LQ4 install

BADDASS Lookin Rig...!! Good Luck with it out West, Rob...!!!

Thanks all.

4lbs of petroleum jelly in the oil pump worked! That, and 10 quarts of oil in the pan :D

Thanks Brandon!

The wrap is getting made and should be installed Sunday as long as the installer can make his way through 1" of snow on the roads :D

Wanted to be testing today but this little oiling issue slowed me down. Should/hope to be driving and testing Sunday afternoon :)

Only major items left to do is to bleed the brakes, install the diff covers and add oil to the D300 and the axles and figure out why the steering reservoir is leaking.

Big thanks to Ed (NCFordguy) for pretty much laying out and installing the entire electrical system from scratch without a harness.

Is the res. a PSC unit?

no, its a Rob Klinger special :D

somewhat tested it for leaks but one of my bungs that I was thinking I (when I was installing) should run another weld pass, is leaking...

damn aluminum welding is a PITA

Ah, another late night but its getting pretty close. 90% wiring done, 90% brakes bleed, steering fixed, and nothing but a driver's seat and floorboards to bolt in and she's ready :D Oh, stil waiting on that damn Northwest Fab D300 shifter for 3 weeks :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, window nets to install, a couple of fire extinguishers, and my link nuts to tighten. The light at the end of the tunnel is def. getting brighter.

Obviously, I'd like to take a little time to clean up and organize the wiring and make it a little neater in the future, but it works and thats all that counts at this point.

No, haven't done dyno. However, when I run it for a few minutes I can tell that it "learns" itself and starts to run better. This is only after I turn off the master kill switch and the computer forgets what it just learned. However, that master kill is for emergency use only and will always be on so the computer doesn't have to re-learn.

It sounds good in the garage. It has glasspacks on it at this moment due to fitting the exhaust in VERY tight locations. In the future I'd like to get a good muffler shop (or myeself) to run some nice stainless pipe and a nice 2 chamber Flowmaster if I can find a place for it. About the only good place for a muffler is under the gas tank but things are so tight up under there that it would be within 2" of the tank and I really don't want to heat the fuel up with the muffler. So, I chose to install the glass pack under the pass. seat, I mean within 1/2" under the seat! :D HEATED SEATS!!! :lol:

Leaving Thursday no later than 5pm from Greenville.

Buggy is completely wired except the front winch, which is really easy and mostly done.

D300 shifter finally showed up today :rolleyes: So, I guess I'll be installing that tonight along with the driver's seat and the tail lights and she'll be ready to go. :)

Packing tomorrow and heading out when finished. Gotta head to Washingtion to pick up the trailer and 2nd rig in the morning.

ever get to do any testing? See yall out there.

Good Luck & have a Safe Trip Rob...:driver:

Kick Butt in Cali...!!!

no testing yet :D

Everything is pretty simple. Only issue I forsee is something with cooling or suspension. Trans, axles, TC, engine are all pretty run of the mill...

Well, after no sleep for more than 48 hours and endless $$$ spent that I don't want to count, we decided to throw in the towel on the trip.

I gave 110% on the buld and while its running good and up on the trailer, we feel that there is just too much risk to justify spending the $$$ and time to go out there with an untested and un-tuned rig. There are some known issues that need to be adjusted and fixed that will just take too long to do on the lakebed to make it competitive.

I had some good help and I appreciate all the folks that came together at the last minute to help out. It would not be where it is without you.

We'll use the next few weeks to adjust what we need to and have it ready for the DPG even Feb 27, then race ready for the first 2010 ECORS event March 20.

Maybe next year.

Back