NC4X4 Hunting and Fishing

I went to backyard this evening to feed the deer and I found a had a corn on my foot.......

20230905_202605.jpg

Last edited:
Ok. I'm applying for the thanksgiving weekend hunt at second creek. May hunt Thursday, but probably all day Friday and Saturday. If anyone is interested, I'll make a group.

I'm hoping to bow hunt it, but may do rifle if I've already killed with the bow.

Screenshot_20230905-204125_GoOutdoorsNC.jpg

Think he needs another year.

spypoint-5.jpg
spypoint-6.jpg

I don’t know man. I’d have to see him in the day. He looks decent. If it’s late season and I haven’t killed one, there’s some kind of a projectile heading his way.

Your neighbor is going to shoot him or he'll get hit by a car if you have a shot at him and pass.

I was being entirely sarcastic. I likely wouldn't be able to hold my weapon steady if he stepped out in front of me. Definitely a shooter. I'm passed shooting spikes, but if it's got a frame, I'll take it any day man.

Just like good bathroom etiquette: if it’s brown it goes down.

I'm a 'if I see it - it dies' sort of hunter. I ain't got time to put in long hours hunting for big bucks, or small bucks, or anything. Whatever cute, furry, woodland creature crosses me in open season gets a bullet.

If I'm looking for a wall hanger, I'm going to an exotic game ranch and fence hunting.

It ain't honest work, but you get to kill something just the same.

I was being entirely sarcastic. I likely wouldn't be able to hold my weapon steady if he stepped out in front of me. Definitely a shooter. I'm passed shooting spikes, but if it's got a frame, I'll take it any day man.
If you see it coming close DON'T watch him, look away and just peek/look at him now and then until you have a shot. If you glue your eyes on it and watch him come in close you'll prolly be shaking. Be calm and breath easy and pull and stick it!

If you see it coming close DON'T watch him, look away and just peek/look at him now and then until you have a shot. If you glue your eyes on it and watch him come in close you'll prolly be shaking. Be calm and breath easy and pull and stick it!
Thanks. Ain't gonna lie, I get worked up when a doe walks out man. I guess that's a good sign that my hearts still in it. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned about literally shaking loose an arrow lol. That buck would definitely make my season!

I was browsing and looking at tree saddle kits. They were somewhat reasonable the past few seasons. I guess everyone has jumped on the bandwagon. They are not cheap. Some kits were over a grand. Guess I’ll stick with my old clanky climber for a few more seasons.

I was browsing and looking at tree saddle kits. They were somewhat reasonable the past few seasons. I guess everyone has jumped on the bandwagon. They are not cheap. Some kits were over a grand. Guess I’ll stick with my old clanky climber for a few more seasons.
I tried the saddle and ended back at a lock on. Which wasn't cheap either but the difference between a saddle with a platform and a good lock on was less than a pound

I tried the saddle and ended back at a lock on. Which wasn't cheap either but the difference between a saddle with a platform and a good lock on was less than a pound
I’ve got a few older lock on’s. They’re beefy. Not light. I need some good steps, but I’m cheap. I keep using the screw in style. I can get away with using them on private land. Can’t use them on WMA.

I want to try out a saddle. But yea they are stupid expensive.

Quick sit this morning. I feel more relaxed already. Had a momma and babies stroll by out of bow range, but nice to see them.

20230916_070335.jpg

I've killed many deer since 1976 with no remorse of them. Today I took our garbage/rec. to the dump on Yates pond rd. I was driving down Penny rd. going around blind curve just before the bridge over Lake Wheeler. A saw a fawn fliping on the ground in a driveway just before the guard rail, obviously it got hit in the road. I went over the bridge and turned around and went back to the driveway and pulled in. I got out and the fawn was now trying to raise it's head and panting bad. It had blood coming out of its mouth and nose. I stood there for 5 mins. hoping it would get up and run away, I got down and rubbed its side and it raised head few times. I stood up watched it I got a knot in my chest. I was so sad I knew I had to put it down so I stabbed w my edc in the heart and watched it die. I picked it up and put in the bed w the trash cans a bins and took it home and cut out a tag and cut it up. I found one ham had bad damage and some broken ribs on the same side so it would never live, still I'm upset :(
20230919_134135.jpg

Last edited:
I've killed many deer since 1976 with no remorse of them. Today took our garbage/rec. to the dump on Yates pond rd. I was driving down Penny rd. going around blind curve just before the bridge over Lake Wheeler. A saw a fawn fliping on the ground in a driveway just before the guard rail, obviously it got hit in the road. I went over the bridge and turned around and went back to the driveway and pulled in. I got and the fawn was now trying to raise it's head and panting bad. It had blood coming out of its mouth and nose. I stood there for 5 mins. hoping it would get up and run away, I got down and rubbed its side and raised head few times. I stood up watched it I got a knot in my chest. I was so sad I knew I had to put it down so I stabbed w my edc in the heart and watched it die. I picked it up and put in the bed w the trash cans a bins and took it home and cut out a tag and cut it up. I found one ham had bad damage and some broken ribs on the same side so it would never live, still I'm upset :(View attachment 403929

Been there and done that. It sucks. I feel no remorse for killing and eating critters. But I hate seeing one suffer.

I've killed many deer since 1976 with no remorse of them. Today took our garbage/rec. to the dump on Yates pond rd. I was driving down Penny rd. going around blind curve just before the bridge over Lake Wheeler. A saw a fawn fliping on the ground in a driveway just before the guard rail, obviously it got hit in the road. I went over the bridge and turned around and went back to the driveway and pulled in. I got and the fawn was now trying to raise it's head and panting bad. It had blood coming out of its mouth and nose. I stood there for 5 mins. hoping it would get up and run away, I got down and rubbed its side and raised head few times. I stood up watched it I got a knot in my chest. I was so sad I knew I had to put it down so I stabbed w my edc in the heart and watched it die. I picked it up and put in the bed w the trash cans a bins and took it home and cut out a tag and cut it up. I found one ham had bad damage and some broken ribs on the same side so it would never live, still I'm upset :(View attachment 403929
I've shot plenty of deer as well. I had to finish one my knife after a bad hurried shot. My rifle jammed and i couldn't get the bullet out. One of the least favorite things I've ever done.

I've killed many deer since 1976 with no remorse of them. Today I took our garbage/rec. to the dump on Yates pond rd. I was driving down Penny rd. going around blind curve just before the bridge over Lake Wheeler. A saw a fawn fliping on the ground in a driveway just before the guard rail, obviously it got hit in the road. I went over the bridge and turned around and went back to the driveway and pulled in. I got out and the fawn was now trying to raise it's head and panting bad. It had blood coming out of its mouth and nose. I stood there for 5 mins. hoping it would get up and run away, I got down and rubbed its side and it raised head few times. I stood up watched it I got a knot in my chest. I was so sad I knew I had to put it down so I stabbed w my edc in the heart and watched it die. I picked it up and put in the bed w the trash cans a bins and took it home and cut out a tag and cut it up. I found one ham had bad damage and some broken ribs on the same side so it would never live, still I'm upset :(View attachment 403929

I feel your pain. My daughter found a younger fawn (that we later learned the momma had been hit and killed a couple days before) - we nursed her back to health and bottle fed her with goat formula and lal seemed to be going great. Then day three she just died on us. Watching her suffer out the last few minutes was painful and chest tightening.

Back