Mall Crawling Racer...... #4410

Move radiator to behind b pillar? Above anything in "bed" area and would allow a radiator as wide as your cage @ b pillars, tons more fluid capacity to system, and allow you to run dual puller fans.

This would free up some up travel room, as I know my tie rod and front diff gets close to bottom of radiator at full bump.

Just an idea.

What are your current IAT's? Maybe moving the air filter to a cooler location?

Not a bad idea, it's one I've considered. I'm really tight on room and it would probably need to go in cab. That I believe would be a fairly large project. But not impossible.

Move radiator to behind b pillar? Above anything in "bed" area and would allow a radiator as wide as your cage @ b pillars, tons more fluid capacity to system, and allow you to run dual puller fans.

This would free up some up travel room, as I know my tie rod and front diff gets close to bottom of radiator at full bump.

Just an idea.

I think I'm getting pretty close to my radiator at full bump as well. I've thought about moving the radiator to the back, but was trying to keep the rear open. But right now, top focus is a car that won't overheat, so bumping it to the B pillar is an option. I think I'd rather cut up the front though.

Not a bad idea, it's one I've considered. I'm really tight on room and it would probably need to go in cab. That I believe would be a fairly large project. But not impossible.

I think I'm getting pretty close to my radiator at full bump as well. I've thought about moving the radiator to the back, but was trying to keep the rear open. But right now, top focus is a car that won't overheat, so bumping it to the B pillar is an option. I think I'd rather cut up the front though.
Flip the intake backwards and run it into the cab. Downside is it's loud as hell.

Think twice about the in cab on the intake, the noise will drive you batsh!t crazy!

Tires-

If I'm staying DOT, I'll run the Hankooks (they are the closest I've found to stickies that are still DOT). However, if I go stickies, are there noticeable advantages of a KRT-B vs a Trep Comp? Both come in 37"s. All the reviews I'm finding are pretty polar- people either love or claim they blow out with a whisper.

my suggestions are: upgrade your brakes, have as big as possible coolers for tranny and engine, run atleast 39 tires.. those rocks are big out there and brace the shit out of everything.. where cage bars meet, where shocks supports attach, frame areas that could fail. then take your jeep to harlan or windrock and beat the shit out of it about 2 months prior to the race and see what fails and then spend next 2 months fixing and going threw everything..

Tires-

If I'm staying DOT, I'll run the Hankooks (they are the closest I've found to stickies that are still DOT). However, if I go stickies, are there noticeable advantages of a KRT-B vs a Trep Comp? Both come in 37"s. All the reviews I'm finding are pretty polar- people either love or claim they blow out with a whisper.

That is any tire review. BFG's seem to live if you run them at a higher PSI. Same as the Goodyears. No doubt the sidewalls of the Maxxis is stronger, but anything can be destroyed in racing conditions. Comparing them all IMO is a crapshoot and pure opinion. Run whatever someone will give you a deal on if you are looking for a tire sponsor. That is just the way I look at it.

I have a set of 37 and 40" sticky Treps in my shop as well as a set of 39 Krawlers. There is no comparison to the side wall and bead differences. The Treps are much, much thicker compared to the BFGs.
The only downsides to the Treps are cost and weight. Both of those items are substantially more than the Krawlers.

Another option for cooler is to get an oil cooler for the engine, and mount it in the rear with a fan. with a true heat exchanger, it can get the oil temps down which is a main concern. Maybe also swapping the Volvo fan for a setup that can pull more CFM. If youre only overheating at slow speeds, I don't think your winch is an issue.

You could also look at running some race only stuff, like a 2nd radiator/cooler in the rear that comes out when not racing. Also a full hydro steering setup that is swapped back to the box when not racing. There is a thread on Pirate about go fast steering and what others have done.

If you are wanting a shorter 39, the Falken's are a shorter tire, and ppl have said good things about the Nittos, which are still a street tire. To mean, it just makes sense to have 2 sets of tires. As said though, I think with your wb, 37s would be fine. maybe increase the belly height a few inches to compensate? Biggest downside to the wb is the waterfalls, but idk how much a few inches will really get you.

Jay asked me to post some tire sizes for reference.
The 37 Trep is mounted, at 25 psi and on a 4125# Ranger. It shows approx 1/2 wear.
The other 2 are unmounted. The Krawler is brand new and the Trep has 3 laps at KOH on it:D
IMG_20150922_165318504.jpg
IMG_20150922_165344000.jpg
IMG_20150922_165415637.jpg

How is this for interesting:

37" Hankook mounted on a 17x8.5 at 23psi. 36 1/4":

image.jpg

Definitely want to try to get some more airflow over the radiator so consider different fan setup, I think the ford/mercury version of the fans do move more air with larger blades. Also may be able to work in a slightly larger dual pass radiator with dual 1.25 cores (I would imagine that advance adapters one is dual 1" core). This will give more coolant capacity as well.

Someone mentioned a engine oil cooler and that is a very good idea, there are a number of adapter plates out there that have AN feeds for a oil cooler off the filter housing.

Master cylinder upgrade is a very good idea. We can take some pressure readings at the calipers to see what you are getting now and go from there. That will also help in determining booster efficiency. You probably don't have air in the lines, but the smaller master cylinder trying to fill large calipers will lead to a low/soft pedal due to lack of volume. Depending on Brake pad composition you may be loosing stopping power due to fade if you stay on the brakes while on obstacles. Master cylinder upgrade, some fresh motul or brembo high temp fluid and maybe some carbotech pads and it will stop on a dime every time.

We put a set of the 39" KRT-B's on Brian's JK and they are awesome. Another thing to consider on tires is weight. I have no idea what the weight of the Treps are but I've been told they are heavy.

I'm not too concerned with weight, as long as it falls in the ranges I'm finding (80lbs to 95lbs). I feel like it will work with my application, obviously I want light, but sidewall thickness (attributed to weight) is key too. Problem I'm having is finding krt-b's in a 37"- I've been calling around and they haven't been produced in a bit is what I was told.

Currently the only sticky tire I can find are 37 Krawlers and 37" Treps.

Funny question, but what is the smallest 39" sticky? I've heard guys complain about certain 39"s measuring short, which actually might work for me. I saw a 39"x13.50" Krt-s this weekend and it was pretty big, certainly too big for my setup. But a 39" that measure 37" or so could be an option. Just having a conversation, exploring at this point.

Regarding the pictures I posted- my first 4 or 5 passes the nose of the 4550 was diving pretty bad. Wayne kept adjusting the shocks, explaining that we want the nose high going through the whoops- pretty cool to see it react to the changes.

I'm not too concerned with weight, as long as it falls in the ranges I'm finding (80lbs to 95lbs). I feel like it will work with my application, obviously I want light, but sidewall thickness (attributed to weight) is key too. Problem I'm having is finding krt-b's in a 37"- I've been calling around and they haven't been produced in a bit is what I was told.

Currently the only sticky tire I can find are 37 Krawlers and 37" Treps.

Funny question, but what is the smallest 39" sticky? I've heard guys complain about certain 39"s measuring short, which actually might work for me. I saw a 39"x13.50" Krt-s this weekend and it was pretty big, certainly too big for my setup. But a 39" that measure 37" or so could be an option. Just having a conversation, exploring at this point.

Did you call Jackson Motorsports in Greeneville, SC?

Testing a level 5 hair gel. It's more than likely not going to pass FDA regulations, so I can't advertise the brand. 17 chimpanzees have already died testing the product. Not because of poison, but because of the female monkey sex attacks.

This stuff is legit.

image.jpg

Here's a video from the whoops section, multiple passes later and I didn't lose a single hair spike. I also practiced 3 different interviews and felt like they were spot on.

Vid courtesy of Ty June.

Back