Frankenstein Street Queen (a.k.a. SpeedBump)

@ckruzer - back in 2014 (I think) there was a recall on some of those Kidde extinguishers, including the ones in that box. Check the Kidde website for how to tell if yours are affected. Not saying yours are affected, but it's better to confirm one way or the other before you need them.

I don't think they are that old but thanks for the heads up! If they are I'll just empty and repack. Can't beat free!

It's happening!!!!

0767e6b9ecb2482d0157ecd15dc1a8fe.jpg

c1974f82f17e7ccc4d65b7b708ab1446.jpg

570915ecb2653f343b0a591e69332253.jpg

9e85ffc7e54a7970e7d2bcdf31b53a3e.jpg

6b4e12ff351beecf9ab016f98f76cab1.jpg

9d15550f3bdd0119ecded7342b40d63d.jpg

ea7c914016d0976016515536d9ab515b.jpg

0e57e85c1408914001c15b5131ebe55b.jpg

8b644f46f592e422f3e6f4f3ad18c327.jpg

I think you are gonna cry when all that shiny paint gets scratched up :lol:

Looking good though. It's always a great feeling when you get the motor in.

Block to diaphragm fingers is 3.25 ish. bh flange to t/o bearing rest is 3.87 ish. Travel is ... what.. 1/16th heavy? Im thinking this lakewood bh is not going to work.

Got the numbers more precise. Bearing 3" from flange when on fork and under rod load from slave. Block to flange is 3-3/16.

Also determined that my hydraulics don't seem to be working. Gunna adjust the fork pivot and then figure out the slave when ready to drive.

Biggest concern at the moment is that "at rest" under load it's already at the end of sleeve. One inch forward movement to depress the diaphragm is gunna have that bearing half off the sleeve. Is that bad?

Oh and when I can get the slave to semi work, it doesnt appear to move it but maybe 1/8 to 1/2. Been told I should look for about 1 inch of travel and like 11/16 of that travel needs to be moving the diaphragm.

Last edited:
So with the TOB pulled all the way back to the trans you have 3.87" from BH face to TOB face? Is that with the fork installed?

See posts above

I may need to hunt down that taller bearing GM has

the larger bearing is 5/8 longer. wont work. gotta make this one work

@XJsavage screw you and your adjustable bearing

Last edited:
Going by what you are describing (sorry those videos are not great, lol) there are a couple things going on. I'll address the hydraulics first:

If you have all the air out of that master/slave setup, that slave will want to rest at the fully extended position. So you should be able to compress that slave (use your weight and push the rod in on the ground) and measure how much travel you actually have. The slave should want to push itself back out like a brand new shock, when all bolted together this would take up all the free play and lightly rest the TOB against the fingers. If your slave is does not push itself back out then throw it away and get another one. From compressed to extended should be about an inch (in general).

As to the measurement issues, I am not sure here. Those videos are about useless, but you don't want the slave coming off the sleeve. You will need to take some more measurements here to find your problem, but from the sounds of it the sleeve is too short. If the pilot shaft sticks in the pilot bearing and the splines fully engage the clutch disc then the bellhousing setup should be fine. The TOB sleeve should extend to or even inside of the clutch fingers when the trans and engine are mated.

HTH

but you don't want the slave coming off the sleeve. You will need to take some more measurements here to find your problem, but from the sounds of it the sleeve is too short. The TOB sleeve should extend to or even inside of the clutch fingers when the trans and engine are mated.

This is the main concern at the moment. im sure the hydraulics will sort itself out when the time comes. although it seems i need to know the slave is putting the proper load on the fork so i know the tob is in the right spot for measurment. if the tob is supposed to be further down on the sleeve, then that means I will certainly be too far away.

Figured it out. Block to fingers is 3.4375 (including air gap). BH Flange to Trans is 5.5625. This means my setup requires a 2.125 tob. The closest parts store was 1.983, so I elected to go ahead and order an adjustable tob. overnighting, so i should have this trans bolted up asap!

Took a break from work and mowed the lawn. Then snuck into the garage and finished putting the rear axle shafts in

7ea37990d7a5f0439bd78337003ecc43.jpg

c1c6d76d3e89a073a6b5ed1b3afe71aa.jpg

Lmao!

EDIT: I honestly *almost* painted the nuts.... Good thing im running out of fuel on this build. lol

Last edited:
Between the two of us, we're about to paint every trail this side of the Mississippi red, white and black.
:bounce2:

Back