What have you done for your health today?

Turkey Pen Gap loop in Pisgah today.
That rounded out a pretty solid month of singletrack fun.
IMG_20220731_184647.jpg
Screenshot_20220731-184548.png

Y'all muhfuggas know how to make a dude feel lazy :laughing:

I'd put my power tower together in the basement a while back. I've hit a plateau on the pushups for some stupid reason, but keep making gains with the pullups. Over 2020-2021, I for some stupid reason had lost like 35 pounds. Was getting worried something might be wrong. Spring of '21 til now, I've been a bit more active....getting out and walking my hood when I can. Put back on the weight that I lost, so now I'm back where I started. That, plus getting up to ~35 pullups and 80-100 pushups per night (depending on where I burn out) have been helping. Need to start getting in some cardio, now that I feel like it might not kill me.

Y'all muhfuggas know how to make a dude feel lazy :laughing:

I'd put my power tower together in the basement a while back. I've hit a plateau on the pushups for some stupid reason, but keep making gains with the pullups. Over 2020-2021, I for some stupid reason had lost like 35 pounds. Was getting worried something might be wrong. Spring of '21 til now, I've been a bit more active....getting out and walking my hood when I can. Put back on the weight that I lost, so now I'm back where I started. That, plus getting up to ~35 pullups and 80-100 pushups per night (depending on where I burn out) have been helping. Need to start getting in some cardio, now that I feel like it might not kill me.

I go through ups and downs of being active, looking at this thread honestly helps me stay accountable and actually do something to get off my lazy ass.
Making time for "me" to do this stuff is the hardest thing for me vs all the other stuff I need to be doing.

I go through ups and downs of being active, looking at this thread honestly helps me stay accountable and actually do something to get off my lazy ass.
Making time for "me" to do this stuff is the hardest thing for me vs all the other stuff I need to be doing.
Nothing to add but quoted fo troof! lol. That's the biggest hurdle for me, too. Trying to find the time. Usually ends up being somewhere between 11 p.m. and midnight. So sacrificing some sleep. Double edged sword, I guess.

Since my pancreas tried to kill me back in April, I've been focused on getting back on track. Wife picked up a peloton and I've been exclusively using it as my main source of cardio/exercise. I've also cut out all alcohol for the time being. At the hospital I was 235+, as of this morning I'm at 203. I've completely changed my diet and have been focused on quality foods and lots of portion control(which was always my biggest issue). I'm getting at least 1.5 gals of water per day and have cut out most sugars from my diet. Once the girls get a tad bigger, I'm planning on getting back to weightlifting/crossfit style workouts but right now its difficult to squeeze an hour in the garage gym vs 45m-1hr on the peloton. I've also dusted off the Trek mountain bike and have been falling back in love with it.

Since my pancreas tried to kill me back in April, I've been focused on getting back on track. Wife picked up a peloton and I've been exclusively using it as my main source of cardio/exercise. I've also cut out all alcohol for the time being. At the hospital I was 235+, as of this morning I'm at 203. I've completely changed my diet and have been focused on quality foods and lots of portion control(which was always my biggest issue). I'm getting at least 1.5 gals of water per day and have cut out most sugars from my diet. Once the girls get a tad bigger, I'm planning on getting back to weightlifting/crossfit style workouts but right now its difficult to squeeze an hour in the garage gym vs 45m-1hr on the peloton. I've also dusted off the Trek mountain bike and have been falling back in love with it.

who needs a working pancreas anyways! I haven't had a working one in 25 years now. I'm loving being on the mtb again also, and jody will hate me for it, but probably going to get a trek fuel exe next year.

I have found that getting up early and working out is the solution for me. If I don't do it first thing in the morning, or at lunch, then the chances of me working out that day drop dramatically. Everyone's situation is different though. During the school year, the evenings are always busy helping my son with homework, then after that I am too tired. Even on the weekends, if I don't do it first thing, then the chances of doing it drop as we get busy with our day.

I have found that getting up early and working out is the solution for me. If I don't do it first thing in the morning, or at lunch, then the chances of me working out that day drop dramatically. Everyone's situation is different though. During the school year, the evenings are always busy helping my son with homework, then after that I am too tired. Even on the weekends, if I don't do it first thing, then the chances of doing it drop as we get busy with our day.
THIS!!!
This is why I get up and workout at 0530 5-6 days a week with F3. I won’t do it on my own and I damn sure won’t do it after work. It’s free, and it’s a great group of guys that make you want to show up. It’s as good for me mentally as it is physically. And when I’m on the road for vacation or work, I just search for the local F3 group, show up, and it’s like I’m one of them.

Mid-cut check-in. As suspected, Joe is kicking my ass. He's dropped 20+lbs just with adjustments to nutrition. I'm down 3. 😑

In other news, after 4+ months of being on iron supplements, I had my labs rechecked. There's some improvement but still anemic so I have to continue with supplements for awhile.

I probably said it in this thread before, but I am finding it easier to workout in the morning now also, since I work later in the day with the new job. It has been easier though this summer with the kid not going to school, so we will see how it goes once school starts but I try to be out on a trail at 7am so I am back at home by 9am and showered and working. For my body it is also easier to work out early I am finding out because I'm T1D, and working out with any insulin on board makes blood sugars crash hard.

Mid-cut check-in. As suspected, Joe is kicking my ass. He's dropped 20+lbs just with adjustments to nutrition. I'm down 3. 😑

In other news, after 4+ months of being on iron supplements, I had my labs rechecked. There's some improvement but still anemic so I have to continue with supplements for awhile.

Any progress is good! Don't get discouraged by comparing yourself to others. I know you already know that though.

Checked out the Williamson Preserve mtb trails near Wendell this morning. Super fun and we did 5-7 miles? Google fit doesn't always record bike rides well, so not sure.

Edit: According to the website, it was closer to 9.2 miles.

Last edited:

Good luck on the iron route.
That very path led to Lin having surgery last month. Rough recovery but noticeable improvements in 2.5 weeks. They culdnt keep her hemoglobulin (spelled wrong im sure) above 5.8 even with weekly IV iron infusions...and of course the iron supplements are hell on the rest of your system

Good luck on the iron route.
That very path led to Lin having surgery last month. Rough recovery but noticeable improvements in 2.5 weeks. They culdnt keep her hemoglobulin (spelled wrong im sure) above 5.8 even with weekly IV iron infusions...and of course the iron supplements are hell on the rest of your system
Hoping she has a full recovery! The iron supplements have been rough. I knew the potential side effect(s) but underestimated the impact it would have on me. I've been miserable & didn't realize I'd miss pooping 😂 (sorry guys, I know TMI).

Since the 24 Hours of Booty ride was fun I decided to sign up for a 50k ride at the end of the month (they offer a 100k and a 50 mile version as well but I'll be huffing enough as it is on the shorter one).
Figure I should probably get some training rides in so snuck a quick hour of riding while the family was at the grocery store.

Since the 24 Hours of Booty ride was fun I decided to sign up for a 50k ride at the end of the month (they offer a 100k and a 50 mile version as well but I'll be huffing enough as it is on the shorter one).
Figure I should probably get some training rides in so snuck a quick hour of riding while the family was at the grocery store.
Dang let me know next time if you want a rider to join you on your training rides.
We need to find another ride to do this Fall, helps with motivation.

Not for today but put it on your calendar, whether you're in Raleigh or not. August 28th, 2022 and/or September 3, 2022

Crossfit Invoke Crankarm Ned Day 8-28-22.PNGRoll for Ned.PNG

Started taking a multi vitamin a could of weeks ago. Started a daily workout plan that fits my schedule... started feeling good, helped me get a lot of my frustration and stress out. Then.... got Covid. Felt bad for about 3 days, but then the lost taste/smell kicked in which has been fantastic! : ) I've been swabbing the inside of my nose with peppermint essential oil, which has seemed to help a little, I guess as I can smell some things and taste some things, but its all just out of whack. but the fatigue.... I just can't shake it. Sleep for 8 hours but I feel like I only slept for 1hr. The actual symptoms during the first week weren't terrible, its the after affects for me. The wife has continuous body aches.

Back