What have you done to your rig today?

fbfe70d949a8c48828b0300ec924b021.jpg

Just a turbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turns out the leak was caused by me not rechecking the boats on my diff cover, it leaked about a quart out, so that was an easy repair. I also cut out the crossmember where the stock shocks and gas tank mount so I can drop the back end down a couple inches and still not hit the body. I had a close call (or three) at the last little bit when it would hang down and pinch on the cutoff wheel.
28126520c7c5154ecdf985995afaa42e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Put a lqk bedliner in the tow pig/firewood/dead animal hauler.....not bad for $35, got the tailgate liner but might wait to put it on.

20190918_180332.jpg

Last edited:
When at Harlan, I was having a rotational noise. Checking everything, diff fluid way down, didn't have but a QT,(Borrowed) and still way low, so it got some 10W40 engine oil. Figured some lube better than no lube. Cracked opened the diff cover today to check it. BTW first time doing this on mine, and found that gear oil, and engine oil, do not mix, or if it does, it separates, soooo Anyway, we checked the gears, and bearings, no sign of anything out of the ordinary.
Super joints had already been greased and eliminated as the source of the noise. So, I jacked it up, put it on jack stands(while still on my trailer), I took didn't like the look of what I saw, as soon as I got the cap off the hub. Started taking it apart, very dry, lots of dust/grit, all the things you do not wanna see. Got to the last nut that goes up against the bearing, and, it was fubared. It had split. I took a screwdriver and put in the crack, and it opened up and came out fine. Outer bearing, looks like it never had grease! (I know it did) Long story short, it will need bearings inner and outer, new seals, new(different) spindle(threads messed up) And new spindle bearings. They we in there, just in a lot smaller pieces!
So tomorrow will be getting new parts to put it all back together.
The good news, in all the bearings I had in a bag, dated 1998, I did find a new outer bearing and bearing cup, so, that saves me a little money.
70906417_237283770557042_8462437877932883968_n.jpg
70988186_360554724888605_4097106970241138688_n.jpg
71145229_2484579811775985_963269677394427904_n.jpg

Last edited:
When at Harlan, I was having a rotational noise. Checking everything, diff fluid way down, didn't have but a QT,(Borrowed) and still way low, so it got some 10W40 engine oil. Figured some lube better than no lube. Cracked opened the diff cover today to check it. BTW first time doing this on mine, and found that gear oil, and engine oil, do not mix, or if it does, it separates, soooo Anyway, we checked the gears, and bearings, no sign of anything out of the ordinary.
Super joints had already been greased and eliminated as the source of the noise. So, I jacked it up, put it on jack stands(while still on my trailer), I took didn't like the look of what I saw, as soon as I got the cap off the hub. Started taking it apart, very dry, lots of dust/grit, all the things you do not wanna see. Got to the last nut that goes up against the bearing, and, it was fubared. It had split. I took a screwdriver and put in the crack, and it opened up and came out fine. Outer bearing, looks like it never had grease! (I know it did) Long story short, it will need bearings inner and outer, new seals, new(different) spindle(threads messed up) And new spindle bearings. They we in there, just in a lot smaller pieces!
The good news, in all the bearings I had in a bag, dated 1998, I did find a new outer bearing and bearing cup, so, that saves me a little money.
View attachment 302978 View attachment 302979 View attachment 302980

Better now than off the trailer at Dixie Run.

Change that spindle bearing to a uhmw bushing. Never have to worry about it again.

Drilled and tapped my steering box, plumbed up the assist cylinder and drilled out the orifice on the pump. Rewired the taillights, added a couple of marker lights and put in an electronic flasher for the led turns. I hope to post a trail pic of this rag in the near future...

Not for my rig, but I snagged this hardtop for @ramjo today for a smoking deal. One of the rare times I've paid full asking price for a Craigslist item before seeing it in person.

View attachment 303028

I think that makes up for not snagging me that Mickey Thompson classic lock spare I found a while back.....now if you just don't sell it before I can come get :D

Well, long story here, the sage continues

I got all the new bearings in, everything back together. Except the tires(was waiting on my muscle before I got them on. Still had the diff cover to put back on. Got the housing all cleaned up as well as the diff cover. Put the Grey RTV on the cover, set up 4 bolts to hang it on...…………………………………………………..And then I saw it. 2 teeth were broke off my ring gear! So, out comes my spare I had bought from @Jody Treadway. Had to pull the knuckles off both sides to get the axles out. Now waiting @josh$$ to go get some brake parts cleaner and some red lock tight to put on the ring gear bolts.

MAYBE, it will be back together this evening!

Back