What have you done for your health today?

I wasn't a few years back, but my then GF was putting a Vit D pill in with my stuff and it shows up as an over abundance of calcium and the doc freaked out.

Now I'm deficienct. Go figure.

Must've been a calcium + vit. D, which a lot of women take bc we need both and the vit. D helps with the absorption of the calcium. Get a supplement like this one, if you haven't already been prescribed something.

Honestly, the way I looked at it…get up at 6, instead of 8…allows time for the morning workout. Lunch time work out, I’d usually go grab fast food or sit in my car…if I can do that, I can be active. Get home around 7, if I have time be sedentary, I have time I can be active. And the plan is to incorporate the family, so there’s no guilt about not spending time with them. My 3yo and 5yo were pumped about the workout this morning and jogging with daddy around the neighborhood. Really, when I broke it down, I figured if I had time to waste, I had time to be active. That’s the structure I was missing. Sure I stay up until 2am most nights…but doing what? Scrolling NC4X4 and my emails…I can do that from a bike. If I go to bed by midnight, I’m getting the same amount of sleep as before, but I’ll get a workout in before everyone else wakes up. I hear ya loud and clear, and I may fail miserably again, but the structure and control is key for me, and I never really had a plan, nor did I really have the right mindset…I was usually looking for a way out of doing it, instead of how I should be doing it. Also doesn’t hurt that I’m financially vested at this point too…and I hate wasting money. Really, this go round, I’m eliminating any excuse I’ve had before…so if I blow it, I can’t feel warm and fuzzy about blaming work or my family or not having the right diet or the right equipment…failure is on me now, and I hate failing more than I like succeeding.

I know, I know, laugh if you want…but 3 full days in, I’m feeling amazing and borderline ‘addicted’ to the routine. Foods that I always detested and resented eating before, because I’m a grown man and will eat whatever I want, are going down great and satiating. The 3 workouts have turned in to 4…I get an extra cardio/strength session after the kids go to bed. Not sure how long I can keep at it like this (only thing stopping me is mindset), but it all feels so good…and really it’s just cleaner and leaner eating, as well as finding ways to be active in times when I’d usually just sit. Down 6lbs over that 3 days…I’m sure most of it is water (but am drinking a gallon per day) and clearing out the gut…but it’s progress. The only bad part has been, I didn’t realize how embarrassingly bad my endurance and strength had become. But I think I’m even seeing improvement there in such a short time (couldn’t really get any worse, I guess). Going on vacation for 10 days and bringing the mobile gym along to make sure I don’t have any excuses there either.

Forgot to mention...

My doc put me on Adderall. So far, it's been mostly fantastic. I can focus and have a normal conversation without interrupting someone before I forget what I was going to say. I fall asleep basically as soon as I close my eyes.

Inversely, when I'm in a bad mood...that's all I can focus on, but I'll make myself do something so at least I'm productive while trying to shake the feelings.

She did tell me the labs showed a Vitamin D deficiency, so I need to get some supplements.

I had her check my testosterone too. Just under the bottom end of the range for my age group. I told her I felt like it was low and I was right. She told me she didn't have any desire to put me on any treatment for that, but I feel like it would help with my overall mood.

I'm going to quit drinking too. It generally makes the sadness much, much worse and I don't need that. Plus, I have CRS bad enough as it is.
You know, When I drink, I usually get in a pretty good mood and things don't seem to bother me as bad, which is probably why I did it so often. The next day, I just hated the way that I felt and how much I relied on it. Anytime I was supposed to meet friends or any type of social gatherings, I always felt like I had to pregame before I went.

You know, When I drink, I usually get in a pretty good mood and things don't seem to bother me as bad, which is probably why I did it so often. The next day, I just hated the way that I felt and how much I relied on it. Anytime I was supposed to meet friends or any type of social gatherings, I always felt like I had to pregame before I went.

When you stop drinking you get the constant answer from people "why aren't you drinking?"

The best answers to give are:
Why aren't you married?
Why aren't you pregnant yet?
Why did your parents choose to keep you?

When they look at you confused, just let them know its none of your damn business, just like those questions :)

Most annoying thing of not drinking, is all the questions about not drinking by freaking everybody.

Not that this is anything super major but I have only had 2 beers in 5 weeks. I realized that I was drinking to help with my anxiety and realized that it was only temporarily masking it. I decided that I wanted to at least stop drinking just because and decided that I would only drink on occasion for a special occasion. I never drank a lot but it was the frequency in which I drank that bothered me.
I quite drinking several years ago. I don't miss it at all.

Same with me. I started scaling back my drinking now about 7 years ago, slowly I drank less and less and I felt better and better the less I drank.
Now I maybe have 1 drink every 2-3 months, and don't miss it at all.

Plus the money savings is pretty huge when you add it up.

When you stop drinking you get the constant answer from people "why aren't you drinking?"

The best answers to give are:
Why aren't you married?
Why aren't you pregnant yet?
Why did your parents choose to keep you?

When they look at you confused, just let them know its none of your damn business, just like those questions :)

Most annoying thing of not drinking, is all the questions about not drinking by freaking everybody.

Old people at weddings always tell me "you're next!". So...I might start doing the same to them at funerals 🤷‍♂️

And yes, always weird questions when you don't drink. I never ask anyone that though. My dad was an alcoholic and it eventually (more like FINALLY) killed him. Thankfully, I don't have an addictive personality...unless it's towards truck parts 😅

You know... it was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. I would quit in the past for a week and then id cave in and thought that it was going to be a struggle to really scale back, but I think the reality of it hit me and its been ok so far. Don't really crave it honestly at this point.

You know... it was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. I would quit in the past for a week and then id cave in and thought that it was going to be a struggle to really scale back, but I think the reality of it hit me and its been ok so far. Don't really crave it honestly at this point.
I quit probably 5 years ago. I craved a few beers HARD at 5pm, and that craving lasted about 3 months, then it just completely disappeared. It was weird.

I quit probably 5 years ago. I craved a few beers HARD at 5pm, and that craving lasted about 3 months, then it just completely disappeared. It was weird.
Yeah, After work has been the hardest for me so far. My father in law and brother in law both have an issue with drinking and naturally my wife sort of has that gene as well. She went out Friday night and was quickly reminded of another reason why I slowed WAY down.

Lots of humans are D deficient. I've been on 50mcg daily for a couple years and it did wonders for mood, energy, and sleep.
same here, I blew it off at first and the doctor could tell I didn't think it was a big deal. So he gave me a bottle and said just try it see if you feel a difference. Definitely made me feel better, when I didn't even realize I was feeling bad.

I've only been taking it for a few days and have started feeling better.

Now if I could just get some testosterone...

I wanted to inform you all that I volunteered for the Russian COVID-19 vaccine trials. I received my first shot yesterday evening after work, and so far there has been иo side effects whatsoeveя, and that I feelshκι χoρoshό я чувствую себя немного странно и я думаю, что вытащил ослиные уши.

To anyone that has quit drinking or slowed down dramatically, is it possible that a rise in my irritation level and being short with folks in the last couple of weeks be a result from this?

No idea and definitely no judgement, but if you're just very aware of your state of mind then it's probably a contributing factor. Stress, lack of sufficient sleep, and dehydration can also contribute.

To anyone that has quit drinking or slowed down dramatically, is it possible that a rise in my irritation level and being short with folks in the last couple of weeks be a result from this?
It has been several years or so since I quit (5 years?). I don't remember going through an irritability phase, but everyone is different. I would recommend getting out and exercising. Go for a bike ride or walk after work with or without your family. Exercise releases chemicals that help you. Or try exercising before work too.

Last edited:

It's mostly that people are effing annoying...

It has been several years or so since I quit (5 years?). I don't remember going through an irritability phase, but everyone is different. I would recommend getting out and exercising. Go for a bike ride or walk after work with or without your family. Exercise releases chemicals that help you. Or try exercising before work too.
Yeah, I was on a good run for a couple weeks with working out and the family going on walks and then we all got covid and haven't gotten back into that routine yet, but that stops today. Wife has also gotten on board with not drinking anymore, and we had a long talk last night about how we need to make some changes in our lifestyle sooner rather than later.

I'm sure you are right, but I got called out a work for the first time ever for being short with people. Wife has also noticed it.

Did you tell any of them to stop being effing annoying? :D

It's not like you were dependent on it and going through DTs or anything, but I guess quitting anything can make somebody irritable.

Oddly enough, I gave up caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol on the same day. I don't feel the least bit different as far as my mood or mannerisms are concerned.

I think the key is being an asshole to start with 🤔

Back