NC4X4 Hunting and Fishing

Well shot one tonight… but it was high and back. Went 25 yards and backed out.

Shot him for 30 and he was 25-26 yards
Man what bow are you shooting that 4-5yds makes that kind of difference? I used the same pin for 20 and 30. I had two up there but they were so close I couldn't hardly see around them.
65 lb. prime but I’m shootings 550 grain arrows.

But regardless I didn’t make the shot I should have, it was a weird angle and offside shot outta my tree saddle

But regardless I didn’t make the shot I should have, it was a weird angle and offside shot outta my tree saddle
Don’t feel bad. I rushed the shot on the biggest buck I’ve ever put in my sights about a week ago. He was on the move about 150 away. Missed him low and left. Then I hit his little brother with my truck on the way home. Didn’t kill him either, lol. He got up and ran off.

Get some Muzzy 100 grn. 4 blades. The last 5 deer I shot dropped in less than 30 yrds. and most just yards from where they were stuck. Most of them did'nt know they were shot. The 4 blades zip right through ribs and I think they hardly feel them. One started picking up acorns moments after I shot it in the heart and dropped, another jumped and slowly walked away then licked her side when the blood poured out on the ground like a hose before she went down. Some just shook their hide like they were shaking off mosquitoes as they walked away and fell. I've had a pass through w every deer I've shot w 4 blade muzzies. They are very accurate and they don't cost much either.

Last edited:

Had a very short hunt this morning. I have been seeing lots of good sign behind my parents house and was planning to hunt a stand I have back there in the woods. Last night I told my wife I was going to hunt this morning and my son overheard and piped in that he wanted to go. Crap. There was no way I was burning that stand, in the middle of the rut, with a 4yr old wiggle worm chatter box. So the box stand across the road it was. We sat (he wiggled) for all of 45mins when he informed me that he was ready to go home. I ran him back home and had a hope that I could still slide in the woods for a real hunt. Got to my parents and eased to the edge of the woods. The woodline is thick with grape vines and blackberry and is like a wall except for a few openings. I almost got to my opening when I heard steps. I crouched down just in time to see no less than 5 deer walking off with at least 1 decent buck in the group. Luckily this spot is right by our business so the deer are used to noise and people being around. They didn't flash their tails or blow or run, but they just kinda walked off. I turned around and left 😂😭

4 in 3hrs yesterday morning at the Lexington property. Old man tagged 3 of them from the same stand within an hour of eachother. The fork was trailing one of the does…he decided to take the Buck, doe didn’t run quick enough, so he took that too. And I found out my 270 still works. Smaller deer, but after culling the diseased from the herd a couple years ago…trying to keep from getting overpopulated again and going for volume.

50EFEF28-C6A8-472C-98B1-A183EC30FDC4.jpeg

Last edited:
Same here. Looking forward to it.
I have deer coming out of my ears, all in the yard and woods but Saturday they will all disappear 😆

I have deer coming out of my ears, all in the yard and woods but Saturday they will all disappear 😆
Yep. See my post in the sucks ass thread lol.

I have a set of hand size tracks right across my garden area I just plowed up 😃

I have a stand to move and then I’m calling myself ready. We’ll see.

Was unable to find the ammo I typically use for my 6.5 (123 gr American white tail) so went with 143 gr eldx. Now I need to zero it. Looks like the ol 336 is coming out for opening day.

Was unable to find the ammo I typically use for my 6.5 (123 gr American white tail) so went with 143 gr eldx. Now I need to zero it. Looks like the ol 336 is coming out for opening day.
I was an early adopter of 6.5C but eventually sold it. I am back to hunting with a little lightweight AR with a Burris 2-7, since we moved a long shot is 100 feet. I use Barnes 55g TSX.

I moved one stand today and cut some shooting lanes to the creek in 2 different directions. Waiting for Saturday.

Drew a Kansas tag this year. Went and spent 10 days out there. Shot a real nice buck about 4 days in. Complete pass thru but think I hit low. Ranging it afterwards, I was about 6 yards off and was shooting off a high elevation. Other guy I was hunting with saw the buck the next day across the road with a doe. Made me feel better, but still wished I would have made a better shot. Ended up shooting a 9 pointer on 1 of the last days. Was hunting the first time with a crossbow
Drove back and got home late Wednesday evening. Our gun season opened up this past Saturday. My daughter and I saw some does and a tall 6 pointer in the am. That pm, she’s got a 9 pointer. We sat in stand after she shot and a huge black bear came out at about 275 yards. I had to scare him out of the field to go to her deer. Her deer didn’t make it out of the field. She shot it with my 7mm. I have a few more days off and hope to see a mature deer.

Attachments

• F7E58B84-BA1D-4AC5-8548-7A31DB8B6695.jpeg
    F7E58B84-BA1D-4AC5-8548-7A31DB8B6695.jpeg
    248.6 KB · Views: 118
  • 3CA1DF49-07D6-4584-8117-38F0E6E030A5.jpeg
    3CA1DF49-07D6-4584-8117-38F0E6E030A5.jpeg
    235.2 KB · Views: 114
Related:
Spent the afternoon respooling my favorite rods. Oldie but a goodie. Late 90's Phleuger Trion reel, before they started to suck. 12# Trilene. I've caught so many bass and catfish on this combo, it doesn't even make sense.
IMG_20211116_190104_hdr.jpg

I like the older reels .....
My pier junk is a bit older though.

Garcia Mitchell 402

IMG_0293.JPG.a6f6f58723b8e57713f02254c24eb65c.JPG

And a Garcia Mitchel 386

1637319454050.jpeg

Both mounted on a couple of vintage Eagle Claw 9ft rods.

Eagle claw.jpg

I like the older reels .....
My pier junk is a bit older though.

Garcia Mitchell 402

IMG_0293.JPG.a6f6f58723b8e57713f02254c24eb65c.JPG

And a Garcia Mitchel 386

View attachment 361594

Both mounted on a couple of vintage Eagle Claw 9ft rods.

View attachment 361595
That's before they started using plastic internals.
I swear the older rods had a better compound to them too. There's graphite and graphite composite. The early rods were solid stock and nearly unbreakable. The owner of my go-to tackle store that I've been going in since I was a kid also does rebuilds and refurbs on just about anything. He can talk your ear off for days on the topic! If a reel ever comes into his shop that he's never worked on before, it's because it's never needed it.
It's right up the road from @Wes

Last edited:
The 2021 hunt has commenced!

20211120_073758.jpg

Note to self. Bring pellet rifle.

20211120_080912.jpg

Back