Bronco #2 The wheeler

Ordered James Duff Extended Radius arms a spartan locker for the front and a spool for the rear. Now the wait for packages to arrive begins. Hoping I can knock all this out in the next few months. Alot of overtime at work coming up which is good for $$$ but eats into my shop times so we will see how it all plays out. Helped my buddy with gearing a 70HD for his K5 this weekend. Hoping to finish it up this coming weekend and then we will be working on our friends bronco to get it ready for gulches with an efi swap/rewire.

Any tips for drilling knuckles/pitman arm out for tapered inserts for the TRO swap?
I’ve had decent luck with the spiral step bits, but gotta watch the RPMs so it doesn’t work harden. But really any HSS bit can do it.

I’ve had decent luck with the spiral step bits, but gotta watch the RPMs so it doesn’t work harden. But really any HSS bit can do it.
I’ve seen some get it done with the cheap large drill bits from HF, so hoping between that and a step bit, taking my time and using plenty of cutting fluid, it will go by easily.

They make taper bits (not the Christmas tree step bits) specifically for doing taper bores for TRE’s. Just have to know your degree of angle of dangle.
I’m swapping to TRO at the same time so I want to drill them out for the inserts vs having an hourglass cut into the knuckles.

image.jpg

This is the style step bit I’m referring too, but be picky on the inserts. Some require an odd ball hole size, but when using a tapered reamer take some finesse and slow RPM. They have a tendency to chatter when you get them spinning too fast and will mess up the taper, which I believe is 1.5 in 1 foot. Barnes4wd is where I got my last one. Ideally reaming them on a Bridgeport is the best way, but for DIY at home, drilling through and using those tapered inserts works just as well. I’ve used them a good bit to convert stuff and fix wallowed out holes.

image.jpg

I do believe snap on quit making them but like I said Barnes4wd I think Carrie’s rhem and the inserts if you went that route

View attachment 420180

This is the style step bit I’m referring too, but be picky on the inserts. Some require an odd ball hole size, but when using a tapered reamer take some finesse and slow RPM. They have a tendency to chatter when you get them spinning too fast and will mess up the taper, which I believe is 1.5 in 1 foot. Barnes4wd is where I got my last one. Ideally reaming them on a Bridgeport is the best way, but for DIY at home, drilling through and using those tapered inserts works just as well. I’ve used them a good bit to convert stuff and fix wallowed out holes.
I got the ruffstuff inserts and the high angle insert for the pitman arm. The knuckles have to be drilled to 7/8” and I have a step bit for that. The pitman arm one is weld in and hole needs to be 1”. I may end up taking that one to be drilled out at a machine shop if I don’t have the right sized bit.

FWIW, you may be hard pressed to get a machine shop to touch it telling them what it’s for. Just specify you need that hole drilled out to 1” and that insert welded. They don’t like making/modifying things for vehicles because of liability reasons.

Back