LQ4 install

Been working on sheet metal the past day or 2 plus a few other little odds and ends...

The hood is narrowed about 6" or so, 3" off the back and 3" off of the sides. The height of the hood allows good enough room for my intake, thankfully. I was worried I wasn't going to fit the filter anywhere. The grill is the remnants of a stainless one I drew up and had cut for my old front end. I ended up modifying it to fit my new tube work in the front. Cowl area is all aluminum and finished up. interior sheet metal is mostly done except floorboard for passenger and rear firewall. Waiting on a few more brackets and tabs to show up so I can get those mounted before I tear down for paint :)

engine, trans, TC are all in there and mounted up. F body oil pan is in there. Boy was that a PITA. Had to take the windage tray on, off, on, off, more than several times to modify it and get it to fit. Then, the motor mount support I fabricated to go under the oil pan to help support the front of the skid plate was in the way for the F body oil pan, so I had to cut that off and re-do that... Seems like there is always something.

Anyway, its coming along.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 682
well, I guess its close enough to the race I can post a pic without anyone stealing all of my secrets :flipoff2:

:D

All thats left is wiring, driveshafts, and plumbing. Cutting it close but it'll be done :)

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 692
A little more work done. Brakes hooked up, pass seat in, harnesses in, dash mostly in, GPSs in, all lights in, about 30% of the wiring.
Most of whats left are little things that just need to be wrapped up.
Headed to the exhaust shop Tuesday before I finish putting the floor and firewall in.
Heres a pic of the interior at the moment. With the 2 GPS units, I don't think I'll get lost :D

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 619
I know it's a pita to take and upload pictures, but come on... two??

What gps units did you go with?

And race rig or not, it is going to make a awesome buggy for the trails afterwards.

I'll take a few more pics. the camera battery was low so I didn't take too many. Maybe I'll do a little more tomorrow while its at the exhaust shop.

I have a Lowrance lms339 so I decided to just use that. Then, I decided to break down and buy a HDS 5 Baja from PCI :)

I used some 16ga expanded metal for the roof. I wanted aluminum but I ran out of enough to do it and was in a hurry to get something on there to meet the rules and this was had local and was super easy to install. Nothing a 28oz deadblow can't cure to get it to bend around the tube a little. Yes, its welded to the cage at about every inch or so.

Wiring isn't quite done yet so the floor boards aren't completely installed. Plus the exhaust is getting done Tuesday afternoon so I left the floors out for ease of install.

Hydraulic lines are mostly done, brake lines are mostly done. Just gotta get the banjo adapters Tuesday and they'll be ready to bleed.

Driveshafts should be in Tuesday afternoon and Tuesday evening I should have the gears completed.

Then all thats left is touch up the wiring, install oil accumulator, window nets, and new O-rings on the H1 wheels.

Should be testing this weekend and installing a wrap if I can get it done in time :D

No luck yet finding shocks or tires?

When are you hitting the road?

I found some shocks but didn't really like the $$$ so I opted to just go with what I had.

I have a second set of 47LTBs but they are 17" rim. So, unless I get lucky and find some 16.5" ones, I'm taking the 17" rim ones and putting them on a 17" rim. I'll use a couple of tubes as spares if I can't get the 16.5" ones back together enough to hold air.

We also have a set of 42" or 49" Iroks that I can run if I want.

I still have to add some bracing on the axle end of the panhard mount to give me some piece of mind.

I bent the panhard to fit around the diff and at full compression it barely touches the diff but its at full compression for both shocks which will more than likely not happen. If so, the bump stop I add will take care of it :) If I had to do the panhard again, I'd change it a little. Mostly I'd incorporate the axle bracket with the upper link bracket. But, with the VERY LIMITED space I had up there, I was lucky to get it all to fit and work like I wanted.

The upper link mount, at full compression has about .001" clearance on the steering ram arm. However, the yoke end will hit. This is because the suspension was fabricated with a 2" ram on there and I changed to a 2.5" ram. So, I will be lowering the ram down just a tad to make sure it clears at full compression. Once again, this is only happens when both sides are fully compressed which will likely not happen often or for very long so its prob. a mute point.

at full droop, the panhard pulls the axle to the passenger side about 2" as compared to full compression. I guess I measured right because there is about 1/2" clearance between the driver's shock and the frame at full droop :)

Well, enough chit chat. Time to head back into the garage and get the rest of the parts on this buggy :)

looking good. where are you going to test at?

I'm not trying to be a hater...just a helper. Unless you've got really badass shafts and joints in your axles, I'd be running 42's.

I know. The axles aren't anything super special. I'll prob. just run the 47s right now (at least for pre-running/testing) and then the 42s if we don't like the 47s. The 49s will be a last resort if we run out of tire sets :D

I have several sets of axles if necessary. The RCVs were just too much for me to justify right now with the chromo shafts I have and the several spares I have, althought I know I need them to be much less worried about axle carnage. RCVs will be in the future after I re-coupe from the $$$ to get ready for KOH

OH yeah, we cranked it today :D Tomorrow will be finishing up the fluids, little odds and ends, and will be driving it around

Damn, finally I see the light at the end of the tunnel!

OH yeah, we cranked it today :D Tomorrow will be finishing up the fluids, little odds and ends, and will be driving it around
Damn, finally I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
Congrats.
Now make sure you don't break anything before we get out there. :D

Hopefully everything will work out great. Most of what I have is nothing more than what others are doing and I've set up much of my components like others have. So, hopefully I won't have too many little bugs to work out before we leave. Either way, we are leaving anywyay and will deal with it out there unless its something major.

Back