Lots of interesting news today

copy and paste?

behind a paywall
Odd, it wasn't for me.

Skip to content

Shop Owner Who Paid Ex-Worker in Pennies Is Ordered to Pay More​

A federal judge issued a consent judgment that requires the auto shop owner to pay more than $39,000 for retaliating against the former worker and for failing to pay overtime to employees.

A black plastic can holds a mound of pennies next to the stain on the driveway where they had been left.

A former employee received a pile of oil-coated pennies as his final payment from an auto-repair shop in 2021. A judge’s order in a federal lawsuit means the shop owner has to pay again.Credit...Olivia Oxley/Olivia Oxley, via Associated Press
Christine Hauser
By Christine Hauser
June 20, 2023
A court in Georgia has ordered the owner of an auto-repair shop who disbursed a former employee’s wages with about 91,500 greasy pennies left in his driveway to pay nearly $40,000 in back pay and damages. The judgment said that the shop owner retaliated against the worker, who had asked for his final paycheck, and that he failed to pay overtime to the man and eight other employees.
Judge Timothy C. Batten Sr., of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia, issued the order in a lawsuit brought by the federal Department of Labor in 2021 against Miles Walker, the owner of A OK Walker Luxury Autoworks in Peachtree City, Ga. The claim alleged that Mr. Walker retaliated against Andreas Flaten, an employee, after Mr. Flaten reported that he had not been paid final wages of $915 after he resigned, a statement from the Labor Department said.
“Investigators learned that Walker later paid the former employee’s final wages of $915 by delivering about 91,500 oil-covered pennies and a pay stub marked with an expletive to the worker’s home,” the Labor Department said. He also published “defamatory statements” about the former employee on the company’s website.

The consent judgment, which is based on an agreement between the parties, required Mr. Walker to refrain from intimidating and retaliating against former or current employees. It ordered Mr. Walker to remove photographs of Mr. Flaten and references to him from the company’s website and social media, and to post a copy of the consent judgment and federal rules against workplace retaliation in his facility.

Andreas Flaten with the pennies that were left in his driveway by his former employer in March 2021.Credit...Coinstar
The judgment also said that Mr. Walker violated federal overtime provisions by paying employees normal pay rates when overtime was legally required. It requires him to pay back wages and damages for a total of $39,934.18 to the nine employees.
The Department of Labor’s regional solicitor, Tremelle Howard, said the order sent a “clear message” to employers about unfair wage practices, intimidation and retaliation.
“By law, worker engagement with the U.S. Department of Labor is a protected activity,” she said in the statement. “Workers should not fear harassment or intimidation in the workplace.”
Cade Parian and Ryan Farmer of Parian Lawyers, who represented Mr. Walker, said in a statement on Tuesday that Mr. Walker wanted to stay focused on running his small business.

“This behavior is not indicative of Miles Walker’s true character as a businessman and he looks forward to putting this issue behind him and getting back to work,” the statement said.
The case attracted national attention in March 2021, when Mr. Flaten’s girlfriend posted a photograph on Instagram showing the mound of pennies that had been dumped at the end of his driveway.
On top of the mound was a pay stub and an envelope scrawled with an expletive.
In December 2021, the Department of Labor filed the lawsuit accusing Mr. Walker of violating federal labor law after Mr. Flaten reported to the department that he had not received his final paycheck for $915.
Mr. Walker said that his shop had issued the paycheck but that “it never made it to the mail,” the lawsuit said. He then told a Labor Department representative that he would not pay it, according to the lawsuit, but finally decided to do so in pennies.
“I’ve got plenty of pennies; I’ll use them,” Mr. Walker said then, according to the lawsuit.
“I’m happy that justice was served,” Mr. Flaten said in an interview with Atlanta News First on Monday. “I firmly believe in karma now.”

Christine Hauser is a reporter, covering national and foreign news. Her previous jobs in the newsroom include stints in Business covering financial markets and on the Metro desk in the police bureau. @ChristineNYT

Advertisement
Continue reading the main story

Site Index​

Site Information Navigation​

Any one else been following this the past few days, or have you all been making sub memes? This has the potential to be huge. How insane would it be if Wagner essentially defects and joins Ukraine against Putin?

curious what's really going on here
Good question. Is he a nurse that just snapped and went deviant (tested one and then following through with killing two old ladies)? Or, is it possible he was assisting end of life on a voluntary basis?

I'm sure this case will have additional coverage as details emerge. Either way, dude is going to see the inside of a prison for a while.

Yall ain't seen the movie yet, huh?

Ebonics news ?
"The owner of the home ... the house that they ran into ... stated that when they came outside ... that her son and the other surviving young lady that was in the car went over to my daughter to tried to see if there was anything that they could do to help her," Wyand said. "But she was already gone."

Doesn't seem very ebonics-y to me.

I don't know what answers they are searching for though.
1. She wasn't wearing a seatbelt.
2. She rode in a Charger with someone she didn't know
3. That someone was a 26 year old dude hanging out with 19 year old chicks
4. They were going fast enough to jump a ditch, excavate more dirt in 0.1 seconds with the bumper of a charger than I could move in 5 minutes with my skidsteer, and then throw bodies and a car into the second story of a house.
5. If it's predictable, it's preventable.

"The owner of the home ... the house that they ran into ... stated that when they came outside ... that her son and the other surviving young lady that was in the car went over to my daughter to tried to see if there was anything that they could do to help her," Wyand said. "But she was already gone."

Doesn't seem very ebonics-y to me.

I don't know what answers they are searching for though.
1. She wasn't wearing a seatbelt.
2. She rode in a Charger with someone she didn't know
3. That someone was a 26 year old dude hanging out with 19 year old chicks
4. They were going fast enough to jump a ditch, excavate more dirt in 0.1 seconds with the bumper of a charger than I could move in 5 minutes with my skidsteer, and then throw bodies and a car into the second story of a house.
5. If it's predictable, it's preventable.
I'm really curious about the forensics of this accident. From what I can gather the car launched into the side of the house, and she was launched out and into the window? It implies she went through the window but then she was outside, maybe just smacked it then landed.... but how in the world does somebody in the back seat of a Charger get launched out? And most of the crumple is the back of the car? It must have taken a lot of tumbles or something

Would you spend a year locked in a 1700 sq ft Mars simulator for $60k?
that’s a big hell no for me.
well at least it's be 100% profit bc you'd have no other expenses.
But still a hard pass.
$10/hr doesn't seem like enough to give up contact w/ everybody.

My bet is the costs and payment scheme were settled 2-3 years ago before wage inflation was so bad.

Back