NC4X4 Hunting and Fishing

Taking my daughter out tomorrow morning for her first time.

She's six and super excited.

We walked down the hunting/camping aisle at Walmart and she picked up a plastic flask and said we needed it. I asked what for, and she said 'to put the blood in to drink'.

I told her that's not one of our family traditions. (Apparently she's watched the historical documentary Red Dawn too many times.)

Then we walked past those big hokey/cheap knives, and she said I needed one of those in case we wounded a deer so I could stab it to death. (As she made big stabbing overhand motions)

So... yeah. I think she'll do okay if we get the chance to drop a hammer on one.

She's been reading your book!

As I sit here and listen to dogs barking less than 100 yards from me, and watch horses gallop even closer, it makes me miss what this farm used to be. Growing up we had nearly 400 acres to hunt on, even if we only owned 50. Now, I only have the 50 that my family owns. And with the passing of my grandmother, a third of that is up in the air. The farm is bordered on one side by fellow hunters, and we have agreed to each leave a buffer along the line so we don't interfere with each other. The other sides have all been sold off and split up with new folks moving in and clearing land building and what not. Not to mention there's 4 families (all kinfolk) that live on the farm. Will I see a deer? Maybe. Is as peaceful and relaxing as it once was? Absolutely not. Guess I shouldn't complain, I still have a place to hunt.

20221210_154218.jpg

20221210_154209.jpg

Will I see a deer? That's a solid yes.

Got busted right at sunset. I knew where they'd go, so I slipped out of the stand and flanked them. Found 10 does, and shot the biggest one. When I settled the gun, there was still a deer standing there, so I shot again. The were all of 3 yards apart. I reckon 3 is a plenty for this year. Probably still hunt, but it better be good weather lol.

20221210_175023.jpg

Fulfilled a personal goal and got one in the back yard this morning with the bow. Sitting on the ground, 10 yard shot, double lung plus bonus guts

Attachments

• 859E125C-42CF-4862-9C0E-22B4CB148DAA.jpeg
    859E125C-42CF-4862-9C0E-22B4CB148DAA.jpeg
    328.3 KB · Views: 63
  • E294F073-4885-4C2D-878E-FDAECDEBC60D.jpeg
    E294F073-4885-4C2D-878E-FDAECDEBC60D.jpeg
    364.2 KB · Views: 79
Magnus black hornet 100grn
I've used fixed blades for 40 yrs. and I'll never use the mechanical broadheads. I've heard a bunch of sad stories from friends and their friends using them. Every deer I shot w muzzys did not go far, three blade and then the 4 blades when they came out. The 4 blades are great. I've watched 5 deer I stuck that dropped about in 10/20 yrds from the hit. Nice to know somebody else uses the old school heads.

Last edited:
I've used fixed blades for 40 yrs. and I'll never use the mechanical broadheads. I've heard a bunch of sad stories from friends and their friends using them. Every deer I shot w muzzys did not go far, three blade and then the 4 blades when they came out. The 4 blades are great. I watched 5 deer I stuck that dropped about in 10/20 yrds from the hit. Nice to know somebody else uses the old school heads.

Mechanical broadheads are for people who are too lazy to learn to shoot properly and get their bow tuned in…

I've used fixed blades for 40 yrs. and I'll never use the mechanical broadheads. I've heard a bunch of sad stories from friends and their friends using them. Every deer I shot w muzzys did not go far, three blade and then the 4 blades when they came out. The 4 blades are great. I watched 5 deer I stuck that dropped about in 10/20 yrds from the hit. Nice to know somebody else uses the old school heads.
I still shoot a 3 blade fixed as well. Spoke to a guy the other day that had a mechanical fail. It never opened and basically went straight through like a field tip. Never found the deer.

No me and my dad looked everywhere and couldn’t find it, it would have been a perfect 10 if it wasn’t broke
I like broken and beat up antlers better. Gives it character. You always see symmetrical mounts. Rarely see a beat up buck who’s been whooping ass all rut with a jacked up rack.

My brother’s pond that we dug out in spring/summer finally filled after drilling another well for it. He let me know he had some visitors today…so I left work early and we christened the pond properly.

View attachment 387759View attachment 387760
I’ve got anywhere from 20-40 on my pond lately. Told the boys to have 2 guns ready when we get together for the shoot. It’s going to be epic:D

Posted up on my wife’s family cattle farm in Fallston tonight. Pulled the trigger on a doe and nothing happened. Thought I left the safety on but no it’s just so damn cold tonight that the firing pin was froze up.

Last time I don’t bring my bow…

Anybody hunt Thurmond Chatham game land? I'm heading up there tomorrow for a deer/squirrel hunt and Parks On The Air activation. Plan to drive as far up as I can, then hunt my way to the parkway for my activation. Then hunt back out. Never been to this one, so going in blind.

20221228_124903.jpg

Green and yellow are possible routes, red are places that look good to sit, and purple are the 2 high points that I'd like to setup my radio.

Screenshot_20221228-134325_onX Hunt.jpg

Back