YATFR: The science of wood

Accountability is the magic word...

any building inspector will approve a well built truss with stamped engineered drawings

FIFY, I don't know any inspectors that have authority to approve a site built truss without some stamped papers. They always ask for truss papers...No arguments about strength from me.....we have an old store building built in the '40s that have stick frame trusses that clear span 30'. The ridge is as straight as the day it was built.

don't know any inspectors that have authority to approve a site built truss without some stamped papers.
True not sure on their "authority" lol but I always knew them to pretty much do and say what they want.
Don't know I wasn't the contractor but I'm sure they were somehow properly approved lol

There should be a stamped set of plans on site. Hand built rafters will be detailed with all bracing and fastener schedules.

There should be a stamped set of plans on site. Hand built rafters will be detailed with all bracing and fastener schedules.
I'm sure there was. Very highly doubtful every log home we done was getting anything approved un-professionally or as a favor lol

Are you wanting to build your own trusses? Sorry don’t have time to wade threw all this shit. If so don’t I can provide pictures from when a contractor tried to cut corners and build his own trusses. Sure it took 20 years before they started to fail, but they could have just as easily collapsed when the church was full killing 300ish people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you wanting to build your own trusses? Sorry don’t have time to wade threw all this shit. If so don’t I can provide pictures from when a contractor tried to cut corners and build his own trusses. Sure it took 20 years before they started to fail, but they could have just as easily collapsed when the church was full killing 300ish people.

I'll save you some reading. He already did, to save money. No engineering stamp, to save money.

I'll save you some reading. He already did, to save money. No engineering stamp, to save money.

You don’t have to buy trusses. Plenty of homes are still built with stick built roofs. Trusses are faster and easier but they aren’t the end all be all. But building a truss yourself is just stupid

You don’t have to buy trusses. Plenty of homes are still built with stick built roofs. Trusses are faster and easier but they aren’t the end all be all. But building a truss yourself is just stupid

Haha if you can't that's cool. Building a roof trusses or a roof system period is way easier than building a rock crawler to put in perspective. Don't dog something just cause you can't homie

b8b21036f68139754b3b32bbf149b4c6.jpg

Haha if you can't that's cool. Building a roof trusses or a roof system period is way easier than building a rock crawler to put in perspective. Don't dog something just cause you can't homie
Do you know the difference between a rafter and a truss

Serious question truss, or rafter did you size it for its span? Do you own a code book? I’d put 5 dollars you don’t and you don’t know what a span chart is. Whatever it is you built what size of materials did you use? I can’t check your span till after new years but I bet @shawn has a code book laying around somewhere

Edit: just because you passed inspection doesn’t mean it was done correctly. Inspectors have certain things each one will look for and if it is done then they are happy. I’ve never seen an inspector come out with a code book and start double checking code on a job site, although that may differ in bigger cities

Serious question truss, or rafter did you size it for its span? Do you own a code book? I’d put 5 dollars you don’t and you don’t know what a span chart is. Whatever it is you built what size of materials did you use? I can’t check your span till after new years but I bet @shawn has a code book laying around somewhere

Edit: just because you passed inspection doesn’t mean it was done correctly. Inspectors have certain things each one will look for and if it is done then they are happy. I’ve never seen an inspector come out with a code book and start double checking code on a job site, although that may differ in bigger cities

Blah blah blah blah blah bruh I can out build you in construction any day any size garage in half the time you could just design a worthy truss...

Blah blah blah blah blah bruh I can out build you in construction any day any size garage in half the time you could just design a worthy truss...
I’m surprised you haven’t said you can out fabricate @mcutler in quality, creativity, design, and time since you’re the man! If you’re so damn good at everything you do why aren’t you able to name your price and have employers lined up wanting you to work for them @marty79 ? IMHO you need to humble yourself and realize that the show will go on without you no matter what you do for your boss. At one time in my career I was indispensable and got shit done that others could not and then I figured out that it was not just me but the crew that I was lucky enough to have working for me at that particular time.

I’m surprised you haven’t said you can out fabricate @mcutler in quality, creativity, design, and time since you’re the man! If
I'm not out fabricating anybody..but some random dude calling me out that I don't know my building trusses and garages/homes is little downgrading and cheap talk. All these internet trolls talking smack all the time yet I'd bet my years income they can't dish out half the junk they spew. I ain't the best but I know what Im dam good at and nothing wrong with taking pride in what I know I'm good at unlike a lot of the work force out there.

If you’re so damn good at everything you do why aren’t you able to name your price and have employers lined up wanting you to work for them @
Cause most employers are too cheap and greedy and don't want to pay good hard worker what they deserve...but I guess that's just me too right

Back