Lawn and Landscape

I'm a lawn care newb so if you(or somebody) don't mind explaining a little more I'd appreciate it.

You say spray with round up and rake it out. Does that mean wait for it to die off and loosen the soil up with a rake?

Yes this exactly

When you say water do you mean run a sprinkler for an hour in the afternoon?

Need to keep it moist for at least a month, hopefully some rainfall in between your watering

You say fertilize to get going and fertilize twice in summer months. What kind of fert and do i just do July and August about 4 weeks apart? And do I apply the first fert with the grass seed or a couple days later?

First fertilization would be a starter fertilizer at the time of seeding, most people mix there seed and starter feet together in a bucket and spread because Bermuda seed is very small, I prefer a starter fert and lime mixed together in the same bag

2nd fertilization should be an all mineral 17-17-17, quick release, two weeks after you seed, water in

3rd fertilization should be a high nitrogen blend, 34-0-0 50% urea, 50% ammonium sulfate, three weeks after the 2nd

Hopefully you have some grass trying to establish and you can start putting some slow release fertilizers on, 50% slow release fertilizers typically last 8 weeks

After your grass is established you can go on a full program for weed control and other things

Thanks in advance for the help and sorry if they're noob questions but I know squat about growing grass.

Here are the very basics for lawn care:

Feb 15th-Mar 15th:
- Apply a pre-emergent weed and crabgrass control with fertilizer

Mar 15th-May 15th:
- Spray with weed killer any time to control weeds that are growing

Sept 15th-Sept 30th:
- Aerate
- Seed heavily and use straw on any bare spots
- Apply 'Starter' Fertilizer

Nov 15th-Dec 15th:
- Apply lime
- Apply Winterizer fertilizer

Here are the very basics for lawn care:

Feb 15th-Mar 15th:
- Apply a pre-emergent weed and crabgrass control with fertilizer

Mar 15th-May 15th:
- Spray with weed killer any time to control weeds that are growing

Sept 15th-Sept 30th:
- Aerate
- Seed heavily and use straw on any bare spots
- Apply 'Starter' Fertilizer

Nov 15th-Dec 15th:
- Apply lime
- Apply Winterizer fertilizer
And read back through this entire thread because there's good info all the way through.

Miss having a yard to take care of! As much work as it is, it’s extremely satisfying and rewarding! Can’t wait to get back to NC!

Not even the best section.
cb507c2157484c569fa673ffeba1416b.jpg

Seriously, I want to figure that out.
What do you mow with? Of course a walk behind or Lazer Z is easier to stripe with but can be done with a rider...to an extent.
First off decide if you want diagonal stripes or horizontal/vertical stripes. I usually like my stripes to be only two directions at 90 degree angles to each other.
In the case of this yard pictured set your first stripe up to be right alongside the edge of that center bed and mow straight thru the yard to the other side. The turn around without making a big loop, it may take backing up a couple times and come right back beside the first strip, go around the bed but not 360 degrees, just 180 and then continue straight to where you started the first stripe. Then continue doing that Until you're done.
To set up original direction, start at the rear of the house and try to be straight off of house for vertical/horizontal. If setting up for diagonal, measure off a square of about 30' in one corner of the yard. Mark it some way and start your stripe from that using each diagonal corner as a starting point and work off of that.
This all sounds very clear to me, lol hope it makes sense to you!

What do you mow with?
One of these. Basically a Hustler without LED lights, a different fuel control panel and a longer warranty (and much cheaper as a leftover when I bought it).
It makes sense and my lines are decent in the front yard (a lot more rectangular open space to deal with). Would one of those mud flap things help to make the grass lay in opposite directions?
97b7ad90037663dccc11244ce8c7c85f.jpg

What do you mow with? Of course a walk behind or Lazer Z is easier to stripe with but can be done with a rider...to an extent.
First off decide if you want diagonal stripes or horizontal/vertical stripes. I usually like my stripes to be only two directions at 90 degree angles to each other.
In the case of this yard pictured set your first stripe up to be right alongside the edge of that center bed and mow straight thru the yard to the other side. The turn around without making a big loop, it may take backing up a couple times and come right back beside the first strip, go around the bed but not 360 degrees, just 180 and then continue straight to where you started the first stripe. Then continue doing that Until you're done.
To set up original direction, start at the rear of the house and try to be straight off of house for vertical/horizontal. If setting up for diagonal, measure off a square of about 30' in one corner of the yard. Mark it some way and start your stripe from that using each diagonal corner as a starting point and work off of that.
This all sounds very clear to me, lol hope it makes sense to you!

The piece that you didnt mention is the stripping kit for the mower. You really need something between the tires to lay the grass down/

One of these. Basically a Hustler without LED lights, a different fuel control panel and a longer warranty (and much cheaper as a leftover when I bought it).
It makes sense and my lines are decent in the front yard (a lot more rectangular open space to deal with). Would one of those mud flap things help to make the grass lay in opposite directions?
97b7ad90037663dccc11244ce8c7c85f.jpg
You can stripe without a striping kit on your mower, just learn to keep the lines straight. Look straight ahead at an object on your first pass and don't look away until you're at the end and see how straight it is.

Just walked (behind the spreader) everything that needed pre-emergent in about an hour.

We'll see how it's looking in 8 weeks... :beer:

Looks like chemical burn to me. What has been done lately? Did you possibly overlap too much with fert and pre em (or slowed down a LOT in that area while spreading) or have you just applied 24d on a warm sunny day?

I must have overlapped there when I broadcast fert/pre em where the adjacent mulched area narrows. :(

I must have overlapped there when I broadcast fert/pre em where the adjacent mulched area narrows. :(
Overlapping is good butif you slow down a lot to be careful around an area then the fert get's too concentrated and/or spilled. You should get some Activated Charcoal to remedy the situation. Using Activated Charcoal to Inactivate Agricultural Chemical Spills SiteOne has it usually.
You may be able to seed after but you would be better off to buy some fescue sod, dig this area up and patch in sod for the season. Sod has no shelf life so be wary of Lowes or Home Depot sod. Supersod is in most larger cities.
EDIT: Also I keep a ground speed of very close to 4mph when spreading fert with a broadcast spreader. The pre em will not hurt your flowers and shrubs at the rate that you use on your lawn so if you're spreading, walk fast and when you're turning around or stopping, shut that spreader off.

Ya, I tried to keep up the pace and shut off the gate on the spreader when I had to slow down for any reason but <shrug> I guess it still happened.

Thanks for the advice, I'll get back by site one and look into charcoal and maybe sod...

There are a couple of places by the driveway that the UPS guy tore up to fix, too. :kaioken:

I have to say, the reason I like this thread so much and always try to answer whenever I see a question or problem is that I deal with a LOT of ASKHOLES, I.E., friends and neighbors who ask my professional opinion but then do it their way or ask the guy at Home Depot. They ask but then disregard what I tell them with my lifetime of experience and go with a rookie or what they think may be better than what I said.
You guys are appreciative and listen and at least try what myself and a couple of others on here with knowledge are saying.
NC4X4 has a ton of experience in about everything you need with real life answers from people who have been there.

Back