1930's Farmhouse Rebuild - phase ll

About the same time the floors were done, my father-in-law was finishing up the base cabinets. My wife had given him a few pictures, told him a few details and he did the rest.

Roger is a cabinet building ninja. And now I'm sad I don't have cabinet making skills or carpenter skills.

Thanks, that was the best solution I could come up with. I think the wide gap (~ 13") worked in my favor to soften the blow of totally different floor species and size in that close proximity.

Roger is a cabinet building ninja. And now I'm sad I don't have cabinet making skills or carpenter skills.

Don't worry grasshopper, I have studied from the master. I have learned his ways, and now I will charge you ridiculous amount to teach you what I know....:massey:.....no pocket holes here. He's old school.

KIMG0308.jpg

I didn't have a paying gig to go today, so I figured I would do a little work on the house. I had been hoping to be on a job with a brake to bend up a few pieces of flashing so I could run some siding on my dormer and I finally got that done yesterday. I got lucky and it was overcast most of the day so it wasn't to brutal on the roof.

Started with this today....

KIMG0415.jpg

And ended up with this

KIMG0422.jpg

It still needs another coat of paint but its almost done.

Also saw this while I was up there. Anybody ever seen shingles do this before? It was only on hip/ridge shingles.

KIMG0420.jpg

Blister rash. Manufacturers mostly say it's a cosmetic defect but over time, the granules wear off faster and create wear craters.

Call the manufacturer and see if it's warrantied. I doubt it is but it might be. So long as you document the issue and contact them, if there is an issue later you'll have the record of the notification.

They will definitely be hearing from me. The roof is definitely not a place I want to settle with "cosmetic defects".

Here are some more pics of the cabinets almost done..... I think this is the only one of the uppers i took. When I get this thread up to speed I might go back and do a finished run through of fresh pics. The cabinet over the range had to be reworked because it was way to low to start with.

IMG_1384.JPG

Reworked and not in the way now

IMG_1490.jpg

IMG_1354.JPG

IMG_1371.jpg

So I figured I better start to ball rolling on finishing up my window sills so I can get some things the insurance company said I need to get done or else :rolleyes:.....I might have added the or else part.

I emailed @trailhugger and @shawn buddy David from Old Castle to get a little info ,a quote, and maybe some samples of the cast stone I could look at. He must have thought I was semi local and offered to bring me some. After I told him I was located near Asheville, he said he would get a colleague that works the Asheville area to get some samples to me. I give him my address and he emails me back to say that the guy that works this area is from Marion and actually lives on the same road I do about a mile away! It turns out I know him (first name only) but I never knew what he did for a living. The internet is a useful tool to help connect you with the people that live on the same road that you do :lol:....

So now I got a few sample for my wife to look through to see what she thinks about it.

KIMG0427.jpg

Natural white. Natural. Can't remember
KIMG0429.jpg

Trying to decide if I need to try to match these concrete caps.....

Been to busy to post anything up lately...but this should get it pretty much up to date with all the pictures I have.

Wife wanted 3 panel craftsman style doors so I searched around to find some I liked. I wanted a solid core door with no profile on the rails and stiles. I'm not that good at internet searching but I found some that fit what I was looking that weren't super expensive (solid wood door prices :eek:) A friend did get me some quotes for some solid doors from one of his Amish furniture suppliers that was about the same but I had already ordered these. I think these will be a little more dimensionally stable plus they came primed so thats a plus.

IMG_1308.jpg

IMG_1318.jpg

Pocket door for the closet in our temporary master bedroom.

IMG_1454.jpg

I wasn't able to do my own tile work due to time constraints, but they did ok......could have been better in some spots. I used some tumble brick for the mud room/ wash room. It was about 15/16th inch thick with leveled out nice with the wood floor transition.

IMG_1437.jpg

Hard to get a good pic in a small bathroom....

IMG_1570.jpg

My favorite....Dining room ceiling. The wife wanted nice and pretty wood, but me and her best friend talked her into some barn wood. This came off one of my barns. I hit it with a wire brush to knock off some of the horse poop and a light sanding to knock a little of the rough off.

IMG_1519.JPG

My favorite....Dining room ceiling. The wife wanted nice and pretty wood, but me and her best friend talked her into some barn wood. This came off one of my barns. I hit it with a wire brush to knock off some of the horse poop and a light sanding to knock a little of the rough off.

View attachment 226065

Is that a wrapped beam or solid?

House is looking sweet.

Is that a wrapped beam or solid?

House is looking sweet.

Thanks! It's just wrapped. Although I did see some 8x8s sills under the barn in a few places that I will dig out eventually.

My wood supply :cool: . Lots of good oak. Most of the wood that I used on the beams came off of interior wall. I wish it could have been a little more weathered grey though

KIMG0219.jpg

This was my tic tac toe framing

0429151515.jpg

Right after the wire brush and a light sanding

KIMG0213.jpg

4x12 carrera marble pieces on the sides of the curb, the top was 1.5" x 6" marble too. It was leftover scraps the countertop guy had at his shop

I had some free time yesterday so I decided to do some flooring on the second floor. Patched the subfloor over the chimney in master closet.

KIMG0486.jpg

KIMG0487.jpg

KIMG0489.jpg

KIMG0500.jpg

Also started patching in where a closet used to be in another bedroom.

Chiseled out the short pieces and using the toothless Porter Wagner to get the rest.

KIMG0502.jpg

KIMG0503.jpg

KIMG0504.jpg

Last edited:
Got my cast stone sills delivered. Anybody have recommendations on how to make straight/clean cuts? I'm going to get someone else to put them in, just wondering on the best way to trim them.

KIMG0506.jpg

KIMG0507.jpg

Crosscuts, to trim to length?

Concrete saw, brick/block saw, or a chop saw with a diamond blade. Chop saw might not like it as much as something more optimized for concrete cutting. Something with a diamond blade. Cast stone is just a concrete-based product I'm pretty sure, so anything that can cut concrete with aggregate should work.

Are those about 3.5-4 inches thick?

Always see people cutting them with a quickie saw

Crosscuts, to trim to length?

Concrete saw, brick/block saw, or a chop saw with a diamond blade. Chop saw might not like it as much as something more optimized for concrete cutting. Something with a diamond blade. Cast stone is just a concrete-based product I'm pretty sure, so anything that can cut concrete with aggregate should work.

Are those about 3.5-4 inches thick?

Yea, I need to trim 6" off of them. They are 4" thick in the back,3" at the front. I've cut block and brick with a skill saw and diamond blade before, just didn't know the preferred method for cutting this stuff.

Always see people cutting them with a quickie saw

That's what I figured they would use...I guess a man that uses one a lot could make a cleaner/straighter cut than I could with one.

No updates or improvements to speak of except for digging up a few stumps. I had a small regret for patching the floor above the chimney today. I had a thought that I could have shimmied down in it with some red pants and black boots on and let my little boy see them on Christmas Eve. :lol:.

Effect_20161213_181423.jpg

This has been our sleeping spot in the living room for the past 3 nights....I think it might be until Christmas is over :).

Not much happening on the house. I hope to get window sills in sometime this year :(. Probably have to find a new insurance company because I don't foresee getting what they want done anytime soon.....

Me and dad have been taking turns digging up stumps when we had some free time. I would say there were probably 30 or so in this area, all fairly good sized. Still about half that many left around the house to get as well.

KIMG0685.jpg

KIMG0696.jpg

KIMG0694.jpg

KIMG0697.jpg

KIMG0695.jpg

Don't know what stump grinding costs these days but Looks like the backhoe and dozer are paying for themselves. Y'all got it looking good out by the hibachi

@ramjo is that a Komatsu D21?

Back