Here come the hurricanes!

I’m not concerned at the moment because from what I’ve seen they still have no idea what it’s going to do. If it’s going to be a direct hit in the area we have a plan but I’m not sitting around on vacation worrying about it. Not my first rodeo dealing with adverse conditions.
By all accounts anywhere in the three state neighborhood is going to suck. I couldn't see driving staight toward the mess vacation or not. My folks tried that once toward SC. Wasn't at all a good idea.

Florence-Henserson-in-GMC.jpg
we are here--->:eek:

Biggest problem is if & when you Do have to get out, All food & supplies will be gone. So will the Gas stations. Get in the Mass line of evacs, & spend hours trying to get nowhere. Then you run out of Fuel. Hotels are overbooked. It happens! Last Major storm, evacs ended up in Rock Hill & Charlotte, before finding a room.

NC Has apparently already started allocating trucks and dozers and have them headed east. Same with other cleanup equipment. The early declaration and state of emergency for agriculture is to be able to lump everything into federal aid. As soon as it’s declared, virtually everything can be submitted for federal aid.

What concerns meteorologists about this storm (Florence) is the models almost all look similar or have small variance. Not the usual scatter of projections and wait til 48hrs before to see what happens. Part of that is the fact that depending on where the pressure systems sit once the storm hits land, it could stall causing serious flooding not only at the coast but a considerable distance inland as well.

I think it all depends on what it does and where it goes when it hits land. It might do like Hazel or Hugo and go through the middle of the state and wind up dying out up in Canada or some crazy shit. I hope not though.

I hope it hits land, dies, and goes to hell where it belongs....

Considerable distance? Expected impact in wnc?
I just read an article that said depending on how long it stalls after landfall there could be 1 to 2 FEET of rain from fayetteville up through the triad. With sustained 40 mph winds on top of that. One forecast was predicting it could still be a cat 2 storm as far inland as fayetteville but I think they've backed that down since this morning.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

WTF is it with F named storms and NC? Floyd, Fran....

Our Scout troop is scheduled to go camping this weekend, and whitewater rafting Sat starting at Harpers Ferry (which is at the junction of VA, WVA, and MD.
I suspect that could be wild ride :D

H storms have been bad too...Hazel, Hugo, and Helene is already a hurricane and right out behind Florence.

The Walmart in Havelock was put of water and a truck came in while I was there earlier. The Murphy's gas station there was also apparently out of gas and diesel fuel. All of the pumps were wrapped up and nobody was there...or they may have closed to hold on to what they have in case the linemen and city/county workers needed it. Who knows?

@obullfish if you find yourself heading for the hills in evac traffic, give me a call. I’m about a half way point for you.

I’ve not paid any attention at all to this storm until just now. Realizing that even here in the triad we could be facing serious rain fall and extended power outtage. I knew I should have bought a generator already...
Guess I’m gonna stock up on coffee and fresh water.

Hope all y’all stay safe!! This looks like a good one for record books if plays out like it looks...

Last edited:
Headed to Nags Head, NC thursday for a stag party. Ill be the NC4X4 reporter on the ground bringing you all the live action.

I went to HF this morning and they hadn’t been open but 15 minutes and the predator generators were almost gone. There was 5 people standing around all the gens they had, asking a sales guy questions. I just slipped thru them and picked up 1 of only 2 left of the Predators and checked out. While at the register the lady got 2 phone calls about generators.

I bet by lunch time there won’t be any left at the HF in High Point.

I went to HF this morning and they hadn’t been open but 15 minutes and the predator generators were almost gone. There was 5 people standing around all the gens they had, asking a sales guy questions. I just slipped thru them and picked up 1 of only 2 left of the Predators and checked out. While at the register the lady got 2 phone calls about generators.

Went to the one in Greensboro yesterday to get a 20 ton press but they were out of stock and seen 2 people buying generators

Drove over to the one in High Point to get the press and seen a couple more people buying generators.

My guess is they're going to try to resell them once the storm hits

If I wind up not needing mine and don’t open it, I’ll be taking it back. I paid a premium and I’ve seen them on sale at times for much less.
Not to mention after this storm, I’m betting the FB marketplace and CL will be flooded with them from people that used them once and now want some money back.

I had 4 generators...
I had 2 of the generators for sale for months. While in Lowe’s on Saturday I saw all of them for sale so I renewed my listing on FB. In less than 12 hours both were sold for full price.

But my dumb luck, the two generators I kept won’t start now... :shaking:

If the path they're talking about is anywhere near what happens, it looks like New Bern is going to get the right hand side of the eye wall...

Same thing down here in Louisiana, the best time to buy a genny is after the storm blows through. Or, buy up a few and sell them/ lend them when the next storm come around. They are a dime a dozen down here.

Back