Feeling Old at 32...

Interesting to re-read this thread. Lots of good advice.

I have been in a funk lately and been working my way out of it. Finally realized, for the first time in my life, that I didn't have a long-range goal or project to work towards, and look forward to. No more major work projects, the house is done, no epic hikes or cross-country trips planned, etc. Decided that's one thing I really need -- something sitting out there on the horizon to focus on, not just the mental clutter and busy work of day-to-day life.

Glad to hear things are going well for you.

Decided that's one thing I really need -- something sitting out there on the horizon to focus on, not just the mental clutter and busy work of day-to-day life
Wheeling trips do that for me. If there's not 3-8 trips on the horizon for me to look forward too I become a trapped rat.

Use to be riding my motorcycle. If I didn't get out on 2 wheels at least 3 times a month I would go crazy. But that switched as I got older to wheeling trips.

Now, if I can't get out around a fire with my buds after a day tryin to destroy my Jeep at least once a month...I'm grouchy, and horrible to deal with. I have an amazing and understanding wife that MAY ask me to skip a month..but by 45 days without...encourages me to take WHATEVER trip is upcoming and GTFO of her hair for 3-5 days :lol:

Life is hard. Wife and I were talking last weekend about how just the daily stuff that goes on and trying to juggle this and that becomes a lot to deal with sometimes. We talked about work and how we both "feel" like we leave work at work, but I told her that I think we are indeed bringing it home and we just aren't dealing with it and so we just shut it off thinking that's going to make it go away when really, we are just shoving it deep down inside and then every little thing that happens is irritating... Believe it or not, Gardening has really been something that I have enjoyed especially lately. We have been going to all these different nurseries and finding stuff we'd never seen before and is almost like "what sort of hidden treasure are we going to find today?"

But I appreciate everyone's input, really helps put things into perspective.

I've got a rose bush that I really want to doctor up, but I'm never home long enough to be able to mess with it.

Wheeling trips do that for me. If there's not 3-8 trips on the horizon for me to look forward too I become a trapped rat.

Use to be riding my motorcycle. If I didn't get out on 2 wheels at least 3 times a month I would go crazy. But that switched as I got older to wheeling trips.

Now, if I can't get out around a fire with my buds after a day tryin to destroy my Jeep at least once a month...I'm grouchy, and horrible to deal with. I have an amazing and understanding wife that MAY ask me to skip a month..but by 45 days without...encourages me to take WHATEVER trip is upcoming and GTFO of her hair for 3-5 days :lol:

Yup, same here. (which you know that lol) but my wife notices when I come home from a trip all refreshed and in a much better mood. Itching to get the new rig finished and get back out there!

Yup, same here. (which you know that lol) but my wife notices when I come home from a trip all refreshed and in a much better mood. Itching to get the new rig finished and get back out there!
This is why i need a rig again. ive realized ive been pretty grumpy for a couple months now, but i really havent had anything to relive my stress.

i havent been able to fish much this year, but the garden and helping clean up a friends property gives me something to do besides sitting at home stressed about work, it usually builds up when im just sitting on the couch watching tv my mind just goes back to all the shitty stuff at work

Life is hard. Wife and I were talking last weekend about how just the daily stuff that goes on and trying to juggle this and that becomes a lot to deal with sometimes. We talked about work and how we both "feel" like we leave work at work, but I told her that I think we are indeed bringing it home and we just aren't dealing with it and so we just shut it off thinking that's going to make it go away when really, we are just shoving it deep down inside and then every little thing that happens is irritating... Believe it or not, Gardening has really been something that I have enjoyed especially lately. We have been going to all these different nurseries and finding stuff we'd never seen before and is almost like "what sort of hidden treasure are we going to find today?"

But I appreciate everyone's input, really helps put things into perspective.
Want to really see some plants you won’t see most places? Come to Raleigh for the next open house of plants delights nursery/ juniper level botanical gardens in July. You will see some plants that are 120 bucks or more but also a lot of more normal stuff. Awesome place.

Attachments

• B48B7086-637D-4436-A669-7880A2DE2427.jpeg
    B48B7086-637D-4436-A669-7880A2DE2427.jpeg
    264.2 KB · Views: 79
I’ve been trying to get out of a (very sedentary) job I hate for around ten years now. I can definitely feel the toll that it, two kids under four, a lack of exercise and poor eating habits has taken on my body.

Been talking to my wife and she’s willing to make some life changes to help find a way out of the work situation so that’s a good step in that direction I think.

I could probably make a ton of excuses for diet/exercise, but the truth is I’m not a very high motivation/discipline guy when it comes to those.

My update:

I switched over to part time at my job in March and that's gone a long way for me as far as getting out of a mind numbing rut. Been clearing land with my dad on our property and helping @ramjo with some of his jobs when time allows. Definitely seeing/feeling how out of shape I've become, but I've loved every second of it. Obviously, taking a pay cut and trying to build a house brings plenty of new stressors to deal with, but I will say, not dreading the work week is pretty great.

Want to really see some plants you won’t see most places? Come to Raleigh for the next open house of plants delights nursery/ juniper level botanical gardens in July. You will see some plants that are 120 bucks or more but also a lot of more normal stuff. Awesome place.
Man, I would love that! I'm really into hostas which aren't expensive plants by any means, but there are some really cool ones out there that are hard to find. I also love Japanese Maples. We have a few, but damn these things are expensive when they have some age on them.

Man, I would love that! I'm really into hostas which aren't expensive plants by any means, but there are some really cool ones out there that are hard to find. I also love Japanese Maples. We have a few, but damn these things are expensive when they have some age on them.

They have a ton of hosta's but a lot of stuff is selling out. Plants are selling so much better this year (and last year was record breaking also), covid has people spending to improve their house a ton.

o
They have a ton of hosta's but a lot of stuff is selling out. Plants are selling so much better this year (and last year was record breaking also), covid has people spending to improve their house a ton.
oh for sure. We've had a hosta garden for about 5 years now, but recently been adding more to it. I think we are up to 60 different kinds now.

Hell, I've gotten three Japanese maples for free. I know a guy.

My update:

I switched over to part time at my job in March and that's gone a long way for me as far as getting out of a mind numbing rut. Been clearing land with my dad on our property and helping @ramjo with some of his jobs when time allows. Definitely seeing/feeling how out of shape I've become, but I've loved every second of it. Obviously, taking a pay cut and trying to build a house brings plenty of new stressors to deal with, but I will say, not dreading the work week is pretty great.

Stretch your legs and back in the morning....I got 12 squares of shingles with your name on them

Back