"Gonna do it right...maybe!!??" Fuller's new XJ build!!!

It's not really surprising that the collar holds. The welds are literally just having to keep it from sliding off the end of one shaft and letting it uncouple. You could have done two small tacks just in the splines and left the collar loose and it would have done the same thing.
well several told me tacks wouldn't hold if I was going to actually wheel it good since it's hardened shafts so they recommended welding solid all on one side just so it doesn't brake which would probably brake both in there.
One of the guys I've hung out with much says he's ran the 2 piece for 3yrs pretty hard and it's held up so I think I'll be ok on stock 4.0 and he's running v8. I'll figure out someway to cut it out of there when I get that one piece.

I wasn't even talking about tacking on the collar itself, just next to it on each side. It literally just needed to keep the collar over both shafts. That way none of the three pieces are actually welded together.

i know it's a bad habit so I need to build some handles for me on both sides of me to grab onto rather than what I use. I try to be mindful of it and am but there are the times that I grab those without realizing it but I am aware and plans are to add some grab handles that are convenient to hold. thanks man
Keep your hands on the steering wheel. No need to take them off.

I may have messed up my earlier statement. There is something different in the spindles of the D50. Look up dodge 60 hub conversion and there is a shitload of info.

I may have messed up my earlier statement. There is something different in the spindles of the D50. Look up dodge 60 hub conversion and there is a shitload of info.

upload_2018-5-14_12-36-49.jpeg

Fairly certain this is the thread with shat tons of info, not reading through it again to find out though.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-hardcore-tech/642891-front-axles-dana-50-vs-60-a.html

^^ yup. That’s the one. Something about stubs being different as well. I was going to do the swap on my 2nd gen but never spent the money to get all the parts together. It’s a good read though if someone wanted to do it and had the time to gather parts. If you could find a deal on a whole axle it seems to be the best way to go. Or find someone upgrading to Reid knuckles and upgrading the outter shafts....

I did the ford outer conversion on my dodge CAD 60 in my Ranger. John looked at it this weekend at the Flats. It was pretty simple to do, but it does add about another inch and a half to your total width. This on top of a wide axle to begin with, and low back spacing wheels can make for a very wide trail rig. I do have issues fitting into some trails and spaces, but I can usually bulldoze my way through. I used the dodge knuckle and brake calipers with re-drilled ford 60 spindles, stubs, rotors and hubs. Ford rotors are same diameter, but a little under 1/4" thinner so you have to keep an eye on pad wear. Has worked great for the past 3 years with no breakage or problems (even still running the stock 2pc shaft).

appreciate all the info on doing outer conversions but just not gonna happen guys. As many pointed out pages and pages ago when I bought these axles, wouldn't not be worth the time or money into the front to do all that cause then I'd be in it for more than a 05 Super 60 so that's just not smart. I've heard and been told by couple they've ran the 2 piece for years on 40s even with v8 and still holding up so with my 4.0, only 4:10 gears and keeping out of the throttle some I believe it will actually hold up longer than expected. the only money I'm throwing into the front is a one piece from newer dodge and that's it when I get some saved up otherwise leave it and wheel it lol.

appreciate all the info on doing outer conversions but just not gonna happen guys. As many pointed out pages and pages ago when I bought these axles, wouldn't not be worth the time or money into the front to do all that cause then I'd be in it for more than a 05 Super 60 so that's just not smart. I've heard and been told by couple they've ran the 2 piece for years on 40s even with v8 and still holding up so with my 4.0, only 4:10 gears and keeping out of the throttle some I believe it will actually hold up longer than expected. the only money I'm throwing into the front is a one piece from newer dodge and that's it when I get some saved up otherwise leave it and wheel it lol.
isn't a newer dodge front axle an aam not a dana do the axle shafts interchange?

isn't a newer dodge front axle an aam not a dana do the axle shafts interchange?
i was told 02 and up the one piece does...unless i misunderstood but I'm pretty sure many pages back on the build thread it was said...

They started using AAM stuff in 2003, if I remember right, so it'll be a narrow search window...as in specific, not necessarily hard to find.

Rockauto carries shafts and gears now... sure you could find a shaft up there

i was told 02 and up the one piece does...unless i misunderstood but I'm pretty sure many pages back on the build thread it was said...

Yeah, it would be 01-02. they went to 3rd gen in 03, that would be AAM axles.

Here is the conversion axle and if you wanted to go 35 spline.
https://www.yukongear.com/partslist.aspx?SearchMode=Search&SearchType=Part&SearchPhrase=YA+W2603
https://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-23993191-dana-60-00-02-dodge-32-spline-longside-cad-delete.html

I am not aware of a 1pc Dodge 60 shaft in the 2nd gens. I was pretty sure they were two piece until the AAM switchover in 03. I never did a lot of research into it though...

I think it was an aftermarket deal... I cannot remember. I said fuck it and put a HP60 under the front of mine... I swear there was a 1 piece conversion this. Hell... Someone could make one. Find out the length and spline count... 31 or 33 I think... Again... That was a long time ago

I am not aware of a 1pc Dodge 60 shaft in the 2nd gens. I was pretty sure they were two piece until the AAM switchover in 03. I never did a lot of research into it though...
2002 was the only year of the 1 piece long side on the 2nd Gens.
Just for the sake of future searches :beer:

Back