'85 Xtra Cab Build

Outsourcing :shaking:

Outsourcing :shaking:

In-sourced the replacement. Thanks to Budbuilt for straightening and sleeving the tie rod for me. Shouldn't have any issues now. Got the steering back together today, hopefully fixed the charging issue I was having and re-did the stereo. Ready to go for the upcoming Harlan trips.

Just need to get some light brackets from Napa and get my tail lights mounted if I get the time.

Just need to get some light brackets from Napa and get my tail lights mounted if I get the time.

this should be read as "yeah im just gonna duct tape them on"

ready for some gangsta rap kicking from that thing at harlan. llol where did you find subs?

this should be read as "yeah im just gonna duct tape them on"
ready for some gangsta rap kicking from that thing at harlan. llol where did you find subs?

Nah...didn't get to it today. The tail light wiring is fawked so Im gonna start from scratch.

Shep is actually good for something. He had an old 10" sub in a box sitting in the basement.

Been working on this thing a little bit more over the last week. Had some issues at the Flats with my twin sticks...the 2wd/4wd shifter broke off. Went to bump it into 2wd and the shifter flew into the floorboard. Well Marlin is (1)Out of stock and (2) Wouldn't warranty it so we improvised...

aimg850.imageshack.us_img850_9435_22625285429704999829704.jpg

Works perfect now.

Did some wiring in order to get the pile "street Legal" well for Boone at least.
aimg38.imageshack.us_img38_1821_23031985429527355829704.jpg

aimg15.imageshack.us_img15_9760_23004285471709821829704.jpg

Left room for another light...probably clear to use as a reverse light. Since cops around here love to pull people over for not having properly working license plate lights I put one on and made sure it lit up the whole plate.

Then...Shenanigans

aimg197.imageshack.us_img197_161_23076185463730312829704.jpg

It cruises around town with zero death wobble so far. Ive got an air bubble in my steering still so that will get worked out. Other small things, welded the front bumper to the frame and braced some things up that looked like weak spots after I broke the frame at Harlan. Re-welded the chain to the motor mount to remove some slack it had.

Thanks man.

Did some wheel/tire trading and got these 38" TSL's on aluminum wheels...going to get a new groover and go to town. Probably TN/Aetna cutting them since two of the tires are down to the wear bars.

aimg40.imageshack.us_img40_6316_25273786041722012829704.jpg

Corbeau Baja SS's will be here today. Cant wait to actually ride in some comfort. The factory 85 seats just dont cut it.

I've got a groover, you buy the blades and you can borrow it. Take the slack out of those front brake lines!

I've got a groover, you buy the blades and you can borrow it. Take the slack out of those front brake lines!

I can get you cheap beer from work........you'll need it to grove those tires

what is it about a beat toyota that gets my horses runnin. does that cage go to the front of the cab to? if so, do you have any in cab pics?

what is it about a beat toyota that gets my horses runnin. does that cage go to the front of the cab to? if so, do you have any in cab pics?

That part of the cage will be finished up in a week or so and I will take some shots of it then.

Got bored and polished up the wheels. Then wheelnc62cj and I got cracking on making the seat frame/trans tunnel for the new Corbeau Baja SS seats (best investment ever).

Bling
aimg809.imageshack.us_img809_7573_073pd.jpg

Trans Tunnel/Seat Frames
aimg830.imageshack.us_img830_6827_076gs.jpg

Adam doing some welding and FarmChild in the background playing with a bb gun...standard.
aimg200.imageshack.us_img200_7664_077nd.jpg

Lookin' sweet doodie bear. FarmAnimal is doing some real work. Toter looks good on the 38s.

Lookin' sweet doodie bear. FarmAnimal is doing some real work. Toter looks good on the 38s.

You know he has to save all of his creative genius for that race CAR!

Got the transmission tunnel and Seat mounts done over the last couple of nights. Much cleaner interior now. Also stopped in at Red Baron in Hickory across from the speedway and picked up a steering wheel/hub/disconnect so I can get in and out easier once we finish the cage. Its nice to have that uncomfortable, ugly factory wheel gone.

Trans Tunnel...Rear section between the seats is now covered by a sheet of aluminum donated by the Town of Boone.
aimg708.imageshack.us_img708_6875_img0204nv.jpg

Finished up with the steering wheel in place.
aimg31.imageshack.us_img31_6006_img0205ex.jpg

Thanks to wheelnc62cj for the help making the tunnel and seat frames and to FarmChild for drinking lots of Bud Light tallboys and telling us how we should do things. :beer:

Got to wheel a good bit at the Farm. Love the 38's, just need to groove them. The side lugs grip way better than my Iroks but the center of the tires are like drag slicks. The seats made it way more comfortable to beat on the truck and not get beat to death in return. Some more work with the "Toyota Firewall Tool" and it should be good to go.

Finally started putting this thing back together after I broke another knuckle at Mtn. City. Let it sit while I moved houses/shops and got things in order to go back to school.

-TG Magnum Knuckle Studs
-ECGS Knuckle Rebuild Kit
-New to me radiator and resevoir
-Beat on the firewall with a 10lb sledge

Hoping to pick up some Hydro Assist to finish off the front end rebuild then give it a whompin'. These hill shoostin tires look cool with the TN cut but I wanna see how they really work. Broke the knuckle 15 minutes into the first trip after I cut them.

Dang, that sucks. Pics of broke knuckle? How did it fail? I'm not familiar with the weak points of the Yota knuckles other than the steering arms studs of course.

I wanna see the tires! And I have never broken a Toyota knuckle running crossover(double arm) with a Budbuilt tie rod in the stock position..less leverage up high against the studs. I have never even had an interest in high steer for this reason.

dang i broke a set a long time ago i went back with the arp studs.... only other thing i wanted to do was the trunion bearing replacement my be worth looking into?

The Trunnion bearing elim kit will go in if I ever have to rebuild these knuckles again. The bearings seem to be the only thing I really trash. Usually it's because I broke the studs and the knuckle shifts back and forth while limping it back to the trailer.

lets see those drag slicks

I'm sure it made a nice difference. I'm in the process of doing some 1 ton chevy TREs on mine with 1.5" OD, .25" wall tie rod/drag link after trashing my steering at DPG. I don't think I will need hydro assist, but it'll be nice to mash a tire into some rocks and then not have the front tires point towards each other :shaking:

Back