Killer Weldz Thread

Some mig from today.

20160729_142738.jpg
20160506_081909.jpg

Better than anything I can do lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ca4f02f80fb8020fb5a79778714a57dc.jpg

Bored last night and betting friends I can still weld when I'm shitfaced. Still working on flowing I get to stiff while I weld

6010, 4g open root. Line is dead on the tie in.1117161316.jpg 1117161319.jpg
Outside of welder speak, your looking at the back of the weld put in upside down.

I used to love doing anything open root. Still do. When it comes time to test, they might want to feather the tacks down first and it should get rid of the pinhole before the filler gets in there good. That failed me one time. The rest looks like a winner.

That's sweet! What happens to the old machines when the new stuff comes in?
This is a brand new expansion in a satellite program. As far as the oldest goes I'm not sure. Most of the really dated stuff is worn to a point of very little value. At main campus is some of the oldest units, all transformer based. Still kicking and honestly better welders for us old school hard heads. They are slated for replacement in a couple years. I think,assume,guess ect.ect. They get auctioned.

This is a brand new expansion in a satellite program. As far as the oldest goes I'm not sure. Most of the really dated stuff is worn to a point of very little value. At main campus is some of the oldest units, all transformer based. Still kicking and honestly better welders for us old school hard heads. They are slated for replacement in a couple years. I think,assume,guess ect.ect. They get auctioned.

Only type of wire welder I ever plan to have...guess I'm an old hard head.

Matt

Only type of wire welder I ever plan to have...guess I'm an old hard head.

Matt
I should specify some.....sadly Most are multiprocess invertors.

Hopefully this is worthy to go here. Thursday night shop party some friends of mine and I got hammered and screwed around with some 309L stainless 3/32. The very very few times I used these I welded on the recommended heat setting of 60-80. This time I found that upwards of 110-115 was laying down fluid beads and much easier to control the puddle. This is also on .250+ plate we're talking here, and towards the end we ran out of scrap stainless.
IMG_20161222_223901505.jpg

IMG_20161222_215911019.jpg

Not really welds, but related.
Got some new welders at work. Not my 1990's miller cp302, but I think they will do.
The brand is daihan Otc (never heard of them)
400a machine with, pulse, wave pulse and 1,000 other settings for me to screw up. They'll take some getting use to.

20170113_074927.jpg

Last edited:
I've been seeing more and more heavy fab shops with OTC machines. I know nothing about them but at first glance they appear to be comparable to Fronius in features, maybe quality too but they've set that bar pretty damn high.

View attachment 233934 View attachment 233933 I've been watching these two beauties get worse and worse at my gym. It's on the height selector pin for a cable cross machine.

That's some good design right there. Let's weld a small thick bung to a piece of plate, then put a pin through it and highly load the pin in single shear and bending. No, that will never fatigue at the edge of the bung where the very predictable stress riser is.....

Actually, it's probably pretty smart. The gym will just buy a replacement piece of equipment or some replacement parts, and if it's the same brand then the equipment company wins. So no need to actually improve anything.

I've been seeing more and more heavy fab shops with OTC machines. I know nothing about them but at first glance they appear to be comparable to Fronius in features, maybe quality too but they've set that bar pretty damn high.

I doubt they are fronius quality at half the price. They have tons of different settings for parameters, but I have a lot of learning to do to take advantage of them.

Back