Post up your weekend project!!

20161127_163954.jpg

Put a new floor and a coat of paint on my mower trailer. Also removed a cluster f*** of wiring and at least a roll of duct tape that was holding it all together. The previous owner was obviously gifted

"Hey, we have some free time today, let's knock something quick and easy off the to-do list. How about running the duct for the hood vent in the kitchen? That shouldn't take long."

Eleven hours later...

TXWNzzyLjnRxl3IqZ6rPmdeaMRLq4LjleTVfZjlcrKE35kJXGAyB11AS8u8DalNXuJL9Iws3xRT8y3E2mDT5uEp4Ogqn8pyi0UlaB56JL-TuvhQlP80y1TShmYA8HYYE5Ups0Ti_2ltmz8X_pmhbSv0km6U0RKYXoZB5ruNC_2afDKIjlgeH-iybK_s9dMkrCUapLrQgo1N5rZsm-vGqbXXHpxb75v8FspWtYW405jK9NusGMXpogvESgPbAtUj8aL6cZtJTXgnPFzRMPB_2701Qx5vOIiMA8AumwomSSl6DMWUeulF_7-Yq00ebl30w55obpqZPimybRHmNgMfAIKwVbvxQYImLhg-la-3pNlsNhbOtHzqHYJhMTVL1evwGdY3OwkUhpG1gXOz5ZuF9O31mg07qGDr1_WB5Iz2oQLawS1_JtOYMhzWIoTFJWEpXywoCU3ymEuE3j7RSKv7mvT89yDJ9l9nW5J8p0l5HWckKV5yet6iLflWgYSLqGGr1CqVAMKX7SeO1Tq_DsWVi6RvtUvFVS0LGyp-ZgYAZYgwom0OBpeNS16r9iEqvNemIJscK6KSZjNPRjifbAqlkmGS_cJoXXPgEDyzxJJbeFBJKLb9TFPIEdw=w1627-h920-no

"Hey, we have some free time today, let's knock something quick and easy off the to-do list. How about running the duct for the hood vent in the kitchen? That shouldn't take long."

Eleven hours later...

As if you knew THAT wasn't gonna happen..

I've been procrastinating that exact same project. Mounting the wall cap on the lap siding with only 1/8" fiberboard sheathing (and keeping everything watertight) is not making me happy. And I think there's a stud in the way, so I'll probably have to run the duct up the wall (like you did) so I can put a jog in it instead of coming straight out the back with a rectangular duct.

And I think there's a stud in the way, so I'll probably have to run the duct up the wall (like you did) so I can put a jog in it instead of coming straight out the back with a rectangular duct.

Ours runs to the roof. I redid the cap back in the spring, so just needed to mate up with that. But there was a ceiling joist in the way. I think we ran out of time before the sheetrocker was coming, so we didn't block out the duct opening. Neither one of us could remember for sure. So I just took a sawzall to the joist until the elbow fit through the ceiling. Somebody can clean up the mess 20 or 30 years from now.

Ours runs to the roof. I redid the cap back in the spring, so just needed to mate up with that. But there was a ceiling joist in the way. I think we ran out of time before the sheetrocker was coming, so we didn't block out the duct opening. Neither one of us could remember for sure. So I just took a sawzall to the joist until the elbow fit through the ceiling. Somebody can clean up the mess 20 or 30 years from now.

You're lucky, I have cathedral ceilings so I'd have 4 or 5 feet of duct between the cabinet and ceiling if I did that. Stupid house.

Shit, there's still a nub of electrode left. Wire brush 'em, stick 'em back in, and let 'er eat.

Damn those things are munched...

Ha...that's what a spark plug with 100k on it looks like. Probably woulda gone longer had I not randomly hooked up the code reader and saw a #5 lean code, and realized it had been so long.

Pulled the old screen off two weekends ago and just been staring at it ever since. Whoever thought it was a good idea to put the trim over the screen with ring shank nails needs throat punched...I broke every board and still had to cut off most of the nails. Will be rescreening the top and building a knee wall with some cypress siding on bottom.

IMG_0666.JPG

I like the fact that someone felt it necessary to put a nail every inch along the entire perimeter of... ....everything.
That's a 100 year old house, that's been re-screened 5 times

IMG_6711.JPG

New floor joists and chimney demo. The opposite corner of the room is 3" out of level and 6" out of square. Have to measure and cut every joist differently so the finished floor is level. Ugh.

Installing new 2x10s for a master bath. The old 2x6 joists were less than anything close to adequate. I sat on one to contemplate the new girder where the chimney used to be and the joist broke in half. So, new joists were needed.

For a 115 year old house it's in pretty good shape.

If you're going to tile the floor in that master bath, you'll be really glad you have 2x10s. Wouldn't be a bad time to use one of the online joist deflection calculators just to make sure you're going to have adequate floor stiffness.

If you're going to tile the floor in that master bath, you'll be really glad you have 2x10s. Wouldn't be a bad time to use one of the online joist deflection calculators just to make sure you're going to have adequate floor stiffness.

Yes tile is going in that bath as is a tile walk in shower. Hence why I needed to go with the new 2x10s. With blocking and the added joists for the water closet and closet walls, she's not going anywhere. :)

View attachment 243322

New floor joists and chimney demo. The opposite corner of the room is 3" out of level and 6" out of square. Have to measure and cut every joist differently so the finished floor is level. Ugh.

Installing new 2x10s for a master bath. The old 2x6 joists were less than anything close to adequate. I sat on one to contemplate the new girder where the chimney used to be and the joist broke in half. So, new joists were needed.

For a 115 year old house it's in pretty good shape.

Deja vu @ramjo?

Back