French Tickler Buggy

I have no idea how people do not work on their cars.
There is no way you can do what I do to mine without fairly regular maintenance and repairs.
I hear ya! I wheeled with a guy who had a pretty awesome FJ55 crawler who would always make fun of people who do regular maintenance. Guess who's rig would break driving off the trailer, fling off driveshafts on the regular on the connector trails, and even lose wheels.... Boggled our mind, as he would throw a temper tantrum about how much he hates wheeling while trail wrenching, and it's like dude 2 weeks of turning wrenches after work this thing would be fine.

I have no idea how people do not work on their cars.
There is no way you can do what I do to mine without fairly regular maintenance and repairs.
Kinda beating a dead horse here because me and you have talked about it many times but a lot of it is picking your battles. My buggy has been rode more and seen more trail miles over the last 10 months than anybody else I know or follow on social media (minus the guys that go with me almost everytime) than normal people do in like 3-5 years worth of riding. So far ive replaced one trans cable shifter (my fault for having it somewhere it would get burnt), one front driveshaft (my fault for never greasing it and it became sloppier than my buddies sister), one carrier shaft (epic fail), one fuel cell (party drinks involved), and tightened one wheel bearing and one kingpin the entire time. I have very small complaints about my buggy and radiator size is the biggest. Now fix your shit and lets go ride.

You don't do what I do with mine either. We've indeed talked about it :)

I'm going back to the 6" pulley before windrock since I won't have time to change the cooling system and want to make sure it lasts all weekend. If I have the parts on time I'm putting another sway bar in it.

You don't do what I do with mine either. We've indeed talked about it :)

I'm going back to the 6" pulley before windrock since I won't have time to change the cooling system and want to make sure it lasts all weekend. If I have the parts on time I'm putting another sway bar in it.
Ive seen you drive dude. Again, picking battles. Its way more fun to be 85% commit and be ready for the next trip before you even get home from the one youre on than be 100% commit and have to work on a bunch of stuff that potentially messes up the next trip imo.

Windrock ride this weekend.

Buggy did great, drove itself back on the trailer.
Rear end and front driveshafts are making some noises. Gonna have to check this out ASAP.

Alex showed us what 100% commit means and I chickened out.

59F6D98A-BABB-4C5D-B03A-FB8B8FAF0E9B.jpeg

Is this cadillac hill? If so, it looks like you fully committed to the back flip :rockon:

Airplane Hill, just before you turn right to Cadillac.

I believe I was the only one to give a half-assed attempt to the left exit of Cadillac Hill, but I was the last one in the group, day was running late and the buggy was miraculously still together so I elected not to push my luck.

I need a dry day, helmet and fix my sway bar before I give it a full retarded run again.

Airplane Hill, just before you turn right to Cadillac.

I believe I was the only one to give a half-assed attempt to the left exit of Cadillac Hill, but I was the last one in the group, day was running late and the buggy was miraculously still together so I elected not to push my luck.

I need a dry day, helmet and fix my sway bar before I give it a full retarded run again.
I think we're talking about the same spot. I just call Trail 39 Cadillac Hill because its easier to remember than trail 39.

That's possible.

Both Airplane and Cadillac Hills are part of Trail 39.

But they aren't the same obstacles.

Where is airplane hill in relation to Cadillac? If it's on the map just call me dumbass and I'll look in my glove box of the taco when I get home tonight.

Per @Scottal

« Red is entrance where we went in. Blue is top of Airplane Hill at the hard switch back. Green is Caddy Hill / rail trail split. »

510F34D6-408B-427B-9379-77EE245C892C.jpeg

Windrock ride this weekend.

Buggy did great, drove itself back on the trailer.
Rear end and front driveshafts are making some noises. Gonna have to check this out ASAP.

Alex showed us what 100% commit means and I chickened out.

View attachment 378635
You figure out the noises?

I pulled the skid plate Thursday. It was full of ATF.

CBD99C3B-3969-4B51-A181-F56A350F2A74.jpeg

Trans pan broke because a rock wedged itself between it and the skid plate and I probably bellied on something.

Gonna put a new pan and filter on it and hope for the best. Trans still moved the buggy in and out of the shop soooo IDK.

Haven’t dug more but I need to check the driveshaft too.

View attachment 381065

Trans pan broke because a rock wedged itself between it and the skid plate and I probably bellied on something.

Gonna put a new pan and filter on it and hope for the best. Trans still moved the buggy in and out of the shop soooo IDK.

Dang. I know mine is leaking gear oil because you can see it dripping off the skid. I never thought to make it a pan so it would just catch it all and I wouldn't have to worry about it! :laughing:

View attachment 381065

Good catch! Figuratively and literally. I don't know that I wouldn't make a gracious provision to not allow that stuff to pool in the future. Many a fire has been started from Hot ATF hitting exhaust.

That's a very bad what if to contend with. I want my Fireball in a glass.

What size hole do you recommend ?
A wise man once told me: Always drill whatever size hole is available, for drilling a hole is better than not drilling a hole.

It’s about the motion of the drill not the size of the bit

What size hole do you recommend ?
Minimum .5 better at .75 unless you wash frequently.......sediment and the like will clog anything under an 1 quite regular.

Back