New thread.........right now

@trailerlyfe

9755D1B2-0845-487A-881F-67A616B8A268.jpeg

Not glorious like sitting by the fire with a nice IPA and good friends, but close…

Finishing up a full kitchen and master remodel minus some crown for a customer after having to accelerate the project to half the agreed duration because the client sold their other house and was moving in while I’m out of town in Vegas. Basically a week of arriving at 730 and leaving at 3am every day with 3 hrs sleep each day.

Edit: the counter top and backsplash are not my scope and we found out the range hood is not the correct one after install…. So those aren’t done. Once that’s done I can do final plumbing and electrical. 😊

B1280FFE-0AA9-45A3-A577-9EA9ED2405BB.jpeg

Last edited:
Not glorious like sitting by the fire with a nice IPA and good friends, but close…

Finishing up a full kitchen and master remodel minus some crown for a customer after having to accelerate the project to half the agreed duration because the client sold their other house and was moving in while I’m out of town in Vegas. Basically a week of arriving at 730 and leaving at 3am every day with 3 hrs sleep each day.

Edit: the counter top and backsplash are not my scope and we found out the range hood is not the correct one after install…. So those aren’t done. Once that’s done I can do final plumbing and electrical. 😊

View attachment 390814
I like the small fridge slipped into the end of the island.
But whats up w/ all that dead space in the middle?

Also do not understand why so many homes don't make use of the space over the cabinets, that last 12" to the ceiling.
Our house in Lewisville they had enclosed it with long sliding doors. Was great for stashing the stuff you never use, like fancy china and whatnot. Our current house has it drywalled in which is even dumber than leaving it open.

I like the small fridge slipped into the end of the island.
But whats up w/ all that dead space in the middle?
Overhanging countertop with seating. It would still be useful storage, but most peoples kids would break the doors off.

Overhanging countertop with seating. It would still be useful storage, but most peoples kids would break the doors off.
You could use a sliding door.
Or make it contiguous with the other side so the storage is twice as deep.

I have a way-too-tiny kitchen and things like this kill me.

Also do not understand why so many homes don't make use of the space over the cabinets, that last 12" to the ceiling.
Our house in Lewisville they had enclosed it with long sliding doors. Was great for stashing the stuff you never use, like fancy china and whatnot. Our current house has it drywalled in which is even dumber than leaving it open.

I don't disagree with you, but I have to use a step stool to reach the top shelves in my cabinets, and I'm 5'11". Reaching anything on top of the cabinets would require a ladder lol.

Duane

Last edited:
My kitchen does have cabinets that are above the normal height ones. I keep a 2 step stepladder in the broom closet so we can reach them. They are handy for those rarely used items.

I don't disagree with you, but I have to use a step stool to reach the top shelves in my cabinets, and I'm 5'11". Reaching anything on top of the cabinets would require a ladder lol.

Duane
Sure - which is why that is for storing shit you rarely need.
In fact when we moved out I realized that at least one of the doors hadn't been opened since we move it.

(the sign that stuff needed to just not move with us. But did anyway since somebody else was paying for it.)

AFFBE2BD-13CE-414A-A7BE-3965334FDCFA.jpeg

7D2E9EEC-C5EF-4F9B-8528-042E2DFD8F26.jpeg

The lack of use in the island frustrates me. So I incorporated a removable panel in the island that’s secured with some magnets. Simply pull on a handle and the panel pivots and lifts out and the space can be used for storage of seasonal items.

Last edited:
this is a very strange kitchen layout. I would hate having the sink so far from the stove. I am constantly switching between them when cooking and cleaning.

I agree but it’s not overly bad. I like to keep the sink, fridge, and stove as close as possible. But it’s the layout the owners wanted. I tried to get them to put a prep sink in the island but they decided not to

I agree but it’s not overly bad. I like to keep the sink, fridge, and stove as close as possible. But it’s the layout the owners wanted. I tried to get them to put a prep sink in the island but they decided not to
But is that the dishwasher over in the inner side of the island? So you rinse off your dishes and... walk them across the floor to put in the d/w? Surely not.

View attachment 391126
View attachment 391127

The lack of use in the island frustrates me. So I incorporated a removable panel in the island that’s secured with some magnets. Simply pull on a handle and the panel pivots and lifts out and the space can be used for storage of seasonal items.
Great idea. Could have also put that panel on the end, where the wine cooler is, and moved it to the opposite end.

Great idea. Could have also put that panel on the end, where the wine cooler is, and moved it to the opposite end.
Yep. There is a base cabinet opposite of the wine cooler. Could rearrange a lot but for current desires, the current layout works pretty well.

My only complaint is the height of the wine cooler. With the feet retracted 100%, it’s just 1/4” clearance under the counter top. Didn’t leave any room for a notable counter top support to spam across the top of the cooler opening. Only other option was to remove the feet entirely, which would eliminate any option to level the cooler; not ideal.

Back