"Gonna do it right...maybe!!??" Fuller's new XJ build!!!

Pistons are completely seized. I was hoping they would unseize moving it but it didn't hardly move under throttle. Just sucks cause it's all 4...I'm so frustrated with this thing, one thing after another

Btw, is the 44 CAD guts same size as the 60? Someone has couple of those , thanks bud

Ever rebuilt a caliper? Much like a truck stop hottie, the rebuild kits are cheap and easy.

No idea on the CAD stuff.

Ever rebuilt a caliper? Much like a truck stop hottie, the rebuild kits are cheap and easy.

No idea on the CAD stuff.
I've always taken apart XJ ones, sanded down put back together and worked every time so hoping this works the same..I'll look into rebuild kits too.
What about rear though since it's disk brake swapped

Could I just make a fork and mount it on some kinda slide pin

I've always taken apart XJ ones, sanded down put back together and worked every time so hoping this works the same..I'll look into rebuild kits too.
What about rear though since it's disk brake swapped

Calipers are calipers. Dust seal and a piston seal.
Grab a 2x4 to catch the piston when you apply air pressure to the banjo bolt hole and some emory cloth to clean the schmegma.

Calipers are calipers. Dust seal and a piston seal.
Grab a 2x4 to catch the piston when you apply air pressure to the banjo bolt hole and some emory cloth to clean the schmegma.
well the first one I took apart so far didn't need anything to catch it...it took EVERY THING I HAD pushing on the pedal to get it to move cm at a time then finally twist and turn the last bit...big ring of rust right towards outer edge but on that one, the seal looks good (it didn't leak and held pressure the whole time and I gave it all and then some lol). little grease after sanding them down and should be good, I hope.

Nah, do what @Jody Treadway said, and use compressed air...stepping on the brake pedal will make a huge mess. I've also seen people use a grease gun to push them out with a modified banjo bolt with a grease zerk, but that seems like a waste of good grease to me.

Also...the rebuild kits are literally a few dollars. Okay, 7.

I rebuilt the calipers on my CJ the same way...blow them bastards out with air. Just use a rag to catch, and not your hand...you'll end up with smashed piggies that way.

something that's funny that I've thought many times including today: For many many many years I never really pursued doing axle swaps in my jeeps for exactly these types of reasons/problems. I always wanted bigger stuff but just knew bigger different axles meant more money, more headache, more time and more stress than I need lol. Not until few years ago did I step out of my comfort zone and go D44s and now finally 60s. I won't lie, at times such as now, I wish I had just stuck with stock stuff that are everywhere, even free, and just carry spares and keep swapping axle shafts in 20min and wheel on lol.

Having that said, this whole 60/70 swap and proper links and 40s better be dam worth the 3 months of my countless hours each day till midnight and all the triple amount of money in it better pay off....

Having that said, this whole 60/70 swap and proper links and 40s better be dam worth the 3 months of my countless hours each day till midnight and all the triple amount of money in it better pay off....
Hah...my rig has been in pieces for the past 8 or 9 years...I wish I had the time to work on it. Soon, I keep telling myself....soon.

Waaaaiiittt...so some axles that sat for a few years have calipers on them that are locked up? You can't see it, but I'm honestly shocked right now.

You can get new pistons for most calipers if needed, for about $10 each. I'm not a big fan of sanding the rust off of pistons because they're a pretty tight fit and are much more likely to rust faster after that, unless the piston is aluminum.

Try to compress the piston first to loosen it up, and then use the compressed air trick to move them back out.

Waaaaiiittt...so some axles that sat for a few years have calipers on them that are locked up? You can't see it, but I'm honestly shocked right now.

As my friend would say, "This is my shocked face".

You can get new pistons for most calipers if needed, for about $10 each. I'm not a big fan of sanding the rust off of pistons because they're a pretty tight fit and are much more likely to rust faster after that, unless the piston is aluminum.

Try to compress the piston first to loosen it up, and then use the compressed air trick to move them back out.

As my friend would say, "This is my shocked face".
well I guess I'm gonna call in to see how much rebuild kits are.
so how to I go about finding out what rear calipers they are since they're the "disk break" swap

well I guess I'm gonna call in to see how much rebuild kits are.
so how to I go about finding out what rear calipers they are since they're the "disk break" swap

No idea about identifying the rear calipers, but look on RockAuto for the rebuild kits and pistons. That site was made for you, their prices are awesome.

John do you have a picture of the rear calipers, most of the rear disc conversions used late 70's chevy front truck calipers.

John do you have a picture of the rear calipers, most of the rear disc conversions used late 70's chevy front truck calipers.
I'll get some pics put up soon

IMG_20180407_084103999.jpg

Built Jeep tough with Chevy stuff, those are late 70's early 80's chevy front truck calipers! Super cheap, easy to adapt to any axle, and everyone and there brother has them sitting on the shelf. I think the last reman one I got was $12!

Built Jeep tough with Chevy stuff, those are late 70's early 80's chevy front truck calipers! Super cheap, easy to adapt to any axle, and everyone and there brother has them sitting on the shelf. I think the last reman one I got was $12!
cool thanks Chris, dang that's cheap...even for my cheap butt LOL

I think the last reman one I got was $12!
if this is really the case, it's not even worth my time to take em apart and try to fix or rebuild...$30 for 2 of them (if that's the case) and 10min to pop em on is way better than an hour or more to dissasemble each one. tonight gonna get at it, today is my relax and chill day no work on anything

I find it hard to believe that all 4 calipers are not only seized but locked down so tight that the car won't move? And you just now noticed? Sure something else isn't going on?

I find it hard to believe that all 4 calipers are not only seized but locked down so tight that the car won't move? And you just now noticed? Sure something else isn't going on?
well i had all the lines put together, then I bled the system and had a good pedal. when i went to drive it out didn't want to "roll" very easy so I just figured it would unseize while rolling out..got it almost half way up driveway (maybe 15ft) and besides steering really sucking, still wouldn't roll easy so pulled it back in and jacked it up and that's when I realized can't turn the wheels by hand at all..it takes me using a hammer and big punch to break the caliper piston back off the rotor (one first one) then the tire starts moving so that's when i figured out they didn't unseize lol, they are stuck as crap!
the axles spun freely as should before bleeding the breaks and applying pressure to the system.
T-case spun freely also when assembling driveshafts so that too I know it's just the breaks...(believe me i worried thinking the worst lol but then remembered everything spun freely before applying pressure to the break system)

Back