What have you done for your health today?

@jankoid be sure to go get some good running shoes.....I like REI or fleet feet for buying shoes......being a bigger guy myself, I can tell you, your shoes probably won't make the regular 500 mile mark before needing to be replaced.
Keep up the good work, take it slow (google the running 10% rule), and don't rely 100% on the treadmill or you will never actually enjoy running.

@jankoid be sure to go get some good running shoes.....I like REI or fleet feet for buying shoes......being a bigger guy myself, I can tell you, your shoes probably won't make the regular 500 mile mark before needing to be replaced.
Keep up the good work, take it slow (google the running 10% rule), and don't rely 100% on the treadmill or you will never actually enjoy running.

I have an expensive pair of New Balance running shoes that were given to me. Seem to fit me pretty well. I ran about a mile last night and my feet weren't sore at all today. I know a mile isn't much but it is to me. We all gotta start somewhere.

sounds good, just an FYI, your feet will be the last thing that will be sore: hips, knees, lower back, and worst case shin splints are key factors that will tell you your shoes are either an incorrect match for your foot strike or are worn out.

Running on a treadmill, within a reasonable pace and distance should almost never leave you sore the next day, if you start getting pains, look into new shoes.

Not one ...but two 20 mile hard enduro races at the TKO on saturday. 98 degrees, full gear , racing through the Tenn. mountains. Never thought my old ass would hold up for both races.

67934254_10219743922016402_1689517594534477824_n.jpg

Not one ...but two 20 mile hard enduro races at the TKO on saturday. 98 degrees, full gear , racing through the Tenn. mountains. Never thought my old ass would hold up for both races.

View attachment 301149

Man, that is borderline crazy. Do you do anything special to prepare for something like that? Drink special fluids etc?

Once I got up the nerve to open the thread, I really like the positive content.
Have read some of it, but not all yet. I am finally jumping in on this. Being fat is getting old, like me and I just need to bite the bullet and start watching what I eat and drink. Since I will be reducing my carb intake drastically, Beer is going to be the hardest thing to let go. It is my craving once the clock hits 5pm. That and the evening snacks, ice cream, brownies, cookies, ect . I don't drink pop or energy drinks and now I have dropped the coffee and creamer in morning, went to water. Now it is water all day and evening with one beer while fixing dinner. The weekends will be super tuff cause as soon as I head to the shop it is beer thirty. Or hanging out at the lake on the boat, well you know. Going to try hard. Started Monday and still on track.( two days! LOL ) Currently 226, goal is 199. Hopefully there will be a lb or two drop at the end of week one.
Cheers :beer:...uh I mean stay tuned :cool:

beer is probably the number one thing to drop from your diet to help shed some pounds....it is a tough first 3 days to a week.....after that it isn't that big of a deal, I can attest that waking up early and working out is considerably easier without the lingering taste of Clydesdale piss in my mouth from the night before.

Keep up the motivation, check in here often!

Man, that is borderline crazy. Do you do anything special to prepare for something like that? Drink special fluids etc?
I drank nothing but water for a month before, about 2 gallons a day. I rode UNF a few times a week in the heat, primarily up and down Daniel. My pre-race cocktail was 4 ibuprofen (pain), a pint of pickle juice (cramping), and a few squirts of Afrin (breathing). Yes, at 49 it may be borderline crazy , but damn satisfying when complete.

Ive been on the train for about 6 months now, better diet, more regular gym trips and the results are I'm 5'11 went from 197 to 158 now i built some muscle back to 165. Im 9 days in the 75 hard challenge
IMG_20190820_203847_600.jpg

Update...Week one of the low carb diet is in the books and working on week two now. Was not real bad, but I still have the craving for more beer...lol. Now I need to try and work on some new low carb meals for a variety. End of week one, weight 220, down 6 pounds, 21 more to reach my goal. I am sure the following weeks will not be as much, but good start. Also once I get my shoulder pain straighten out, I am going to start exercising again. That should help as well too.

Once I got up the nerve to open the thread, I really like the positive content.
Have read some of it, but not all yet. I am finally jumping in on this. Being fat is getting old, like me and I just need to bite the bullet and start watching what I eat and drink. Since I will be reducing my carb intake drastically, Beer is going to be the hardest thing to let go. It is my craving once the clock hits 5pm. That and the evening snacks, ice cream, brownies, cookies, ect . I don't drink pop or energy drinks and now I have dropped the coffee and creamer in morning, went to water. Now it is water all day and evening with one beer while fixing dinner. The weekends will be super tuff cause as soon as I head to the shop it is beer thirty. Or hanging out at the lake on the boat, well you know. Going to try hard. Started Monday and still on track.( two days! LOL ) Currently 226, goal is 199. Hopefully there will be a lb or two drop at the end of week one.
Cheers :beer:...uh I mean stay tuned :cool:

I quit drinking about 3.5 yrs ago. The 5 o'clock craving was really tough. It took 3 months for it to go away.

To recap:
201.5 lbs on Jan 1st
209.8 lbs by late April
191.2 lbs this morning

The strength loss is very real and also depressing. I'm probably going to flip the switch after Labor Day Weekend.

Still doing my thing here. Eating clean, riding a ton and staying very active.
In the last 3 rides, I'm consistently bettering my times from previous rides. I'm focusing on climbs as opposed to downhills for the sake of fitness
Gonna break 100 miles of good trails again this month.
Should be under 225 any day now
Screenshot_20190827-222315.png
Screenshot_20190827-222240.png
Screenshot_20190827-222230.png

Been a while since posting in this thread. Mostly because of my own disappointment and lack of actual doing anything good for my body.

I did sign up for the Boston Triathlon earlier this month and had been doing “some” training. Mostly that consisted of a daily bike ride for about 10 miles after work. No swimming and about 2, 4 mile runs. Did the triathlon but could really tell I slacked off on training. Weight had crept up and my lack of prep caught up to me. But, I finished.

Now I’m back getting into the swing of healthy clean eating and training. Ran 6 trail miles today. Going to keep it up as regular as I can. I have a 50k in March I need to survive. :)

The mrs' and I have as spartan race coming up in Oct. For those unfamiliar with these obstacle races, if you can't complete an obstacle, you have to do 30 burpees....we started a daily regiment of Burpees on 9/1.
1st week = 40 daily
2nd week = 60 daily
3rd week = 80 daily
last week = 100 daily.

We opted for a slow build up to avoid the burnout and fatigue that comes with the typical "100 daily" of most monthly challenges.
3 days deep....crazy how many muscles get sore from such a basic body movement.

The mrs' and I have as spartan race coming up in Oct. For those unfamiliar with these obstacle races, if you can't complete an obstacle, you have to do 30 burpees....we started a daily regiment of Burpees on 9/1.
1st week = 40 daily
2nd week = 60 daily
3rd week = 80 daily
last week = 100 daily.

We opted for a slow build up to avoid the burnout and fatigue that comes with the typical "100 daily" of most monthly challenges.
3 days deep....crazy how many muscles get sore from such a basic body movement.

Enjoy it. I’ve done a few and really enjoyed them.

My biggest recommendation: while old running shoes “work”, OCR specific shoes are your best friend. You will struggle less in the mud and lessen the chance of injury from slipping and sliding and falling all over the place in the mud. I use inov8 and Solomon and really like both.

We have done a couple of these already, all done in old shoes....and every time we come to the realization that it was a bad idea.....I can never get up the motivation to spend real money on shoes that I will destroy in a couple of hours.
There is something satisfying about throwing all of your clothes and shoes in the trash as you leave the event.

We have done a couple of these already, all done in old shoes....and every time we come to the realization that it was a bad idea.....I can never get up the motivation to spend real money on shoes that I will destroy in a couple of hours.
There is something satisfying about throwing all of your clothes and shoes in the trash as you leave the event.

I’ve used mine for quite a few races. They are the x talon 200 from 2015, so they have lasted several years and show little wear. They wash up real well, nearly as good as new aside from a few scratches.

I watch everyone struggle with old random shoes and every time I see it, it reminds me there is no comparison to having good equipment. My wife was hesitant with spending a few $ for her, but after we did and she ran some with me, she was thankful; she saw a lot of others struggling with old shoes as well.

Either way, have fun! And enjoy.

Which spartan race?

I'm running the Reebok Spartan shoes. They have held up really well and offer great grip on all the obstacles and the water runs out of them easily. They clean up great too. We ran the Trifecta in them last year with no issues.

Doing the race oytaide of Charlottesville VA toward the end of Oct.
I will look into some of those shoes, are they any good for basic trail runs too?

Day 4 of burpees is in the bag, had to be in Durham by 7am today, the 4:30 alarm was earlier than I would have liked, but my daily routine is intact.

I have avoided this thread like the plague. Im healthy, but its mostly due to genes I guess. Have always been active, but never worked out. Me and the wife had slacked from our walking since life got crazy and were only getting out once a week, and I could tell. Well, Im changing that. Yesterday I bought some running shoes (cheap saucony ones, but they beat the heck out of my work boots which I had been running in) and I got up at 0500 this morning for a jog. Jogged/ran 1.75 miles with a .25 mile cool down at the end of the road, then jogged with a lot more walking the 1.75 miles back. Followed that with 25 pushups and a croissant washed down with Gatorade. Then showered and off to work. What a difference not running in work boots makes!

As an incentive, if I get hired at WSFD, I will get myself a legit set of running shoes.

f44ae7586bf8e01a5fa33275e6910786.jpg

Last edited:
Doing the race oytaide of Charlottesville VA toward the end of Oct.
I will look into some of those shoes, are they any good for basic trail runs too?

Day 4 of burpees is in the bag, had to be in Durham by 7am today, the 4:30 alarm was earlier than I would have liked, but my daily routine is intact.

I don’t know that I’d use OCR shoes for trail runs. Most of the OCR shoes I’ve used have large lugs to grip in the mud and less cushion than a running shoe. I run the inov8 Roclite for trail running; it’s a good balance between an aggressive OCR shoe and road shoe and has some good protection and support from rocks, roots, etc.

I have a trail run specific shoe, OCR shoe, road running shoe, etc. They can, and I sometimes do use them for road and Trail running, but try not to. I certainly wouldn’t use the OCR shoe on the road, it feels like running on the road with cleats on :( . But the trail running shoe could be used for everything with reasonable results. If you want to limit your purchases, I’d go with a good quality trail running shoe. It’s kind of an all terrain shoe versus the highway tread or mud tread you’d see with the others.

image.jpg
Breaking trend

I am still at it.
Week two was not a great week with the three day weekend spent at the lake. Although we ate right, there was more beverages drank than we had planned on. Lost 2 lbs which overall was a big win.
Week three has been better, down 3 more lbs.
Start-226 Current- 215. 16 more to goal one!

Back