cherokee fans: check it out

Status
Not open for further replies.
actually yeah i would but i just run whatever tires i usually can get best deal on so 38s a guy had for 600 so i couldn't pass that up

You should try the 36's up front, if not to protect the 30, it puts more rake in the jeep so weight transfer to the front is better. Plus it keeps the jeep closer to level when you are climbing.

and FYI, just cause it has 44s front and rear wouldn't solve any issue for me or anyone on an xj, still cant beat on it that hard, i hear people breakin those diffs just as much as the D35s and 8.25 so really no big difference but for a weekend DD wheeler, would make a nice rig, would agree.
The big differences between your axles and those 44s are the spindles vs unit bearings, ball joint and knuckle strength, bigger brakes, bigger axle tubes, better steering configuration, lock out hubs, and... wait for it...No c-clips!
picture.php

the steering i strongly agree with, i hate xj steering but live with it, but ball joints and knuckels and such never given me an issue. I might have forgot to mention that i always replace those parts before i ever hit the trail. every trail jeep of mine gets new wheel bearings, joints, axles, and brakes so maybe thats why i never really run into many issues like other people do. i learned after my first cherokee back in highschool that front axles have to be replaced, steering and trackbar, ball joints and hubs are a must before hittin the trail. yeah it takes me a little longer to get one ready but then i have peace of mind that i at least wont break those. another reason why im such a cherokee freak cause their one of the cheapest rigs to replace stuff on and not go broke and very cheap and easy to have spare parts for.

thats one crooked cherokee by the way!!! my 39.5 never got close to that and they sat on origianl 87 dana 30 Disco for 9months before i sold it and played with it some too.

Here's a better picture of what happens to an xj 30 on 34" tires... And that's a high pinion alloy usa shafted one to boot.

163097_913508434885_27430461_47672205_6681225_n.jpg

HHHHHOOOOOOLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what the hell.........Im speachless...........uhhhhhhh.........uhhhhhhhh.......:wtf:
that breaks my heart to see an xj like that, lets all bow our heads and give a moment of .....silence for this one.....rest in peace brother blue........
I do wonder if the "Grenade"logo on the hood had any supersticious thing to do with it....:D

Not sure how I missed this thread, but...... I am glad it's not in the newbie section.

First thought when reading through this in it's entirety, was I smell troll!
And then, I came to the conclusion that the OP is totally serious, I started hearing banjo music.
So, I read that he has four kids, money spent on this Jeep would have been spent a lot better on
Contraceptives. It's also unfortunate that kids can't choose their parents.
Now, a few questions. Do you drive to the trail or do you trailer this Jeep? If you drive it, and you have anyone of these kids in
the Jeep with you, then you are guilty of reckless endangerment. If something happens and one of those kids are hurt, then you are guilty of child abuse. I would personally take a copy of this thread to the po po.
I promise you if I come up on you on the trail, and you are broke down because of your drive train or tire choices, I will pass you by.
oh and BTW check your math, I think you are a little off on your reduction numbers

Peace, and I hope not to see you on the trails

wow i can't believe how many of you people talk about being afraid and "unsafe" to drive on 38s. I don't know what kinds "GHETTO" rigs yall have had and driven, but i've never ever never ever had a driving issue with any of my jeeps on 30s or 39.5s with the work i do to them outside of the regular "wobble" when first done and then fixed. you guys need to learn to build more "SAFE DRIVING RIGS" if your that scared and so i'll tell you, MR. upnover, same thing i told another guy, you obviously can't handle a Jeep if your that scared. You guys are rediculous with your stupid comments of driveability and safety. I drive my jeeps anywhere up to 50mph and wife and 4 kids been traveling with me for all my life so piss off you wimps and learn to drive is my advise. if you can't handle any rig on biger tires, than stay off the road and trailer your rig but for those not made of money to have a diesel and and a trailer, we do what we can to make it and make sure we're SMARTER with what we have. :p

and maybe you should spend more time in the shop classes on brakes and drivetrain and then go back to drivers ed a couple more times...

now i'm being an arssss, hey look at me i got rockwells and tons and 60s and i got those from selling my kidneys, put my wife on the corner and now i can go off road after i sell 2 kids..........................................ass holes

ohh yeah, you wont see me on the trail for sure cause i make sure to stay away from "PROS" like yourself and i'll stick to us cool Jeepster weekends who actually enjoy this sport, have fun, and play for fun and enjoy our builds

final comment on this thread. NOW I OFFICIALLY DON'T LIKE ANYONE WITH A BIG RIG ON BIG AXLES AND HUGE TIRES AND OVERBEARING EGO OF THEIR RICH BUILDS. IVE LOST ALL RESPECT FOR YOU BIG GUYS BECAUSE OF PUTTING DOWN THE LITTLE GUYS WHO JUST WANT TO ENJOY THE SPORT AS WELL. good luck to all of you rock hard crawlers, peace and love to the xj cool guys whove been suporting.

Guess you're right, I do need more experience.
Ego? I don't think anyone here has bragged on their rig, oh wait, yes there was, you!
I am guessing, there is probably over 100+ years of experience in this thread advising you, and all you do is argue.
And for the record, I have several friends who wheel XJ's, and they do well on the trail. But, they are all smart enough to not strain a factory weak drive train with tires too big for what they have. Dude I wish you the best, but if you actually wheel that Jeep, I as well as the others here know what's gonna happen. I do hope it doesn't happen while you are going 50MPH down the road.
Leave the wife and kids at home. Give them a chance to live.

"I drive my jeeps anywhere up to 50mph and wife and 4 kids been traveling with me for all my life so piss off you wimps and learn to drive is my advise." How do you fit 6 people in a cherokee? Somehow i missed that earlier. 'Less acourse your a messican...

ok dude so since your an administrator and all than you should know advising people is not putting down every tech thing they want to do, tearing down every part they want to add, talking about them harming their family and such bullshit. who ever came and said anything about your kids or wife?what the hell does that have to do with building a XJ on 38s with doubler. thats what this post was from the getgo and yall turn it into this DR.PHILL drama cause yall think (100yrs exp)that you know everything. and for the record, i don't brag about my jeep or jeeps, i just try to back them up against all the critics across the world who always say xj sucks,xj sucks, xj sucks and granades. I wouldn't be so happy with a xj if it hadn't been for my first people teaching me and encouraging me to go bigger and do more stuff and that their great al around weekend fun rigs to DD or trailer but either way i am where i am with these 'Granades' because of positive people with positive feedback and yes, warnings on the way. i'm sure you big rig guys are the same way----you have your rig probably because yo saw it in action or was talked into it to build what you built for your liking.....WELL us xj guys like me are out here to PROVE that our Little xjs can do what the big guys do just with more sense and thought. Thats my main problem with nc4x4, cherokeenation, and stuff is people look for advise on these forums to build them up, yes give them a heads up and stuff, but when evryones responses are always "no dont go above 31s or your gonna granade that thing" or "your going to hell cause your endangering your wife and kids" THATS THE BULL THAT I LONG WITH OTHERS CANT STAND, so IF you guys are really into this support staff thing to support people and help this sport grow, than yall need to choose your words and encourage more.....and people wonder why so many leave this hobby/sport and nobody back it up anymore with votes to hold open trails and such.... casue yall run them off. People say, well damn whats the point in doing this if i can't do nothing to my truck without 'Granading' everything. We're all grown ups on here and should act more liket it instead of little kids nit picking at each others toy. thats my 2cents to you and other support staff or people period who care to keep guys into the sport and Trully enjoy the sport for fun and not always pissing contests. Give advise to build up, encourage, take heed when needed but stop blowing people's xj builds out of proportion and freightening the whole world cause a guy is runnin 38s on cherokee....really dude.....you as a builder should know better.....i admire people who want to go the extra distance to do what ALL OTHERS are afraid to do and when i succeed, guess what, now i've built confidence inothers to do the same or similar and thats cool progress even if we brake an axle on the way.

ok dude so since your an administrator and all than you should know advising people is not putting down every tech thing they want to do, tearing down every part they want to add, talking about them harming their family and such bullshit. who ever came and said anything about your kids or wife?what the hell does that have to do with building a XJ on 38s with doubler. thats what this post was from the getgo and yall turn it into this DR.PHILL drama cause yall think (100yrs exp)that you know everything. and for the record, i don't brag about my jeep or jeeps, i just try to back them up against all the critics across the world who always say xj sucks,xj sucks, xj sucks and granades. I wouldn't be so happy with a xj if it hadn't been for my first people teaching me and encouraging me to go bigger and do more stuff and that their great al around weekend fun rigs to DD or trailer but either way i am where i am with these 'Granades' because of positive people with positive feedback and yes, warnings on the way. i'm sure you big rig guys are the same way----you have your rig probably because yo saw it in action or was talked into it to build what you built for your liking.....WELL us xj guys like me are out here to PROVE that our Little xjs can do what the big guys do just with more sense and thought. Thats my main problem with nc4x4, cherokeenation, and stuff is people look for advise on these forums to build them up, yes give them a heads up and stuff, but when evryones responses are always "no dont go above 31s or your gonna granade that thing" or "your going to hell cause your endangering your wife and kids" THATS THE BULL THAT I LONG WITH OTHERS CANT STAND, so IF you guys are really into this support staff thing to support people and help this sport grow, than yall need to choose your words and encourage more.....and people wonder why so many leave this hobby/sport and nobody back it up anymore with votes to hold open trails and such.... casue yall run them off. People say, well damn whats the point in doing this if i can't do nothing to my truck without 'Granading' everything. We're all grown ups on here and should act more liket it instead of little kids nit picking at each others toy. thats my 2cents to you and other support staff or people period who care to keep guys into the sport and Trully enjoy the sport for fun and not always pissing contests. Give advise to build up, encourage, take heed when needed but stop blowing people's xj builds out of proportion and freightening the whole world cause a guy is runnin 38s on cherokee....really dude.....you as a builder should know better.....i admire people who want to go the extra distance to do what ALL OTHERS are afraid to do and when i succeed, guess what, now i've built confidence inothers to do the same or similar and thats cool progress even if we brake an axle on the way.

people have given you advice. You chose to inore it & tell all of us how much badassery you have.

I agree with Upnover, please leave the kids home.

One more piece of advice, please don't breed pool any more....

You think we're full of shit but this stuff happens. It is simply not safe to wheel a stock axled xj on that big of tire and drive it home. Maybe this next link will get it through your thick skull. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-chit-chat/1090077-wheeling-death-harlan-ky-please-read.html

RIP Gabe

Edit: In no way am I saying Gabe's jeep was like the OP's. Just stating that even with good parts shit happens and the more prepared you(and your rig) are the less likely you are to become a statistic. Hope no one took me as saying Gabe's jeep was not properly equipped...

Last edited:
I really just hope I don't see this thing driving around in boone honestly. No one here is telling you its not safe for shits and giggles, they're telling you its not safe because it is not.

Your jeep not practical at all. You could do a lot more with a Cherokee on 33's and lockers than you could with yours, and you wouldent have to use soo much "finesse" to keep things from "granading". Witch in turn would save money in parts, and you would not put other drivers in danger. Its cool that you want to go off-road but don't be a dumbass, and take peoples advice. Advise that has came from people who drive Cherokees. Its not that Cherokees suck, it is that cherokes with 38's suck. From what I have read. No this sport is not for you.

The first thing I thought about when I read this thread was the accident at harlan. I also wheel a cherokee on 39's and have to do it on a budget due to a single income family and a house of 5. That accident at harlan scared the shit out of me and made my pre-trip check list a lot more complicated when the family goes. There's no way I would wheel on stock axles with 38's. My first and second trip out was cut short due to broken shafts in my front d44 and I was no where near "beating" on it. I'm convinced that a d44 has to have alloy shafts no matter what size tire your running!! All joking aside, it is a VERY big risk to put your family in a unprepared jeep. I'm not saying that to be mean, I would just hate to have a thread like the one above with you or your family in it.

OK dude
I am not an administrator, I am a mod. I have not changed anything in this post, so I am here only as someone who cares what others do, if I KNOW they are unsafe. What you consider to be a great thing, people like me know that to be bullshit. So if people like me don't say something, it's the same as saying yeah that's good, that's fine. Then some youngster of 17 attempts to do the same thing. As far as my family, I have never done anything with any of them in my Jeep where someone has warned me that they may get hurt because of what I have done to my Jeep. If this thread would have been started with less flamboyant then Hey Cherokee fans, and was followed up by added a 8.8 or 8.25, Dana 44 or Ford 9" and some Chromo's in the front. I do not claim to know or will I ever know everything, what I do have is experience. My experience along with others tell us, it won't work on the trail, and further, it's not safe on the road. But you continue to respond as if YOU know it all, and we don't. As far as a support team, there is none. However, some of us do support others, but if JeffB had wrote what you wrote, then I would have called him out just the same.
What happens in situations like this, is that you do this, and go out on the trail. You break, maybe you have a spare axle, and maybe you are able to get the broke stub out, in the best case scenario, you have held up a group, or even several groups up, cause major trail congestion, all because you would not listen. What you are doing, has been done, you didn't invent it. We know what happened next, that's the advice.
BTW to get your gear reduction with two 231 cases which are 2.72 each would give you 7.40 in reduction(rounded up) not the I think you said 5.44. Multiply them, don't add to get the right number.
BTW you lied, you said above that was your final comment, but you couldn't resist the chance to come back, yet again. You are wrong, we know you are wrong, and we know what will happen.
And I am guessing here, that since you are taking your four kids and your wife(6) people in your Cherokee, then you must have one set of Siamese twins?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back