Building a Shop on a budget...(My Shop Project Build)

BRUISER

silent.. but deadly
Well it has come time to stop paying money to someone else to have a shop away from the house...
Right now I have a 30x30 shop that I rent and it is about 15 mins from my house but I have decided that I want to be closer to the house and have all my tools close at hand...

The bad news I have a very limited budget due to wedding this Sept and Jess wanting to due a bunch of work inside house..

So here is what I have come up with..

The Plan:
Cut down trees in backyard (13 Pines coming out)
Tear out concrete parking pad to make driveway to shop area
sell shed and get it taken out of backyard (June 10th it is going away)
level backyard
pour concrete pad and then build building..

This may take me a few months to get done but hey I like build up threads so why not document it

Here was the 1st step in the process
I bought a metal building..
Good News: it is 26'x36' with 10'6" doorways and 13'6" roof line
Bad news: it was totally assembled and I had to go take it down and bring it to my house..
So I got 4 buddies and sunday we went up to location and dissassemled it and brought it back to my house on my trailer.
Took 5 guys, 24 Gatorades, 20 bottles water and 5.5hrs from start to finish..
NOt a bad day
Here are some pics of it on trailer back at my house
shop 065.jpg

shop 066.jpg

Damn, I bet that WAS a ton of work... Looking forward to seeing the progress!

just a thought or two... i assume no home owner rules...but are you in a city/zoning? Just double check before you put it up and a neighbor complains you are running a "business/garage" in your backyard and they think it is ugly or whatever!

I am sure you did though, just thought I would mention it for the heck of it...and yes I am very jealous, your garage is about the size of my entire backyard on my massive 1/3 acre lot in my vinyl village! :D (And that is with me getting the coveted corner lot!)

Looks like you had the "pros" drop the trees? A ton easier than the 20 I dropped a month & a half ago! Was sweating bullets the entire time! Are they gonna fall where I think? Are they gonna wipe out the house/shed/heighbors house/shed? Is this rickity fawking snorkel lift I rented gonna get me killed?

OTOH, I had about $500 in the whole affair... probably the cost of just 2-3 trees done by the pros... but again, I worked like a dog for 3 weeks to get it all cleaned up and yours will be done in hours...

Keep us posted! You can bet a big shop is on my list of "must haves"! :beer:

Just a few quick pics of the backyard starting to open up..
They took down 10 trees yesterday and hauled them all off.
They only have 3 to go and then it is brush and stump time..
shop 081.jpg

shop 082.jpg

SHINTON said:
just a thought or two... i assume no home owner rules...but are you in a city/zoning? Just double check before you put it up and a neighbor complains you are running a "business/garage" in your backyard and they think it is ugly or whatever!
I am sure you did though, just thought I would mention it for the heck of it...and yes I am very jealous, your garage is about the size of my entire backyard on my massive 1/3 acre lot in my vinyl village! :D (And that is with me getting the coveted corner lot!)

Yes I am in the city..
NO HOA.. I would not buy a house with that crap...
(I HATE HOA - no one tells me what I can paint, builld, decorate, etc.. my house when I pay the mortgage and the taxes every year)

Yes I have also contact City about permits, etc.. but I am not gonna get the permit until backyard is cleaned out and ready to start concrete work..

As long as the shed will be inside your setbacks, all you should need is a site plan to scale for a city permit...

Good luck! I don't know how familiar you have gotten (yet, ha) with residential permits and zoning, but if you need any help I've been spending a lot of time in the City regulations handbook! Now that I think about it, you *may* need more info. than just the plot plan... but the only similar structure we've sent through was in Apex and they're notoriously tough. So you may need details on the slab, to be safe.

Well I got one more item out of the backyard today..
I sold my 12x20 shed to a guy and man it was crazy getting it out..
shop 089.jpg

shop 092.jpg

shop 094.jpg

Well the bad news is that is all the pics I got of the shed being loaded and taken away...
Jess was in charge of taking pics and she had a freind over.. so they decided it would be more fun to drive my XJ around the yard and take pics.. :)
SO here is her freind Raine...
Oh well atleast she can not bitch at me for tearing up the backyard :)
shop 090.jpg

shop 091.jpg

Well with some help from Scott I got the backyard clean out. I stil hav some more things to rip out but I think Jess wants to move those to another part in the yard and since she was not home this weekend I had to wait to make sure.
Now it is time for the backoe/bobcat to grade it and level it..
1st pic is with the gate closed
2nd pic is open
100_0272.JPG

100_0271.JPG

this 1st pic shows the parking pad that is gonna get ripped out and that is where I will be making the driveway into the backyard to get to the shop
2nd pic shows more of where the shop will be
100_0273.JPG

100_0274.JPG

I got the Star at the State Fair Flea Market.. it was pricey = $60 but when the lady wants something the cost does not matter ( well atleast for $60)

Back