Bourbon

So local liquor store posted yesterday they had some bottles of Pappy Van Winkle. With a price. $1499. WTF? That shot is that expensive?

So local liquor store posted yesterday they had some bottles of Pappy Van Winkle. With a price. $1499. WTF? That shot is that expensive?
Which pappy?
That’s either expensive, a steal of a deal, or typical

I was going to share the image here but don’t see it. So I’m not sure which Pappy.

I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again…Pappy 10 and 12 year are trash. Not even great bottles to flip to someone that doesn’t know better at that price. If you buy 10 or 12yr to drink, you’re getting ripped off at $1499 and would probably break even at best if you tried to resell. For 15yr, that’s not a bad price…seems like most places are $2k plus on 15. 20yr is my favorite of the line up, but so ridiculously priced these days, I probably won’t own a bottle again. 23yr, I’ve only ever had 1oz pours, usually a $10k+ bottle, but personally 23yr bourbons tend to get too oak-y for me. 25yr…I’ve never even seen in the wild, but looks like a $20k+ bottle any time I see it listed.

I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again…Pappy 10 and 12 year are trash. Not even great bottles to flip to someone that doesn’t know better at that price. If you buy 10 or 12yr to drink, you’re getting ripped off at $1499 and would probably break even at best if you tried to resell. For 15yr, that’s not a bad price…seems like most places are $2k plus on 15. 20yr is my favorite of the line up, but so ridiculously priced these days, I probably won’t own a bottle again. 23yr, I’ve only ever had 1oz pours, usually a $10k+ bottle, but personally 23yr bourbons tend to get too oak-y for me. 25yr…I’ve never even seen in the wild, but looks like a $20k+ bottle any time I see it listed.
10 & 12 year go for 7-800 all day on some pages I’m on. I’ve had 10 & to me it’s a $200 bottle at most.
I’ve heard 15 & 20 are the best two. Never tried them though

It's meant to be drank. Otherwise your collecting bottles of colored water. Drink the good stuff with family and friends. I plan to.

Everytime i read this thread Im reminded how measly my collection is lol

Keep it that way...I bought one of my Grail bottles not long ago. One of the few I'd pay 4 digits for, and did. I got some great news, so my wife and I cracked the bottle open (with some close friends also celebrating). A 'sophisticated pallet' can tell a little difference, but it's not orders of magnitude better than your run of the mill $50-100 bottle on the ABC store shelf. Not sure what I was expecting, it was good, but also a reminder to stay in my lane.

Keep it that way...I bought one of my Grail bottles not long ago. One of the few I'd pay 4 digits for, and did. I got some great news, so my wife and I cracked the bottle open (with some close friends also celebrating).
Meant to tell you congrats on being approved for gender reassignment surgery. I know you said they typically turn down examples your size due to fear of regret, but I knew there was no turning back after what happened in the cabin last year 😘🥳

Meant to tell you congrats on being approved for gender reassignment surgery. I know you said they typically turn down examples your size due to fear of regret, but I knew there was no turning back after what happened in the cabin last year 😘🥳

My stage name is Sweet Pickles and it's all thanks to you.

Picked up something while I was working in Kentucky yesterday for the Groomsmen at my wedding that’s coming up in a few months.
0E15D214-3DDB-4CBB-BEE5-B657952E9524.jpeg

I picked up a bottle of Willet and a bottle of Woodford Reserve double oaked. Not sure what it is but I can drink that WR like it's water. It's super smooth and definitely oakey. I'm definitely buying another bottle of that and I suggest you do too.

I’ve got a couple double oaks …it’s a good solid drinker and cheap enough you don’t cringe if a friend dumps coke in it

Local ABC had some Peerless on the shelf. Haven’t had a bottle in a while, couldn’t remember why I haven’t bought more, since the flavor profile reads as something I’d like (rye content was a smidge high in the mash bill though), so I snagged one. Nose is fantastic, probably one of the smoothest cask strengths (111 proof) I’ve had. But tasting notes are weak…in my opinion flavor just needed to be heavier. Worst part is, the finish is pretty bitter. I assume weak flavor is due to only being aged for 4 years, and the bitter finish is a result of rye content. So back to the cabinet it goes. Not really worth the price point in my opinion.

00D216F9-B964-4178-B847-4B5C7C76C79A.jpeg

Local ABC had some Peerless on the shelf. Haven’t had a bottle in a while, couldn’t remember why I haven’t bought more, since the flavor profile reads as something I’d like (rye content was a smidge high in the mash bill though), so I snagged one. Nose is fantastic, probably one of the smoothest cask strengths (111 proof) I’ve had. But tasting notes are weak…in my opinion flavor just needed to be heavier. Worst part is, the finish is pretty bitter. I assume weak flavor is due to only being aged for 4 years, and the bitter finish is a result of rye content. So back to the cabinet it goes. Not really worth the price point in my opinion.

View attachment 394019
Have you tried the double Oaked version?
It’s much better IMO

I haven’t…first time I’ve seen this bottle locally, much less the double oak. But I have heard that a few times now, the double oak picks up where this one leaves off.
They were all over NC last month. Was still some in Western NC last week.

New store opened a mile from the house. Grand opening had some killer bottles! Scored a once in a lifetime bottle. Gotta love NC for getting stuff at retail.
75BEB72D-0B9F-4B2D-967F-0D4F016749CA.jpeg
C0CEEC72-2ACC-40A9-818A-713FB0294799.jpeg

Last edited:
Back