back to bread, taters, or other stuff like that. It all makes me feel like total garbage.

Last edited:
@Ron

I've been fairly steady on losing weight. If I stall, I'll have a cheat day and it kicks it right back off.

I'm good with my sugar level, personally. I'd like to see what my insulin levels are like though so I can see if I need to do anything with it. Pretty much any time I check it, I'm between 90 and 110.

I'm pretty good about fat intake. Steaks, bacon, sour cream, cheeses, and sometimes I'll make some fat bombs. My gf always wants to cook chicken and when she does, I'll add fatty stuff to it. That's my favorite part :D

If I eat too many carbs, I've gotta find a toilet...like...now...and then I legitimately need a nap. It knocks me down pretty hard.

Also, started 20 Jan 19 at 247.5 and as of 15 Jun 19 I was down a solid 40 lbs to 207.5. I ONLY changed what I eat and as a result I also changed the quantity and frequency. I think I'm going to shoot for 185-190.

I don't really plan to go back to bread, taters, or other stuff like that. It all makes me feel like total garbage.

You one sexy bitch.
Just sayin'

Great job buddy! Keep it up

Thanks for noticing. If you ever meet me, I'll be sure to be reserved so you're not overwhelmed :D

Today was fun. We worked on strict pullups today. I was able to do one weighted pullup at 85lbs and then hit 10 strict in a row(previous max was 9). Then did 3 sets of 7 pullups.

The WOD was "Grace". 30 clean and jerks for time at 135lbs. The last time I did this I finished plus 6 minutes at 95 lbs. Today I did it in 3:44 at 135lbs so a huge gain for me.

IMG_20190622_220111_173.jpg

Hit a split jerk at 225. Then did the following

8 thrusters at 115lbs
8 burpee box jumps
8 cal row

rest 2 mins, repeat 5x. Just about made me puke.

Finished in 16:33

Late to the party here, 10-15 years ago I used to be a runner, somewhere along the path that stopped, bad eating habits and lack of real exercise kicked in.
In late March the mrs. signed us up for a 5k....I averaged just under a 10:00 min mile. Been working on running a little here and there, really started taking it seriously the last few months.
Sunday I ran 4 miles with an average 7:55/mile and the last two at 7:40/mile.
Been doing interval running to up my cardio and speed.

Long term goal is a half marathon in early fall and to run just 1 mile in 6:00 even. I am still a big guy, me running that fast must look like a dump truck with the brake lines cut.....you don't know why it is going that fast, but you know it shouldn't be!

Yesterday was a real grinder.

7 rounds:
400 m run
75' 100lb Dball carry
7 100lb dball over the shoulder.

Finished in 30:11.

Today is finding a 3 rep max front squat, followed by 10 mins on an assault bike for calories.:lol:

We climbed, climbed more and then, climbed even more. Didn't have to stop once. I've finally got my legs back and my cardio condition is improving rapidly.
Great day riding Pisgah today. Had a stereotypical Mtn biker yell out "watch out, that trail's real chunky, but fun"
Made me think of @Loganwayne
Screenshot_20190629-173940.png

Stating Weight -318.2 (12/27)
Last Week - Been a long time since I checked in
This week -254.8
Total loss: 63.4 lbs

Still chugging along

I haven't posted in this thread in a while, but I am still on the same workout plan. I was about 201.5 lbs when this thread was started. I did a very slow mild bulk for 4 months (New Years through mid-late April). I gained 8 lbs and peaked at 209.8 lbs. Along the way I lied to myself and convinced myself that at least half of it was muscle knowing that some fat gain is necessary to build muscle. When I got to 209.8 lbs, I didn't like how I looked or felt (I enjoy having a lean 6 pack of abs). I adjusted my food intake and started a slow cut from late April and am down to 198.4 lbs as of this past weekend. The reality is that after 5.5 yrs of lifting, I have pretty much hit my genetic limit. I'm thinking about continuing the slow cut as an experiment on how lean I can get before I really start to lose strength.

Happy July 1st - a new month/quarter/fiscal year!

I've still been plugging along working out 3 days/week. Our bootcamp programming has transitioned more towards crossfit the past couple of weeks & I've loved all the lifting! Made it to 185lbs for deadlifts tonight - I was stoked but my hands took a beating :eek:

After turning the whole30 into the whole60, I broke down yesterday & ate a cupcake. Decided it wasn't worth feeling like :poop: so it's now back to the plan.

We wanted ice cream last night. Lisa rode like 30 miles on her road bike and I killed it all day working on the yard
Instead, we made our own with frozen bananas, unsweetened almond milk, blueberries and spices.
Was delicious and virtually no guilt.
Small battles win the war

Today was a lot of fun.

Hit 225 for a single for an Overhead squat. My previous best was 185 so thats a huge jump.

Then we did Diane 21-15-9 of deadlifts(225) and hand stand pushups. Took me 11:56. Absolutely destroyed me. But I finished and I did it as prescribed(no scaled weight/movements etc).

Been holding steady around the 198 mark with a low of 197.7. Started my second cut this week so looking to get down around 185-190.

I came here to brag about my 8 min/ mile pace I got the other day but some dude above me crushed my participation trophy with 7 min mile talk.

But that’s the best I’ve run since, ever. So. ..

Saw 186 on the scale the other day with my pants on.

Threw around 165 for a Hang Snatch/ Power Snatch/ Triple Overhead Squat complex.

Hot chick at the gym commented that she could see my abs when I was lifting. So yes, I do win fitness for the day.

Edit: I write this 3 PBRs deep. Not because it’s vacation time. Just because Wednesday. Fitness is fun and all, but don’t forget the subtle joys in life.

Back