Killer Weldz Thread

diggin those brackets, clean purposeful without the overly artsi fartsi stuff.

Guy crashes his 7' RC plane and wants to know if I can fix the exhaust with what I got;

It's 1/32" aluminum with the smoke generator internals, barely see fitting on side. So, I got my tig turned all the way to minimum, yes I coned and flat tipped the rod, ball forms after while per picture. I ground welds smooth, just like that look and think exhaust does better without stress risers. Pipes were ripped out, holes in it and tweaked - looking back I should have just built a completely new one, probably would have had less time in it. Should have taken a before picture also....

Croatan Kid - put a coke can beside that thing, give me some reference for size, looks huge.
Jeff B - That's cool stuff to, i bet you got some heavy duty stuff built around your house with the size scraps I bet get left over from work.

index.php

index.php

So, what's up with my pics, I come back and they are gone, and can't get rid of box below? Trying to figure it out

Last edited:
nice work Mr. waters

I used to have the heavy stuff, probably will again. I can't get the scrap anymore we are a big corp. now..

I guess ill put a pic of something I did. Not much of a shop, but I build 90% of my own crap. 110v hobart handler. It gets the job done.

ai320.photobucket.com_albums_nn330_sgtbriangreen_0311021843.jpg

ai320.photobucket.com_albums_nn330_sgtbriangreen_0311021843a.jpg

I guess ill put a pic of something I did. Not much of a shop, but I build 90% of my own crap. 110v hobart handler. It gets the job done.
Looks good man. I see the ol IFS yota is getting some rock sliders!

Guy crashes his 7' RC plane and wants to know if I can fix the exhaust with what I got;
It's 1/32" aluminum with the smoke generator internals, barely see fitting on side. So, I got my tig turned all the way to minimum, yes I coned and flat tipped the rod, ball forms after while per picture. I ground welds smooth, just like that look and think exhaust does better without stress risers. Pipes were ripped out, holes in it and tweaked - looking back I should have just built a completely new one, probably would have had less time in it.

Croatan Kid - put a coke can beside that thing, give me some reference for size, looks huge.
Jeff B - That's cool stuff to, i bet you got some heavy duty stuff built around your house witthe size scraps I bet get left over from work.

HA!! Scott I always thought you might be the type to carry a PINK pencil

A coke can? How about a forklift? :D Those pipe caps are about 5.5 foot tall when you stand them up. I think they might have gotten painted and shipped out already.

Looks good man. I see the ol IFS yota is getting some rock sliders!

It has gotten a whole lot more than that since you saw it. It has an extra cab on the regular cab frame, flatbelly, bobed the front of the bed, and the sliders.

Chris, I got two daughters, everything is pink or purple it seems. Went to Bass Pro one day for some lures, my wife started laughing, the lures were pink and purple, sub conscience habit now I guess?

I was more impressed by the clinicaly clean shop picture, was that equipment in a hospital or lab?

My welders are spread out over three locations, my big MIG and TIG I took to my main job as an aircraft mechanic, that is why I keep it clean, we have time for "home" projects when all the planes are gone. Looking thru that door is the hanger floor. My other MIGS, stick, plasma, torches and benders are at my "dirty" location.

Welding up a cracked dry sump pan for a unlimited late model tomorrow at "work".

Last edited:
Time to update this thread. I went by MarsFab and hung out with Chris for a bit last night. I snapped a few pics of the Green Sammi he's been building for Stuntman Autoworks. That thing is the most ridiculous Sammi I've ever seen. His quality of work is top notch and I wish so bad that I could take credit for these welds BUT I can't these are Chris'. Damn!

Side Note: These are NOT triggered welds. Those are just the work of a craftsman.
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_photo57_zpsd9923fc3.jpg

Overall shot of the cage on the Sammi for reference.
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_photo56_zps37195acc.jpg

These are the best I could muster up last night. This is a spring plate / lower shock tower I built for my buddy TJkrawler97.

Spring plates are 3/8". Tabs are 3/16" and gussets are 1/8". All done on my Millermatic 185 big frame welder.

Chris gave me a few things to adjust on my welder and it helped a ton.

ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_photo55_zpsfdeda01a.jpg

Last edited:
What's a triggered weld?

Alex I saw that Sammi last night. You need to post pics of those dimedrops you laid on that rear frame section. It turned out nice man!

Sent from the MarsFab Off Road mobile response unit.

These are the best I could muster up last night. This is a spring plate / lower shock tower I built for my buddy TJkrawler97.

Spring plates are 3/8". Tabs are 3/16" and gussets are 1/8". All done on my Millermatic 185 big frame welder.

Chris gave me a few things to adjust on my welder and it helped a ton.

ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_photo55_zpsfdeda01a.jpg
Thanks chad they look awesome, I cant wait to get some shocks mounted to them!

Alright so I know I'm gonna get bashed for this stupid question but it's actually a serious question. I learned back 6years ago how to weld when I bought my first miller 115 but never knew about gas, flux core or anything. SOOOO, I just started with regular wire non gas though and at it since. Years later when I started working at a shop some guy there said I was crazy but when he saw me weld some exhaust with his while gas was cut off, he was descently impressed so I just stuck with it. Nowadays, I weld my rear diffs all the time and have been with regular wire no gas and can do a descent looking weld but most importantly they hold up for years so my ??? is(probably stupid) would I benefit to switch to flux core wire. I know gas of course would but I wanted to try flux. Any better than what I'm doing with non flux no gas. I'll get pic up soon but really wanted some thoughts on this. (and I know I'm crazy and idiot for welding without gas and non flux wire but it works ok for me) just trying to extend my ability here....Thanks for any thoughts
and looking to upgrade to bigger 240 welder so I'm wanting to know for that purpose mainly.

Umm yes.... You definitely need to switch to flux core wire. Whether your non-gas welds hold forever or not, you're making a porous weld that really has no strength. I'd like to see pictures of these welds. All I can imagine is them looking like a sponge. How often are you replacing tips and nozzles on your welder?

Sent from the MarsFab Off Road mobile response unit.

i'm changing tips ever month or so and the trick I learned with welding like this is having to use more heat and hold together longer to really brighten up the weld. well, today i'm going to pick up one of those small rolls of flux and try it out. thanks
NOw, what's this I hear about having to switch the polarity? is that true?

Yes, for flux core you want to switch polarity on the weld leads

Back