If you want or need a CDL...

I'm currently almost done with this process myself with obtaining my CDL class B with air, passenger, and school endorsements. I only have to go to the dmv to pick up the finale license. I have passed the written test, pre trip and driving portion. I dont know if a class A is this way but I spent 3 days doing driving hours and practicing pre-trip. Then had my pretrip and driving test on the fourth day. The entire time I was with somone from the DMV. I would recommend studying the pre-trip inside and out. I kept missing things during the practice on the training days. So on the day of the test I named every single little thing and I still missed a few simple things.

I meant to add I started this process in August. Having to go to the dmv to get a permit made the process alot longer.

Last edited:
Got my class A in Siler City NC about 1995 Examiner at DMV was a Lady that was about 4'10" max could'nt lift her leg high enough to get in tractor, R model Mack. Did the parking lot shuffle as I call it and walked out with every endorsment avaliable, Never drove a minute with her in the cab.

Wish they had sent me this video before I went out there today:

Who would have thought you would have to specify that the alternator is 'belt driven', even after stating that the belt driving the alternator is not cracked or chunks missing. Way to go @Jody Treadway you dropped the ball on the one thing you told me to check šŸ˜ƒ. I read that the time limit for the pretrip is 30 minutes, it took him 18 to do it in the video and he literally didn't LOOK at anything, just spouted off the verbage they want to hear. I think next time I might shut my eyes while I am reciting their list. Yes I know this is not just DCCC's requirements, but if they want you to perform an inspection there is no way you could do it all in 30 minutes 'properly'.

So yes, I failed the pretrip, horribly from the sound of it. I listed probably 80-90% of the stuff they mentioned, just used the words 'good/tight/etc' instead of 'not cracked bent ot broken', 'properly fastened and secured' etc.

Appointment #2 next Wednesday, maybe I will get to practice driving a manual transmission and backing up a trailer then in preparation for try #3 šŸ¤£

WARNING LONG POST
When I took it I pretty much went word for word with that video, when you do get in the truck for backing part DON'T GET IN A HURRY. Back up at idle if that's what feels best and gives you the time to process what the trailer AND truck are doing. You fail if the truck or trailer cross the line. Also remember about the back of the truck and tail swing, the cones are bot cones they are the sides of other trucks so don't hit them with the tail swing. For the 90deg back up the best thing to do is after you do the back up to the right Is drive straight forward so that you are just passed the second set of cones (truck),put it in reverse while your steer tires are turned all the way to the passenger side keeping the trailer out of the slot you are backing into. When you get to a point that you can pull forward so that the truck and trailer are in line with the spot you are backing I to do so. DO NOT TRY TO HIT THE SPOT AT AN ANGLE, IT WONT WORK. Again take your time here. As for the road test do not touch a curb with any tire or they will fail you. Also do not coast with the truck in neutral (considered not having control of the truck), take your time and find a gear. 35mph=8th gear, 25mph=7th gear and so on. If you want to call me send me a dm and we can talk about any questions you have. I am by no means an expert but willing to help.

I swear y'all must be taking different driving tests than these Arabs and Eastern Europeans that deliver to me. Can't a damn one of them back up in a straight line.

Amen to that. I don't know how half the drivers that have brought stuff to me got their license.

When doing the pre trip, point in the general direction of things, don't touch. That was how I was taught when I got my CDL at Disney for the buses. As pointed out above, tell them if its belt driven or gear driven. Be anal, that's what they are looking for.

I got lucky when I moved to NC. I had a Class B with air brakes and passenger. The girl at the NC DMV upgraded me to a Class A with everything except hazmat. I may never again use it but I'm not letting it go.

Amen to that. I don't know how half the drivers that have brought stuff to me got their license.

Because their company ā€œpaidā€ for their CDL. Common knowledge in the OTR realms.
As @skyhighZJ said, they get a job and get trained by the co with a company mechanic being their inspector. I got my cdl thru a beer distributor. It was a cake walk. Now, this was around 04.

When doing the pre trip, point in the general direction of things, don't touch. That was how I was taught when I got my CDL at Disney for the buses. As pointed out above, tell them if its belt driven or gear driven. Be anal, that's what they are looking for.

I got lucky when I moved to NC. I had a Class B with air brakes and passenger. The girl at the NC DMV upgraded me to a Class A with everything except hazmat. I may never again use it but I'm not letting it go.

Oh I was very specific, after watching their video I named off tons of stuff not even on the inspection. I guess that's what I get for thinking an inspection should involve 'everything'. I just didn't use the correct verbage. Who would think you don't even have to look at or mention the huge fuel filter bolted to the back of the cab, but heaven forbid you don't mention that the alternator is belt driven. In the manual it says you actually have to pull on the slack adjuster to check it. It's all for show šŸ¤£

You need to also learn the in cab inspection and air brake test procedure-- they are looking for specific times and pressures. Once you're on the road if you miss a gear for more than a truck's length, hit a single curb or don't check your mirrors every 5 seconds they are all instant fails. Will also have to show you know how to double clutch even though no one does.

Also, if you got the permit in feb, is it still valid?

Also, if you got the permit in feb, is it still valid?

Yea I got it renewed. I guess after a few tries. If I don't think I can get the manual trans I'll ask them to take the test in an auto. The one time I drove a manual semi I did fine for the most part. I did go look at one I thought about purchasing and it was a NIGHTMARE to shift, I thought then if they were all that bad I'd never want one, but then after driving the 2nd one I realized there must have been something wrong with the first one I drove. I am not sure what trans was in the one I drove for 1.5 hours or so, best I remember maybe an 8LL. I have driven a few 2-ton dumptruck with 5 or 6 speed spicer trans, I don't recall if those are synchronized or not though.

Last edited:
The biggest thing shifting a commercial trans manual is understanding the clutch throw is NOTHING like the clutch throw in a normal LT. It does not require a full clutch to the floor motion only about 2ā€ of pedal out of gear, proper timing to get engine rpmā€™s to match, clutch and shift to next gear for up shift. Replace timing with rev match to down shift.

Once youā€™re on your own the only clutch is for starting and stopping. Everything in between is ā€œfloatingā€

For testing make sure your shifting with the jakes off or it can fuck with your timing cause it will slow the engine (trans rotation) way faster.

The biggest thing shifting a commercial trans manual is understanding the clutch throw is NOTHING like the clutch throw in a normal LT. It does not require a full clutch to the floor motion only about 2ā€ of pedal out of gear, proper timing to get engine rpmā€™s to match, clutch and shift to next gear for up shift. Replace timing with rev match to down shift.

Once youā€™re on your own the only clutch is for starting and stopping. Everything in between is ā€œfloatingā€

For testing make sure your shifting with the jakes off or it can fuck with your timing cause it will slow the engine (trans rotation) way faster.

Yea I was getting the hang of clutchless shifting on the truck I drove, shame it broke down before we made it home, but luckily it wasn't my truck. Something with the engine went bad, possibly the turbo. Honestly for everything I own, an auto restriction on my license would probably be just fine. I am going to ask the instructor if by try #5 I can't manage the manual if I can do try #5 and #6 in an auto. I imagine as long as I have an auto restriction, I could always go back and take the driving portion of the test again for a manual if I ever actually needed it.

Yea I was getting the hang of clutchless shifting on the truck I drove, shame it broke down before we made it home, but luckily it wasn't my truck. Something with the engine went bad, possibly the turbo. Honestly for everything I own, an auto restriction on my license would probably be just fine. I am going to ask the instructor if by try #5 I can't manage the manual if I can do try #5 and #6 in an auto. I imagine as long as I have an auto restriction, I could always go back and take the driving portion of the test again for a manual if I ever actually needed it.
From what I have seen/read/heard with the new laws.....you would then have to go take one of the new courses even if it was for an endorsement or upgrade

Been talking back and forth with @Tacoma747 through this whole process as he and I got our permits same time....as well as apparently both procrastinated and got extensions on our permits. I guess at this point I'm going to have to get my ass in gear and get on it if they are being this damn picky

From what I have seen/read/heard with the new laws.....you would then have to go take one of the new courses even if it was for an endorsement or upgrade
I know for a fact as of last year, you could go take the road test to add the manual endorsement to your CDL. We had a new hire do just that. He had the auto endorsement, used our truck to take and pass the test. Got the endorsement and went to work for us.
That was last July (2021) so it may have changed since then.

Back