LQ4 install

Did you try taking that extra tin/metal strip that is pushed on the edge of the mag part? That should give you a little more room for a fatter bead.

finally got my ECM and harness back from Jim's. Damn, what a difference! at least 65% of the wires are gone. Each wire is labeled for easy hooking up. Cool!

Well, lots has been done, a little here, little there and not all on the LQ4...

made the engine mounts, ready to weld to the frame now.
I was having problems fitting my radiator so I removed the winch and the mount and it looks like my radiator will fit if I lean it back some and re-work the inlet and outlet angles. No big deal. I was having problems with the 4 link in the front as the tires were hitting the lowers and the uppers were too short and ....

attachment.php

Well, I cut it all loose and will be running a 3 link with panhard instead. This allows enough room to fit the winch behind the radiator. The front of the chassis is at ride eight (relative to the axle) so I have enough clearance for everything between it and the frame/winch/etc.

attachment.php

The rear of the chassis was completely re-worked the previous setup was crap and I didn't like it at all. I like this much better. The cell is 16 gallon. It should go about 4" lower and 6" more towards the front. I'll finalize it once the rear axle shows up and I can set the rear suspension up.
I'm sure I'm missing something on the build...

attachment.php

Rob

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 694
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 710
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 793
I guess its time for an update...
Pic shows the suspension at full bump. It'll be up about 6" more when I air up the shocks :)
suspension completely installed, fuel cell installed, wheels and tires installed, trans, TC, and engine installed, radiator installed and plumbed, steering installed, rebuilt front and rear axles
Next: finish the fan shroud, add some bracing, mount pedals and sheet metal, wiring, hydraulic hoses, fuel lines, install axle gears and driveshafts, install lights and winch.
list is getting shorter. :)
Oh yeah, paint and stickers :D

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 606
Looking good, Rob.

Looks like you need some of those rim stiffeners you've been pimping on PBB. :p

I guess its time for an update...
Pic shows the suspension at full bump. It'll be up about 6" more when I air up the shocks :)
suspension completely installed, fuel cell installed, wheels and tires installed, trans, TC, and engine installed, radiator installed and plumbed, steering installed, rebuilt front and rear axles
Next: finish the fan shroud, add some bracing, mount pedals and sheet metal, wiring, hydraulic hoses, fuel lines, install axle gears and driveshafts, install lights and winch.
list is getting shorter. :)
Oh yeah, paint and stickers :D

wait, your running airshocks? and your trying to do KOH :lol:

Worked on the buggy some yesterday...

Damn O rings on the H1 wheels won't seal up. Started the day with 12 O rings and ended the day with 3 tires holding air and no more O rings :shaking:

So, I'll order some more and try 1 size smaller to see if it fits a little better.

Needed to mount the winch and have a "bumper" so this is what I came up with. Still running the old Humvee winch unless I come across something else for a good deal.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 538
Looking good, Rob.
Looks like you need some of those rim stiffeners you've been pimping on PBB. :p

Yep. I've been secretely hoping I'd find some Trailreadys or something for cheap so I've been holding off on the stiffeners, etc. Thats and easy add on for later if need be. I want the H1s more for trail use and not so much for go-fast use, so been looking for some 16.5" TRs or something

I now mine sure didn't like going fast for very long....they got hot and wanted to extend all the way out after a few miles. Wonder if you could make them remote resevior somehow?

that would be cool. I haven't really looked into doing this but it may be something worth checking out

looks nice. give me a shout if you need any stickers made. we have a graphics business and can print and cut up to 54 inches wide.

about the only stickers I'll need at the moment are vehicle number decals. I'm hoping to get a wrap made with most of what I need in it (without the vehicle number)

if someone aint sponsoring you with a wrap let me know. i mite be able to save you lots of cash depending on who you have print them for you.

I measured it today.

The belly clearance at full bump is 22" with the 47" LTBs and the top of the cage is at 6'3". Not too bad height-wise. I'll prob. put the shocks at 6" in the front and 7" in the rear for the high speed stuff. So, that'll put the belly clearance at about 28" and a total height of 6'9" at ride heigh for KOH LCQ

I now mine sure didn't like going fast for very long....they got hot and wanted to extend all the way out after a few miles. Wonder if you could make them remote resevior somehow?

I talked to Ballistic today. They are working on an air shock with a remote reservoir :)

During the high speed stuff, how hot does the body of the shock get when it starts to fade, etc. and get useless at speed?

Man, with that kind of unsprung weight and as big as your chassis itself will be...air shocks don't stand a chance. Maybe foa will cut you a deal on a set of remote resi's? Otherwise, time to take out another credit card. :flipoff2:

Man, with that kind of unsprung weight and as big as your chassis itself will be...air shocks don't stand a chance. Maybe foa will cut you a deal on a set of remote resi's? Otherwise, time to take out another credit card. :flipoff2:

Actually, I'm working on a deal with a company on some shocks that are new and still somewhat in the testing stage :)

we'll see how that turns out. Yeah, if I find some coilovers or whatever for cheap, I'll run em. Otherwise, air shocks it is :D Maybe I'll just have the spare set in the pit and change them out when the first set fades... :lol:

well, broke down and finally picked up a decent MIG welder along with some AL options and 2 full 330cuft bottles of Ar and CO2/Ar

I should be able to get some work done now :D

this week will be sheet metal and some finishing touches. next week and weekend I'll tear down for paint and re-assembly, hopefully for the DPG open ride on Jan 16 :)

Back