[Aug 24, 2012] "THE FLATS" FALL OPEN INVITE/TOY RUN Aug.24th-26th (MARION NC)

Im up for either.... Just need an air horn to signal start and finish and someone with a good stop watch.

Whats needed vehicle wise to get up the obstical? We talkin full tube buggy with 500hp or doable in a moderate trail rig

Not saying that a moderate built rig could not do it but I think it would be tough. One of our guys made it up without killing his too bad but it was a buggy and had 43 sx stickies. He has the perfect setup though! I will talk w/ everyone and see what would be best and most entertaining. Thanks for all you guys interest!!!

You could always set up another bounty a little easier for smaller rigs also. That way everyone can participate reguardless of their rig. Maybe a bounty for rigs with 40" tires and smaller

I think timed would be good, Even though I think you could easily count the finishers on one hand IMO If know one makes it, I also think it would be good to donate to the cause. Ill throw in some. For those that have never seen it, it aint NO :poop: Ive seen it attemped many times, but I have never seen it. done

For those that have never seen it, it aint NO :poop: Ive seen it attemped many times, but I have never seen it. done

Another Idea........ Since this is a toy run why not make a less difficult trail that more vehicles could attempt so that more money could be raised and all entry fees and proceeds go to charity....winner is just for bragging rights.

A rig on 38s or 40's isnt going to attempt a obstical that a rig on 46's and 500hp gets denied at, much less a rig on 35's.

sorry for all the ideas...im just trying to throw ideas out to generate interest and bring out the competitive side of rigs that cant compete with the "big boys" but still wanna have fun and in turn raise money for a good cause

Yea if 40"+ ain't doing it my 35s sure as hell can't lol

You never know what 1 motivated xj can do on a set of 35's. I had my exhaust manifold cherry red and never even got started up the main obstacle on 40" crawlers. I was a little skeered though, I aint going to lie

Another Idea........ Since this is a toy run why not make a less difficult trail that more vehicles could attempt so that more money could be raised and all entry fees and proceeds go to charity....winner is just for bragging rights.

A rig on 38s or 40's isnt going to attempt a obstical that a rig on 46's and 500hp gets denied at, much less a rig on 35's.

sorry for all the ideas...im just trying to throw ideas out to generate interest and bring out the competitive side of rigs that cant compete with the "big boys" but still wanna have fun and in turn raise money for a good cause
Jason Floyd has seen it done plenty. It has never been in the greatest conditions when I have seen it. There will be lots of competition for the Tank Trap, 40-42 will be plenty of tire im on 42s an deffinatly dont have 500hp an I will be on it.

im down for a 35 and under challenge $5 buy in kinda thing

How many people will be riding on Sunday? I hope to be there around 9 or so sunday morning. Do the toys need to be wrapped?

We are going to run the first challenge for the vehicles w/ 36" tires or smaller on Laurel Lane @ 3:00. That is a trail that a rig w/ 31's and locked can make it's just how hard and fast you want to go to win!
The 2nd challenge will be an open class and will run the trail "TANK TRAP" and it will start @ 4:30 or earlier if possible.
Both trails are within 5 minutes of one another so we will do Laurel Lane race first and then Tank Trap.
Both races will be timed. Winner will either have the fastest time or makes it the farthest.
$10 ENTRY FEE. Winners will get $100 per class from Rock Corps 4x4 Club that they will get to keep. The entry fees and donations for the race will be donated back to the charity in the winners name, So we will make sure and get your name in the paper and we will announce them on the forum so you will have your bragging rights posted up! So lets see what your made of and raise some money for needy kids at Christmas!!!
This just in...4 WHEEL PARTS OF CHARLOTTE will be donating 1 winch and some other items to the winners of the hillclimb challenge!!!

Last edited:
so is the challenge Saturday or Sunday?

Hi everyone, this will be my first time to The Flats. I have a few questions. If i bring a toy or toys (equal to 10$) does that cover the 10$ a rig, 10$ a person fee? and also if i camp overnight is there any wood to gather for a fire or should i bring my own? also 1 more lol, any restrooms or water faucets? i dont mind at all crappin in the woods..just trying to figure how much water to bring for washing face / hands / teeth brushing etc.

I'm guessing helmets are required for tank trap?if so I will bring one..really looking for this ride!! I need my 10mph fix oh wait I have more woopow now...lol

Looks like the weather is going to be perfect all weekend too. Can not wait. I may have to call in sick the rest of the week just to come up early. Drag link should be here tomorrow so am good to go on bringing the jeep.

There will be porta johns on site. No running water or power. There is plenty of wood on site. Toy or toys equals $10.

Is anybody camping Friday night 8/24/12? Thinking of camping but not sure!

Back