LQ4 install

sorry to hear it did not work out..

there is always next year :)

Yup, if you get started building a new one now you might can have it done next year :)

Hope I don't run into the same problem with no testing time before the March 20th race. Bummer you didn't get to go, that would have been a blast. Why'd you load it on the trailer THEN decide not to go?

Yeah, it was a real bummer.

Well, working on the rig and driving it around it was like the elephant in the room. nobody wanted to talk about it as we had worked really hard to get it where it was and we were still wanting to go really bad

once on the road (really late), reality easily set in that we were really far behind and limited on time. Once there, we'd have very little to no time to pre-run with what we had left to tinker with. It wasn't the decision any of us wanted but it was the smartest decision.

I made it about an hour out of town and when I pulled off to refuel, I was forced to make the decision to keep going west or head back east. Literally, I was stopped on the median at the exit contemplating on what to do :lol:

I would like to thank a few people that helped out along the way...

Dan at Ruffstuff that came through with some killer diff covers.
Dave from Oliver's Driveshaft that fabricated and mailed me driveshafts the same day so I could get rolling
Scott at Mudpro that was constantly making random parts for me at the drop of a hat
Chase at ECGS that installed my gears the day after I called and for quick shipping and prices on parts
Ed (ncfordguy) that spent endless hours helping to completely wire the buggy without a harness while I was working on other items.
Mike (mcjeep) that designed and installed a killer wrap for the buggy!
to everyone else that helped along the way, thank you. If I've forgotten anyone, let me know.

And, mostly to my pregnant wife that had to put up with me in the garage for hours on end for the last couple of months. She supported everyting I was doing and encouraged me when I was frustrated or disappointed. She also helped with parts hunting and never complained (well, rarely)

Well I can't wait to see it in person. It might seem like a let down now, but it's better to have a goal and not make it, then never to have tried.

Like Brandon said, it sucks not to go but at least the buggy is mostly finished. Just some minor glitches to work out and it should be ready for a while. Plus with meeting the safety rules, I feel the buggy is pretty safe as compared to how it would have previously been.

yeah. The hood wasn't finished yet due to time constraints for leaving. But, once we get the wrap on the hood, I'll post pics. Its sweet and Mike (mcjeep) did a great job. He now has a vinyl printer to do wraps for any type of vehicles (boats, RVs, buggy, tow rigs, etc.) and has great skills to do just about any type of graphic work. Also, he can also do banners as well :)

I have been working with him for some time with vinyl cut decals and shirts and has done great work. With the addition of the vinyl printer, it was natural that I'd use him for a wrap for the buggy. He even drove 2 + hours to install and stayed until after 2am installing! Great customer service!

Sorry you didn't make it Rob but it is awesome that it is almost completely done. We'll have to go ride as soon as I get mine put back together. It has only been about 15 years since that has happened.

Sorry you didn't make it Rob but it is awesome that it is almost completely done. We'll have to go ride as soon as I get mine put back together. It has only been about 15 years since that has happened.

Yeah. I think last time we actually wheeled together was with my Bronco in Tellico...

When is yours expected to be done? Linking the front and upgrading the motor, right?

Damn dude sorry to hear it give me a call I'll come and help you finish up the hood for you and help with whatever else you need.

I'll be working on it this weekend to get it squared away for Mt. City and the upcoming DPG open ride

waiting on a few more parts to come in too :)

decided to snap a pic or 2 of the buggy in the driveway today. Its a little higher than I want to run. Just a little adjusting of the shocks and it'll be a little lower. Should be lower by about 3"

driver's body panel isn't on but you can see a little of the wrap on the back of the buggy.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 457
Took the buggy out today for a good test. Only damage report after about 15 miles of pretty good testing were quite a few front wheel studs. Apparently I forgot to tighten all of the front lug nuts which resulted in 75% of them breaking and the rest of them bending :(

only other issue that was really noticed was that the trans overheated a little. That happened at the same time I smelled brakes. Come to find out, about halfway through the day the rear brakes locked up and were literally smoking for like 10 minutes. Once I let them cool, no other problems with them or the transmission for the remainder of the day.

Now I need to find out why they locked up and fix that along with the wheel studs and I'll be good to go until I find the next little issue :)

Back